It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

cdsmithus HB User
Temporary and apparently very high blood pressure?

About a month ago, I woke up on a Sunday morning so sore I could barely move. It seriously took me two hours to get out of bed, and I could do nothing all day. Felt like I'd just run a marathon, yet I had not done any strenuous exercise at all for at least a week prior. I looked in the mirror, and there was bleeding in the whites of my eyes; not just bloodshot eyes, but the whites of my eyes were mostly covered with dark red and visible swirls of blood. I had to wear dark tinted glasses for the next two weeks to keep from scaring people.

Well, the following day I showed up at the (walk-in) doctor's office first thing in the morning, and explained the symptoms. They took one blood pressure reading, which was 175/120. Repeated about 45 minutes later, and it was about 130/95. I was advised to buy a portable blood pressure monitor and monitor my pressure. I've done so, and the readings range from 120/90 to about 140/100 depending on the time of day and such. The office ran a huge list of blood tests, which turned up nothing. I returned for a follow-up a week later, and basically nothing happened.

So the doctor didn't seem concerned about this, but it was a very scary experience, and I'm interested in understanding what happened. The best I can piece together is: (a) I've found mention that unexplained sore muscles are a side effect of blood pressure medicine (which I am not taking), but that the real cause is just a sudden drop in blood pressure getting less oxygen to the muscles. And (b) the doctor mentioned that the bleeding in my eyeballs can happen because of very high blood pressure that bursts capillaries in the eyes. So it seems like my blood pressure got extremely high for a short period time, and then dropped suddenly?

Is that plausible? If it were you, would you pursue this further? It's cleared up now and no symptoms for about a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Temporary and apparently very high blood pressure?

I think your analysis is reasonable. I'm surprised your Dr dosen't seem concerned as your lower number (diastolic) is always above 90, which is stage 1 hypertension.

Hypertension must be treated as it will cause organ failures and damage cardiac health.

Was one of the blood tests a CRP high-sensitivity (inflammation) test? If so what was your CRP number? If you didn't get this test you might want to.

So yes pursue this further. Do you watch Dr Oz on tv? If not, start watching and watch his archived tv shows about BP and heart health. The ideal BP is 115/75. Of course it can go up high temporarily, but resting average should be not much higher. Averaging above 140/90 is hypertension.

You need to act now. Already maybe had eye blood vessels burst. Don't wait any longer, I'd say you need to take action now to get your BP down. If you don't know why/how BP goes high, you need to start reading and researching as much as you can.

In most cases BP can be brought down to normal with lifestyle changes and nutrition/supplements. A key factor is being over weight. Another is exercise. Another is stress. Another is diet. Eating whole foods like salads, veggies and fruits (good)? Or eating standard American diet fare (pasta, bread, beef, fried, etc). Bad. Look up DASH diet. It was designed to lower BP. Research supplements known to help lower BP.

You have a decision to make. Crash course NOW, ASAP and DO IT, in lowering BP naturally with lifestyle, diet, exercise, stress management? Or start on some BP meds? Meds are brute force chemicals that will lowering your BP, but have significant side effects.

Here's the thing about standard practice Dr's. They don't have time or resources to teach, track, and monitor the non-med natural approach to lowering BP. However, holistic Dr's do.

Either way, meds or natural approach, you need to act to get your average below 140/90 average daily. And then don't stop there, get it below 130/80. Then don't stop there- get it into the 120s/70's range. Meds can do that fast, but will have side effects you may not tolerate. Natural approach can work too but takes longer- 3-6 months, and that's only if you are 100% committed. Requires drastic changes in weight control, diet, exercise and stress management. take care

Last edited by easygoingguy; 04-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Temporary and apparently very high blood pressure?

It's possible that you had a night seizure which would explain the sore muscles and burst blood vessels. It may or may not be related to the HBP readings. Have you been under a lot of stress lately and/or been keeping late hours and not getting enough sleep? Perhaps too much time on the computer? Just some things to consider. The previous poster is correct with diet and exercise and some natural ways to help control your BP. Take care

Closed Thread