It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
My last doctors appointment, what do you guys think?

So today was interesting, I was really expecting my doctor to prescribe me a huge dose of anti-hypertensive drugs but he didn't do so bad. He does want me to add a beta blocker "small dose" to my current regiment and from what i understood he wanted me more to take it to avoid anxiety symptoms than for hypertension. Im still not sure if I want to take that as I told him that I had a bad reaction to beta blockers in the past he kind of shrugged me off and told me to take it and not to worry.. it is a smaller dose so who knows maybe i'll try it. Metropolol 25mg 1 daily. The last time I took it and found difficulty exercising was 50mg 2x daily

He also told me he thinks I have "Labile Hypertension" which is much more realistic than his initial diagnosis of essential hypertension. Basically Labile Hypertension is very similiar to white coat in that a person is susceptible to increases in blood pressure just from stressful/anxious events. In england it is known as "Borderline Hypertension" so at least he is finally beginning to consider that this isn't as insidious as essential hypertension. I seem to be able to generate both extremely high and fairly low readings. 115/70-165/95

He set me up an appointment with a psychiatrist to possibly begin taking some form of medication for my anxiety.. im not too keen on the idea myself. He gave me a prescription for "Lexapro" and asked me to take it and see what I thought. And now im worried about taking Lexapro because one of the possible side effects is high blood pressure! GAH!

Overall I still think I might want to look into a different doctor. The Beta Blockers make it much harder to exercise and he said he took them and exercises just fine "Yeah but you're 60 years old doc"....

Interestingly he wants me to halve my diuretic "25mg" to 12.5mg, so win some lose some eh?

"Creep Factor"- I looked at my bp readings at the doctors office and I had 5 readings when I was with my ex-girlfriend that were 120/80 and below. 5 months after breaking up with her I went back to the office I gained 35 pounds and my blood pressure was 160/90!!! This change occured within the span of five months! Weird huh? My doctor suggested this was possibly a sort of PTSD? I lived with her for 3 years so it was a bit more like a marriage than anything, haha!

You guys think I should go ahead and take the rx's? Thankfully it's the one visit where he didn't seem overly concerned with the blood pressure "Didn't even take it" and was much more worried about my mental health that has basically kept me a prisoner in my own home for the last two years. He told me he prescribed the beta blocker because it can help with the adrenaline surges that I feel so often during the day, but im pretty skeptical.

Anyway im a bit confused about the whole thing, not really sure what to think. Funny enough in the middle of our appointment he was filling out a form for some Rx drug pusher.. so sad that patients have become second to pharmaceutical representatives.

Last edited by dantescritic; 04-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: My last doctors appointment, what do you guys think?

I suggest that if you want to try a beta blocker, have someone write for coreg or bystolic (or even labetalol). Both are vasodilating so the impairment of exercise tolerance will be minimal. I have tried both in the past, and can attest to their minimal influence on exercise tolerance.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

Kimarl HB User

Oh My. Be careful about wanting to be on Beta Blockers. Someone said to me once they will change your life.. They did mine yet I am finally getting away from them.. My fluctuating BP/HR was due to pain from a broken disk & MVP from childhood. Once I had the surgery, pain gone and went into Afib and ended up on the stroke ward with medication induced TIA because my BP plumetted to 55/30 .Fortunately, I am a medical person so I knew the initial stroke symptoms & my husband got me to the ER in 12 minutes.. I was stabilized within 45 .no damage.. I am off Atenolol for 9 days now - a slow process of reducing the 25mg dose I was on. It took @ 3 wks. I had a lot of tachy palps and wide fluctuations in BP, but I stuck with it and now I am off. I still get some bouncing, and high HR , but it stays under 80. I am on Verapamil which is helping the stabilization. Oh I forgot to,also mention, I was only on the Betas for 4 mos. lost 30% of my hair..stopped falling out on the last week of reducing the Atenolol (dose then was 6 .25 mg)
Good luck and consider all your options..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

"I had 5 readings when I was with my ex-girlfriend that were 120/80 and below"
"5 months after breaking up with her I went back to the office I gained 35 pounds and my blood pressure was 160/90!!"
"Weird huh?"

