It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

monica007 HB User
High blood pressure off meds now what?

I am currently off all blood pressure meds to see where my actual pressure is.
My /Dr. and I agreed to do this...

When I am moving around i will do a dead stop and take it to see what it is. It was good until two days ago and now even higher..

the last two days it has been in the 150's and 90's.
If I sit about 15 minutes it will come down to the 130's over 40's.

My last checkup it was 137 over 84 so my Dr. was not too concerned but now it is actually climbing.

If i check it at a dead stop standstill and it is that high then that means that all day long it is running that high because each time I check it it is in the 14o's over 90's and at times 150's over 90's.

so that would actually be my blood pressure because if that is what it is when i'm moving around and it lowers only when I sit about 10 to 15 minutes and I rarely sit so most of the time it is high...right?

I was taking beta blocker betaxolol and off since june 2nd and then on hctz which was giving me pounding headache and pulse high...then I tried amlodipine in there too and gave me worse headache in my life!

That is how I ended up off of everything and when I got off it was still good until two days ago...

so my question is, if when I test it radomly when moving around and it high that that is what it is all day long unless I sit for a good 15 minutes...when I stop to take it I do sit down and take it and it is high then I wait 15 minutes or so and it comes down...

ok any input would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Re: High blood pressure off meds now what?

I believe a true blood pressure reading is a resting one. All of the guidelines that I read are based on resting blood pressure which means sitting quietly for ten mins before taking it.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

absolutely. resting is the measure. You should sit for 10-15 minutes before taking a reading. feet flat on floor, arm at heart level.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
(male)

68GTX HB User

While resting BP is the "measure," there is indeed a problem imo if all the times one isn't resting the number is much higher. I've taken enough readings over the past 8 years to get a good handle on the fluctuations. My own BP can be 150/90 on the first reading after sitting down, then drop to 125/75 over the next few minutes as I take additional readings. I've always felt that I have a "stressfull" type makeup that tends to jack BP when not fully relaxed. On the other hand it does drop considerably after a nice long walk, a few minutes of slow/forcefull breathing, etc. While I can achieve a 120/80 most of the time during the year after a few minutes resting, I cannot do that consistently on the first reading. It's something I'm continuing to work on. Think of a pump that puts out a redline of 150 psig 90% of the time. But you as an operator come buy and check that pump the same time every day when that system just happens to be in an idle mode...pump always shows 120 psig to you. In reality, that pump is working hard most of the time which in the end leads to a shortened mechnical life. I don't know why this would be any different for the heart pump. Less pressure, less beats per minute both work to extend the pump lifetime. How about driving your car at 90 mph at 4000 rpm as long as no cops are around? When a cop is there you're at 45 mph and 2000 rpm. The cop thinks your car's motor will last to 200,000 miles easy because you drive so carefully. But you know you'll be lucky to reach 100,000 miles. Same basic principle.

Meditation and Yoga are the next things I'll try to see if it can help achieve good readings on the first attempt...all the time. When I take my wife's readings she always gets 120/80 or better on the first try....then it drops a few points to 110-115/60-65. But at least she hits the norm on the first try unlike myself. My #'s above are w/o meds during the summer months. I have a lot more trouble with BP control during Oct-March when I often have to add an Ace Inhibitor.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

monica007 HB User

[well finally someone who understands what I'm talking about! IMO if you are running around doing things laundry' cleaning,chasing kids' etc. right now my BP is 161/92 and all I did was help my mother in law do a nebulizer treatment go potty and eat some jello. in a few minutes it should be semi good again. like your wife I would think ones blood pressure should always be I range regardless of what one is doing with some exceptions. I see my cardiologist monday and am going to ask about this because it really bothers me knowing my BP is high unless resting. current BP 147/91 so yeah its coming g down as I rest buy who sits and rests all day? currently no meds either.

QUOTE=68GTX;5014612]While resting BP is the "measure," there is indeed a problem imo if all the times one isn't resting the number is much higher. I've taken enough readings over the past 8 years to get a good handle on the fluctuations. My own BP can be 150/90 on the first reading after sitting down, then drop to 125/75 over the next few minutes as I take additional readings. I've always felt that I have a "stressfull" type makeup that tends to jack BP when not fully relaxed. On the other hand it does drop considerably after a nice long walk, a few minutes of slow/forcefull breathing, etc. While I can achieve a 120/80 most of the time during the year after a few minutes resting, I cannot do that consistently on the first reading. It's something I'm continuing to work on. Meditation and Yoga are the next things I'll try to see if it can help achieve good readings on the first attempt...all the time. When I take my wife's readings she always gets 120/80 or better on the first try....then it drops a few points to 110-115/60-65. But at least she hits the norm on the first try unlike myself. My #'s above are w/o meds during the summer months. I have a lot more trouble with BP control during Oct-March when I often have to add an Ace Inhibitor.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
(male)

