It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
(male)

Inquisitive1too HB User
Question About Potassium Intake on Lisinopril+HCTZ

I take Lisinopril 20mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg.
I've read that Lisinopril causes the body to retain potassium; and I've read that HCTZ causes the body to expel potassium.

So my question is:
What would be the recommended daily intake of potassium so as to not get too much, yet not get too little?

P.S. - I would have asked my Dr. this question when I seen him today but seeing as how I forgot, I'd rather not spend another $60 just to task one question haha.
I also tried asking a pharmacist but they said they didn't know.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Question About Potassium Intake on Lisinopril+HCTZ

Did your doctor take any blood tests that would include your potassium levels? The normal range for serum potassium is pretty narrow (3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L) Give him/her a call and ask what your pot. level was. If within range, just keep doing what you're doing!

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive1too View Post
... So my question is:
What would be the recommended daily intake of potassium so as to not get too much, yet not get too little? ...
I am on two medications that effect my potassium metabolism. Limiting the potassium, in my diet, is a huge problem for me. When I consume too much potassium, either thru too many veggies, or coffee, or salads, or cereals, I'll have breathing problems and heart rhythm problems, mostly during the night.

According to my dietary spreadsheet, on a normal day I consume about 6000 mg of potassium, which is around 27% over the suggested daily requirement of 4700 mg of potassium. If I go a wee bit past 6000 mg, I'll have problems that night. If I really increase my potassium intake, I'll have breathing problems and heart rhythm problems for an entire day or more.

A while back, I was having constantly increased breathing and heart rhythm disturbances. I went to my cardiologist. He ran a complete blood count for me and my potassium came out high. I reduced some of the high potassium foods and drinks in my diet, and my breathing and heart rate/ heart rhythm problems resolved.

Just wanted to respond with my own personal experiences with potassium in my diet and interactions with my beta blocker and ace inhibitor.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-11-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
(male)

Inquisitive1too HB User

@Machaon

Well that is very much appreciated. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
(male)

Inquisitive1too HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8 View Post
Did your doctor take any blood tests that would include your potassium levels? The normal range for serum potassium is pretty narrow (3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L) Give him/her a call and ask what your pot. level was. If within range, just keep doing what you're doing!

zuzu
Unfortunately I don't because I currently don't have insurance. And as my Dr. has said, he'd like to see me get insurance because with having hypertension, I should have regular blood checks done. And without insurance, they are not cheap. So much so that I couldn't afford them without insurance, given my current inability to work and the fact that I was denied for state assistance.

So until I find some way t finance some type of insurance, I'm left to assume my potassium levels are fine based on my lack of symptoms.

But I will say this much... for as long as I could remember, or at least around the time I was diagnosed with hypertension, I've had heart palpitations. When they did the ECG, they said it was fine, nothing concerning could be seen and not to worry about it.

So I don't know if my palpitations might be a singular symptom of potassium deficiency or something unrelated but yeah, I have to gauge my potassium levels based on any signs or symptoms... as unfortunate as it is.

Closed Thread