Not weird at all. Dr is right about that it's like PTSD. Any breakup is very stressful. And you've gained a lot of weight since. No surprise to see higher BP readings.

My advice is to understand that your Dr is treating your symptoms. That's all pharmaceutical Dr's know what to do. You tell him you've had a bad reaction to beta-blockers but he shrugs it off. He is hoping to find a 'mix' of meds that will reduce your symptoms with least side effects. But there's always side effects. And there is no one med to treat the stress of life. This mix of meds approach is more experiment then science.

Maybe the meds will reduce your symptoms with little side effects. That would be great. But seems you already feel like your are on a med merry-go-round and concerned you'll have unsatisfactory results again, or unacceptable side effects. And then it will be back again to the Dr to try another 'mix' of meds.

In my opinion your primary 'treatment' should be life event/relationship therapy. Therapy that helps cope with emotion/relationship/life events. One approach will not usually help a lot, instead go for a broad approach with a host of techniques that help cope and manage life stress:

1. healthy diet to get your weight back to normal
2. relationship counseling/support group (everyone needs this after a breakup)
3. exercise
4. breathing/yoga/relaxation
5. activities (sports, recreation, etc)
etc

Hope this helps. God speed.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 04-27-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
(male)

ftbwgil HB User

Hi easygoing guy I have read your posts in the past and you are doinga lot of work on your situation and seeing progress. Of course one should always consult with a doctor for his opinion. It is my belief we are more aware of our bodie than the doctor is. It looks like your bloodwork is improving yet you get spikes. I just had a spike an now looking back the last week or so i started living in the wheel of stress and what if scenarios and while I was living this moment of life stress I remember telling myself oh oh I am going back to the stress. I was 118/78 generally for 2 months and then I checked on Friday and I was 160/105. I believe stress is a huge factor in my case. It is relentless an keping a journal of positive affrimation I think really helped me. So I will give it another shot.
To calm down I drink passion flower tea and Cammomile
I also take 1000mg rhodiola which I will up to 1500 mg a day
deep breathing exrcises
Life seems to take a road of its choice for me as I had a trauma filed childhood and the stress is there due to untalked issues. I am also seeing a psychologist.
I do not take any meds and do not judge anyone who has. I believe strongly on lifestyle and diet. The big problem is once i start feeling good I drop my efforts and the body wants to go back.
I sense that a large part of your bp issues are anxiety related. That is my belief only because I am not in your body.
I think your doing well. The thing about trying to heal without drugs is its tough. The thing about healing with meds is the after effects. Both ways are difficult. We sre given a deck of cards and it is what it is. Its our choice how we deal with it.

I have always been encouraged by your posts. You have made some very good recommendations that I have used Thanks

Good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Hi ftbwgil, thanks for your comments and thoughts. Means a lot to me. Sorry to hear you had a setback, but now I know that is part of the process and will happen. We'll have success and setbacks. The goal is having more success then setbacks.

You are very perceptive about my situation. I had no idea how much life stress was such a major factor in my health. I went through a very stressful past 3 years. Deaths in family. Moving. Job insecurity. Insomnia. Weight gain. My solution to these was eating. Now I've learned otherwise. These all cause stress/anxiety and I didn't know how to cope. Coping with stress (not just physical but emotional and nutritional) in a healthy way is #1 for health.

Stress effects every part of your being. My personal belief is meds don't treat stress. They treat symptoms. And yes that doesn't mean meds don't have value and should never be used. They may be absolutely necessary. Each person's approach to their personal health is an individual matter.

I would love nothing more then take a pill and forget about managing my health. Eat anything I want or even in moderation. Since my success I've recently found myself slipping back into some poorer food choices. As happens to you. You feel better, then start to slacking off. This is a huge challenge in our approach.

I appreciate your support and comments. Take care!

We have little

Closed Thread