It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Anti-anxiety medication for high BP?

My doctor has encouraged me to try an anti-anxiety drug (Lexapro) to see if that brings down my high BP. He thinks I can have success with this and not have to necessarily go on a BP med, as he thinks much of my high BP stems from anxiety.

Has anyone else had any success going this route? He's also prescribed me a beta blocker, but I was thinking I'd try the Lexapro first to see if has an effect.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Anti-anxiety medication for high BP?

Dan,

I like the sound of your doctor-he's trying not to have you leap into the world of BP meds yet. Try the Lexapro and see if it has an effect on your anxiety levels thus bringing down your blood pressure with it.

Stay away from beta blockers if you can, even for anxiety. They have been known to cause lethargy and sometimes even depression in many patients. And they are no longer the 1st drug of choice for essential hypertension with no cardiac issues.

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

this is no indication for a beta blocker. There are psych meds for anxiety, and many antihyertensives better than beta blockers for high blood pressure. Beta blockers are a good choice for neither.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Thanks, everyone. Gee, seems like everyone on these boards hates beta blockers. I'm glad I didn't start my prescription.

I have a very close relative (in my immediate family) who takes Lotrel and it's worked well for him with no side effects. Maybe if the Lexapro doesn't help my BP I'll see if I can try Lotrel. I wonder if it's more likely to help me since it helped my family member (I think the BP is hereditary).

Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
(male)

U2bad1 HB User

Went to dr about a month and a half ago and bp was 150/100. I have been battling fairly intense anxiety for the past 10 months. Bp measurements at home were also fairly high. Dr put me on lexapro and bp has been consistently in 110s / 70s so yes if you think bp is anxiety related i suggest lexapro

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

monica007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal15 View Post
My doctor has encouraged me to try an anti-anxiety drug (Lexapro) to see if that brings down my high BP. He thinks I can have success with this and not have to necessarily go on a BP med, as he thinks much of my high BP stems from anxiety.

Has anyone else had any success going this route? He's also prescribed me a beta blocker, but I was thinking I'd try the Lexapro first to see if has an effect.

Thanks.
I have done both!
I would suggest the beta blocker WITH the lexapro as the lexapro can take a while to kick in. I am doing the exact same thing right now but now I am in the process of coming off the beta blocker (betaxolol)
I thought I was too lethargic on the beta blocker though but I am pretty much done taking it and I am still lazy.

I was taking other beta blockers over the last 3.5 years at much higher doses and they really did make me lethargic to the point that all I did was sit on my butt on day. it was also a way to escape my anxiety though, to get lost in t.v. and now I think it has been a learned habit that I am trying to break.

I am pretty much off the bb and moving around more now finally but it has been a long ride! I take 10 mgs of Celexa and I love celexa! I've taken lexapro too and I did not like it one bit but I know others who love Lexapro and did not like Celexa so maybe give both a try and see how that works.

I dont what bb you may be taking but I suggest not to take toprolol at a high dose because it is quite bad withside effects...I think betaxolol, bystolic and inderal are the best and i've been on all of them! Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal15 View Post
... Gee, seems like everyone on these boards hates beta blockers. I'm glad I didn't start my prescription.
Not everyone. I happen to absolutely LOVE the unique beta blocker Coreg (Carvedilol). However... I am retired, so I can learn to tolerate and live with the lethargic effects of Coreg, in exchange for it's great heart rhythm calming, it's great blood pressure lowering, it's great metabolic benefits and it's great benefits to my damaged heart.

To me, Coreg is absolutely the most magnificent and unique medication ever discovered. To me, as a Beta Blocker, Coreg is best in class. BUT! The patient has to be in a position to adapt to it's energy-zapping effects. That said, I still am able to push through the lethargy and do 300-400 pushups, 300 weight curls, 20 side curls, 12 minutes stepper, 10 minutes bike, plus one hour power walk, per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal15
Personally, I feel that a diagnoses of anxiety is almost worthless. Most doctors just do not have a clue about the cause of high blood pressure, so they almost ALWAYS come up with the diagnosis of anxiety or stress. While anxiety or stress can cause higher blood pressure it is seldom the only cause of high blood pressure, IMHO.

Regards, and best of luck getting that blood pressure under control!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-26-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

beta blockers are great for heart failure and hypertension with heart failure, but this is not the case of the OP.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

beta blockers are great for heart failure and hypertension with heart failure, but this is not the case of the OP.

Closed Thread