It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

Ashura9 HB User
Hypertension with low blood pressure during evening till early morning

i have been taking high blood pressure medics and suddenly 2 weeks ago i have started to have period of low blood pressure. What should i drink or eat to raise it immediately? Am really confused. My dr. Checked me and he says nothing is wrong with my heart and i should continue with high bp medics. I have lethargy, and all symptoms for low bp. Please help, am sacred even to in to sleep sometimes. What should i do to raise it when it happens to be too low? i have bp machine and when i get symptoms i then check bp. And yes could be the meds. I have appointment with other dr. In 2 days. In the meantime what did you do to raise it and be relieved for some hours? thank you for the quickest response.

I did consult my dr and made some changes but still am having low bp during the night. I have been taking atacand plus 16 and metoprolol 50mg for 8 months now, I have hypertension which caused me a LVH. I was fine and on strict diet until late April this year when I experienced palpitations one night. Dr then doubled the meto to 100. After a few days I then started to see the drop in my bp to 90/50. Dr immediately stopped all meds. After 3 days my bp spiked to 160/110! He immediately put me back to same meds but reducing atacand to 8. I started to have headaches, dizziness, light heads, fatigue and drop in bp continued. Dr took all sorts of tests but I was fine apart from the LVH which he said it is same since 8 month ago. So he told me t continue same meds and drink caffeine when bp drops. But I have been avoiding caffeine ever since I had hypertension so I went ot another dr. he immediately reduced metoprolol to 25. Headaches immediately stopped. Some symptoms continued and I would have normal bp morning and afternoon, evening it will drop. Dr removed me from atacand, bp still drops, am going to see him Monday for further checks. But before that am asking you my fellows to help me and give me an idea of your experience on similar problem, Please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hypertension with low blood pressure during evening till early morning

It's hard to adjust to a much lower bp for some people after having higher bp for some time. Your 90/50 is my sister's normal bp! Always has been and nothing she does will raise it...and she still consumes a pretty good bit of caffeine. She's now 65 and has just learned to pace herself and lives with it quite well, Mine used to be normally in that range as well....then the bad gene turned on and overnight I had high bp. Meds brought it down and yesterday it wsa 106/70 at my doc's appt. I think they just need to play with your meds till you find the right combination....maybe play with the time of day you take them?

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
Ashura9 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura9 View Post
i have been taking high blood pressure medics and suddenly 2 weeks ago i have started to have period of low blood pressure. What should i drink or eat to raise it immediately? Am really confused.
Low blood pressure isn't necessarily bad for you, as long as it doesn't get too low; and as long as it isn't a result of heart disease.

For instance, I frequently get readings down around 90/50, sometimes a little lower, and I am quite happy with it, albeit a little bit sluggish and tired at the time.

What types of readings do you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura9
My dr. Checked me and he says nothing is wrong with my heart and i should continue with high bp medics. ... Dr took all sorts of tests but I was fine apart from the LVH which he said it is same since 8 month ago.
I don't understand. The doctor said that there is nothing wrong with your heart, but you also said that you have Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (LVH), which IS something wrong with the heart.

How was your Left ventricular hypertrophy diagnosed? Do you know the measurements of your Left ventricle?

Your doctor said that your LVH is the same as 8 months ago. What tests did he take that told him that your LVH did not change in the past 8 months?

Quote:
I have lethargy, and all symptoms for low bp.
Lethargy and tiredness and weakness are common symptoms of blood pressure medications. These medications slow your heart and "calm" your blood pressure by calming you and slowing down your metabolism.

Quote:
Please help, am sacred even to in to sleep sometimes. What should i do to raise it when it happens to be too low?
You should also ask yourself whether or not you should raise it.

Low blood pressure isn't necessarily bad. It is much better than high blood pressure, in most cases, IMHO.

Blood Pressure Medications are not perfect. They cause your body to do un-natural things. They try to change the normal and the abnormal functioning of your body. As a result of this, the blood pressure medications will work too well at times, and not well enough at other times.

By trying to circumvent your blood pressure medications, by drinking coffee, or something like that, could make things worse, not better.

If your blood pressure medications are causing your blood pressure to get too low, perhaps your doctor should reduce the medications slowly and then re-evaluate. The only way to really know your blood pressure highs and lows and patterns during the day would be to take frequent blood pressure measurements throughout the day.

Quote:
I was fine and on strict diet until late April this year when I experienced palpitations one night. Dr then doubled the meto to 100. After a few days I then started to see the drop in my bp to 90/50. Dr immediately stopped all meds.
Stopped ALL medications? Why in the world would a doctor do that? That's insane, IMHO.

What type of extreme reactions were you having, at that time, that caused him to panic like that? Those medications are very beneficial to your health and well being. You need to be on them, IMHO.

Quote:
After 3 days my bp spiked to 160/110! He immediately put me back to same meds but reducing atacand to 8. I started to have headaches, dizziness, light heads, fatigue and drop in bp continued.
I am so sorry that you have been going thru such a stressful, uncomfortable experience. My goodness. You are taken off all medications, suffer a very expected high blood pressure rebound, and then put back on medications?! Only to suffer from WORSE symptoms than before.

Just being taken off of ALL medications can cause all kinds of nasty withdrawal symptoms! I would NEVER consider getting off ALL of my meds at the same time. If anything, I would very very slowly wean myself off the medications, perhaps, one at a time, to limit nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Quote:
So he told me t continue same meds and drink caffeine when bp drops. But I have been avoiding caffeine ever since I had hypertension ...
Good for you! Drinking caffeine circumvents and interferes with the good properties, and the actions of blood pressure medications. To me, drinking caffeine, while taken multiple blood pressure medications, could have unpredictable and possibly risky effects, depending upon the medications being taken and the individual's metabolism.

