It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

monica007 HB User
How long does Beta Blocker withdrawl suppose to last?

So i've been off Betaxalol now for I think 9 days and I am still having some problems.

I had also started HCTZ (water pill) so i'm not sure what is what here.
My main problem is my heart rate. Maybe its normal though but i'm not sure.
I can be sitting and feeling just fine with my pulse about 61 and I get up and walk to the kitchen and by the time I get there my pulse is now 102 and pounding like crazy in my head and chest...

Maybe that is normal but I dont know. Maybe the HCTZ is causing this? How long should it take to get this beta blocker out of my system? I was only taking 2.5 mgs by the time I quit taking it.

My blood pressure is not that great either with just the hctz so am concerned about that. I dont like the racing heart rate though, it is making me feel agitated when it happens so when I sit I feel the best which is what I was doing on the beta blocker which is why I wanted to get off it!

any thoughts on all this?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: How long does Beta Blocker withdrawl suppose to last?

Ill bet its the beta blocker withdrawal. It can last for a looooong time actually. Doctors state that its just a few days, but that is not true. I stopped betaxolol 4/25 and after 1 month, still have episodes of aggravating tachycardia, feeling edgy. I went back on a low dose because I couldnt stand the symptoms.

I would give it much more time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

monica007 HB User

Mind if I ask why you quit Betaxolol after so many years???
do you think you will EVER get off it comepletely and how much do you take now?
thats pretty bad when your system still needs/craves this med, WOW!
i MIGHT just try every other day instead and see what happens...do you think you might try again to get off it?

Last edited by monica007; 06-02-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
(male)

Inquisitive1too HB User

I can't say about the Beta Blocker (as I've never taken a Beta Blocker) but, I currently take HCTZ and my heart rate has never jumped like that without cause (like anxiety, adrenaline, excitement, thyroid/adrenal regularity, etc.).

So hopefully it can help ease your mind knowing someone who has never had that symptom in the +6 years of them taking it.

Take Care and Stay Diligent - It's the surest way to get solid information.

Last edited by Inquisitive1too; 06-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Inquisitive1too For This Useful Post:
monica007 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicaileana007 View Post
So i've been off Betaxalol now for I think 9 days and I am still having some problems.
I've had heart failure for 25 years and have been on and off calcium channel blockers many times (Verapamil), and I have been on and off beta blockers many times (Coreg). Sometimes it has taken me from several weeks to a year wean myself off of either med.

I take 25mg of the Beta Blocker, Carvedilol (Coreg) twice a day. It really makes me feel fatigued, especially in the morning hours. Beta Blockers slow the heart rate and lower the blood pressure by seriously slowing down the metabolism. I tolerate the sluggishness from Coreg because it is so very good for my health. I love Coreg, but I hate feeling so damn fatigued in the morning.

Why did you first get on calcium channel blockers or beta blockers?

Quote:
I had also started HCTZ (water pill) so i'm not sure what is what here.
My main problem is my heart rate. Maybe its normal though but i'm not sure.
I can be sitting and feeling just fine with my pulse about 61 and I get up and walk to the kitchen and by the time I get there my pulse is now 102 and pounding like crazy in my head and chest...

Maybe that is normal but I dont know. Maybe the HCTZ is causing this?
Doesn't sound normal to me, especially the "pounding" of your heart. Most of the time, one shouldn't be aware of their heartbeat.

HCTZ can cause heartbeat and heart rhythm problems. HCTZ, like all diuretics, washes out some of the minerals of the the metabolism that are essential for the health of the heart's electrical system.

Did you have heartbeat or heart rhythm problems before you started taking these medications?

Quote:
How long should it take to get this beta blocker out of my system? I was only taking 2.5 mgs by the time I quit taking it.
If the Beta Blocker was protecting your heart from racing, or pounding, then by stopping the Beta Blocker, the heart would resume it's irregularities.

If you'd care to read it, I posted a thread back on 06-04-2009 entitled: Example of problems when increasing/decreasing Blood Pressure/Heart meds. at the direct link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/696502-example-problems-when-increasing-decreasing-blood-pressure-heart-meds.html

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

monica007 HB User

thanks so much for your reply!
I started beta blockers almost 4 years ago for high blood pressure, it just happend that I had the supra ventricular tachycardia as well since 1987. I thought if I have to take a blood pressure pill then I may as well take one with a double benefit. I originally was on Metoprolol, 50 mgs, I gained so much weight in 3 years and wanted off it.

I went to inderal 3 times a day and got tired of that and went back to Metoprolol and Toprol and didnt like them anymore..after being on inderal I started feeling that all that time I was foggy, gaining weight and just feeling worse and worse daily to the point of losing my job.

When I tried to quit beta blockers back then I went to Lisinipril and was allergice to it with swollen tongue and lips...so back to inderal..then I tried hctz then and I didnt like it one bit. I think I was going through beta blocker withdrawls during this whole mess and didnt even realzie it..now i'm more educated on it all.

I then finally went to Amlodipine and did really good till I went up to 7.5 mgs and had headaches like i've never ever had in my whole life!!!!
I got off it and again back to beta blockers..somewhere in there I got on betaxolol and loved it...

I realized just recently how much I sit on my butt all dang day and thought it was the beta blocker..now I think some of it is learned behaviour and it is hard to get over this.

I'm back on hctz for blood pressure and the Amlodipine was to help in place of the beta blocker...well I took 2.5 mgs of Amlodipine today along with the hctz and will have to see how this combo works, praying it does!

I did try coreg in there too when trying to get off Metoprolol, it made my heart beat so hard I had to call the ER Dr. on call that night, never took it again after that.
I never ever had these problems before the beta blockers..in fact years ago like 1992-ish I was taking 20 mgs of inderal as needed for anxiety and never had rebound with it..so I was stunned when all this came a bout..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I've had heart failure for 25 years and have been on and off calcium channel blockers many times (Verapamil), and I have been on and off beta blockers many times (Coreg). Sometimes it has taken me from several weeks to a year wean myself off of either med.

I take 25mg of the Beta Blocker, Carvedilol (Coreg) twice a day. It really makes me feel fatigued, especially in the morning hours. Beta Blockers slow the heart rate and lower the blood pressure by seriously slowing down the metabolism. I tolerate the sluggishness from Coreg because it is so very good for my health. I love Coreg, but I hate feeling so damn fatigued in the morning.

Why did you first get on calcium channel blockers or beta blockers?

Doesn't sound normal to me, especially the "pounding" of your heart. Most of the time, one shouldn't be aware of their heartbeat.

HCTZ can cause heartbeat and heart rhythm problems. HCTZ, like all diuretics, washes out some of the minerals of the the metabolism that are essential for the health of the heart's electrical system.

Did you have heartbeat or heart rhythm problems before you started taking these medications?

If the Beta Blocker was protecting your heart from racing, or pounding, then by stopping the Beta Blocker, the heart would resume it's irregularities.

If you'd care to read it, I posted a thread back on 06-04-2009 entitled: Example of problems when increasing/decreasing Blood Pressure/Heart meds. at the direct link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/696502-example-problems-when-increasing-decreasing-blood-pressure-heart-meds.html

Closed Thread