It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

gloriak_55 HB User
Need some desperate advice please

Diovan gives me cough and to prove it for sure I stopped Amolodipine and tried Diovan again for about a week and a half and sure enough sore throat, constricted feeling in throat and cough will follow I'm sure. Anyway the Amolodipine was the next thing Dr and I were trying but I hate it. Lethargic and very, very depressed. Very depressed! Will see doctor again on Wed. and just wondering where in the heck do I go from here. I am on a beta and diuretic also which I have taken for a long time. I just do not know what to do. I really liked the Diovan. Brough pressure down and I felt good. I am thinking that calcium channel blockers may not be for me but after that there is nothing left to try. Been on Ace's, cough, been on Arb's cough. Help advice!
Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to gloriak_55:
Pat Texas (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User
Re: Need some desperate advice please

Gloria K,
I understand your feelings concerning Amlodopine. I hate it, too! I have been trying to get rid of it for almost a year, since I feel like crap when I take it. This past weekend was the last straw. I woke up Saturday morning feeling weird. As the day progressed, I started feeling sicker and sicker: lightheaded, weak, faint. I had taken a dose of amlodopine around 3 am because I had forgotten to take it before bedtime. I have never felt that way before and it was scary. That was it for me. Over the last two months I had begun to have strange feelings when I take it---but I did not know what else to take. I will not take amlodopine again. I am still feeling "off" but better. Today I am starting another med---enalapril. It's an ACE. I hope that it works. I have also added some supplements that others have said were helpful to them. I too am depressed---very depressed.
Good luck in your search for the right med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

You could try the other CCBs - diltiazem to see if you respond differently to them. It is a different drug than amlodipine. Your ability to try it depends on how low the beta blocker has your heart rate (diltiazem lowers heart rate).

Another option is tekturna (aliskiren). Its a brand drug though

Also, what beta blocker are you on? You might try Coreg or Bystolic as they are more potent antihypertensives than the old pure beta blockers.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

gloriak_55 HB User

I saw the doctor yesterday and was taken off propranolol (sp?) and put on Coreg 12.5 twice a day and left on Amoloride (diuetic). Anyone on Coreg? I wonder if this wil be enough to lower BP. I do not have extremely high BP 160/90 is what it runs w/o meds. Yesterday it was 140/90 after two days off Diovan. Is Coreg strong enough to hold BP down all by itself?

Closed Thread