Quote:
Dr removed me from atacand, bp still drops, am going to see him Monday for further checks. But before that am asking you my fellows to help me and give me an idea of your experience on similar problem, Please.
I can see why you could be confused, anxious and stressed out. You are really being yanked around by your doctors! Once again, I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this!

Blood pressure normally varies all day long, starting lower in the morning hours and then going gradually up all day until the evening when it normally drops.

What types of readings are you getting during the day? Plus.... have you ever had an Echocardiogram of your heart?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
Ashura9 (05-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Ashura9 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

Ashura9 HB User

Dear Machaon, Thank you for your elaborate contribution to my dilemma. I appreciate so much

Quote:
Low blood pressure isn't necessarily bad for you, as long as it doesn't get too low; and as long as it isn't a result of heart disease.
--So far drs say heart is ok

Quote:
What types of readings do you get?
I started to get 80/50, 90/50, 100/60, in average, it ranges mostly 90 – 118 over 50-69 during evening to overnight. I have to continually drink a lot of water to keep it there. During the day waking up is 125/69 goes to 139-1149/80 during the day. Before that Usually I had a range of (sys) 115 -125 over (d) 65-75 evenings and day is 120- 135/65-80

Quote:
How was your Left ventricular hypertrophy diagnosed?
Do you know the measurements of your Left ventricle? I took the ECG at rest and stress test and ECHO and some blood tests

Quote:
Your doctor said that your LVH is the same as 8 months ago. What tests did he take that told him that your LVH did not change in the past 8 months?
My measurement from recent echo(15 May 2012) are IVS dia 1.26 LVEDD 5.05, LVPWDD 1.08, IVS sys 1.56, LVESD 3.24, LVPWSD 1.56, EF 65% SF 35%, pericardium –N, LV morphological assessment: impared relaxation. While Echo (from25 Aug 2011) IVS dia 1.6 LVEDD 5.3, LVPWDD 1.1, IVS sys 2.2, LVESD 3.0, LVPWSD 2.0, EF 70% SF 42%, pericardium –N, LV morphological assessment: eccentric LV hypertrophy, impared relaxation, no region motion abnormalities

Quote:
What type of extreme reactions were you having, at that time, that caused him to panic like that? Those medications are very beneficial to your health and well being. You need to be on them, IMHO.
I just told him that my blood pressure was as low as 80/50 then he panicked I think…

Quote:
I am so sorry that you have been going thru such a stressful, uncomfortable experience. My goodness. You are taken off all medications, suffer a very expected high blood pressure rebound, and then put back on medications?! Only to suffer from WORSE symptoms than before.
TRUE, I have never felt like this before!

Quote:
Just being taken off of ALL medications can cause all kinds of nasty withdrawal symptoms! I would NEVER consider getting off ALL of my meds at the same time. If anything, I would very very slowly wean myself off the medications, perhaps, one at a time, to limit nasty withdrawal symptoms.
I trusted the dr. for all decisions, reading this forum I have learned a lot that the ultimate of my health lies with myself, I have to follow up closely all details of my sickness and read to know what is happening with my body!

Quote:
Good for you! Drinking caffeine circumvents and interferes with the good properties, and the actions of blood pressure medications. To me, drinking caffeine, while taken multiple blood pressure medications, could have unpredictable and possibly risky effects, depending upon the medications being taken and the individual's metabolism.
That was not all, he even claimed not to remember calling off all meds! That is when I started to have doubts with the dr and immediately went to another cardio.

Quote:
Once again, I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this!
I very much appreciate for all your time and concern, please continue helping me around this problem, reading from experiences, I feel I can learn a lot from you and how you have overcome all the troubled moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon:What types of readings are you getting during the day? Plus.... have you ever had an Echocardiogram of your heart?
it ranges mostly 90 – 118 over 50-69 during evening to overnight. I have to continually drink a lot of water to keep it there. During the day waking up is 125/69 goes to 139-1149/80 during the day. Before that Usually I had a range of (sys) 115 -125 over (d) 65-75 evenings and day is 120- 135/65-80

This is really all new condition to me. Since i year now I have been following a heart healthy diet with no fats, no white, exercise, a lot of vegs and fruits and fluids. It is my entire hope that you members of this community will give me some light on how to move on from here. Many thanks again.

Ashura9

Last edited by Ashura9; 05-20-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

Ashura9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's hard to adjust to a much lower bp for some people after having higher bp for some time. Your 90/50 is my sister's normal bp! Always has been and nothing she does will raise it...and she still consumes a pretty good bit of caffeine. She's now 65 and has just learned to pace herself and lives with it quite well, Mine used to be normally in that range as well....then the bad gene turned on and overnight I had high bp. Meds brought it down and yesterday it wsa 106/70 at my doc's appt. I think they just need to play with your meds till you find the right combination....maybe play with the time of day you take them?
Dear Titchou, to me it was near shock to see my bp drop lik that, I have never had that before, the lowest I had was 111/62, problems is that it comes with worst conditions, heavy chest, lethargy, dizziness lighthead, I have to drink a lot of water to stabilize it plus a lot of peeing too so to me this is quite a change of life and scarely too. I get a lot of consolations reading your postings that explains that im not alone and that there is a way out there... Many thanks my friend!

Closed Thread