68GTX HB User

Monica007, I know where you're coming from. This same issue bothered me a lot, especially when I was taking my meds first thing in the morning. I was fine until late evening when the meds started dissipating. By the time I woke up in the morning I'd be way too high for my comfort. Eventually, I shifted the meds to right before bedtime to ensure a decent number in the morning to start with. My meals tend to act like supplements that depress my numbers further. Fwiw I use hawthorne, CoQ10, and garlic extract during the day to keep things a bit more even. I've adjusted the timing of these to see what seems to work best. My BP tends to drop during moderate or even strenuous excercise. It's probaby the quick jolts like waking up, reading something startling, annoying phone calls, etc. that get the BP rising....just like yours does with the kids going wild. I think at this point I feel that my arteries aren't anywhere near as supple as they were 30 yrs ago to be able to handle these quick changes. Next time I see my doctor I'll probably ask him about chelation therapy. If there's not a vascular cause to it then there are also those who are just stressfull types that can trigger 50 pt BP spikes on a moment's notice. I recall a passage in Dr William Sears book on Prime Time Health that addressed an executive who by removing himself from a stressfull work environment immediately dropped his BP from the 200+ range to completely normal.....just by a change in attitude and knowing what he was dealing with. Dr. Sears labels these types as "hot reactors." That's not exactly my problem but probably one part of the puzzle. There have been times I've been way stressed out and found my BP to be 120/80. How did I do that? I have no clue. Been monitoring myself often during the day for 3 yrs and I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-08-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

[QUOTE=monica007;5014680][well finally someone who understands what I'm talking about! IMO if you are running around doing things laundry' cleaning,chasing kids' etc. right now my BP is 161/92 and all I did was help my mother in law do a nebulizer treatment go potty and eat some jello. in a few minutes it should be semi good again. like your wife I would think ones blood pressure should always be I range regardless of what one is doing with some exceptions. I see my cardiologist monday and am going to ask about this because it really bothers me knowing my BP is high unless resting. current BP 147/91 so yeah its coming g down as I rest buy who sits and rests all day? currently no meds either.

Your BP should increase with activity. It is a physiologic response to increased oxygen demand by your body. If your pressure didnt increase then you would have very limited ability to do much of anything.....

Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
(female)

monica007 HB User

Atenger, while that may make sense, it still doesn't make sense. If I am active all day and my bp is high all day for the reason you stated, then it would be hard on my heart and kidneys dvd be doing damage as high bp if known to do. That is what bothers me about it.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
(male)

68GTX HB User

At least for me, a 20 minute or longer walk will almost always lower my BP by 5-15 pts. In fact when I notice it's high I often head out for a 15-45 minute walk to start or end the day. My pulse certainly rises during this but the destressing may be what is lowering the BP. I almost never return from a walk with elevated BP. Hundreds of samples on myself over the past few years has proven that. Even a 13 mph - 8 to 10 mile bike ride will often drop my BP when I return. But then again, it may have been elevated 20 pts to start with. All I know is that after some good exertion on the bike, with weights, and/or aerobics I often find my blood pressure to be on the low end of normal (ie 115-120/70-75). I'm sort of surprised too when I see that. I don't know the "whys," only the results. The action of running around the house from the kitchen to the bathroom and back often does more to spike my BP than true exercise. Again, I can't explain they whys. The fact that I can still comfortably perform an 18-20 mile bike ride in about 90 minutes suggests I still have the aerobic and cardio capacity to do most anything I want. But I don't do those more than once or twice a year because that intensive a workout is stressfull all by itself on the body.

I think each person is slightly different and has to find out what affects them. For me, it does seem that stress effects can outweigh physiological effects at any time. And that's probably because I tend to keep my emotions bottled up (ie cool on the outside and boiling over on the inside) or not let things go right away (ie let them fester). Walking/light exercise, breathing, meditation, yoga, etc. are all ways of dealing with that.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

68GTX

How many times a day are you taking your BP and how long have you been doing this for?

In reading your posts over the last few days you have made it sound like you are taking your BP many times a day and after every type of activity and then taking your BP again in order to calibrate and try to understand the activity's effect on your BP - and you have made it sound like you have been doing so for a very long time ..... maybe years? It also sounds like most of your thoughts and daily activities has the intention of reducing your BP.

Have I understood the situation accurately?

Last edited by JeffUK; 07-09-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

OP, you might also consider wearing a 24hr ambulatory monitor to help appease your concerns. This will provide an average pressure over 24hrs, which more and more is used to diagnose elevated blood pressure.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #12
(female)

monica007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffUK View Post
68GTX

How many times a day are you taking your BP and how long have you been doing this for?

In reading your posts over the last few days you have made it sound like you are taking your BP many times a day and after every type of activity and then taking your BP again in order to calibrate and try to understand the activity's effect on your BP - and you have made it sound like you have been doing so for a very long time ..... maybe years? It also sounds like most of your thoughts and daily activities has the intention of reducing your BP.

Have I understood the situation accurately?
I nave been doing the exact same thing!
fortunately for me though that my Dr. put me on celexa for anxiety which has reduced my obsession on checking BP. I think for me that once fully u dear do troll that the frequency if che king it will diminish..

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica007 View Post
I nave been doing the exact same thing!
fortunately for me though that my Dr. put me on celexa for anxiety which has reduced my obsession on checking BP. I think for me that once fully u dear do troll that the frequency if che king it will diminish..

Well, the problem you sound like you have is that you are now in the cycle of being anxious and stressed in anticipation of taking your BP making it much higher than it would otherwise be.

For what it's worth ..... what you said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica007 View Post
My last checkup it was 137 over 84 so my Dr. was not too concerned but now it is actually climbing.

Iso my question is, if when I test it radomly when moving around and it high that that is what it is all day long unless I sit for a good 15 minutes...when I stop to take it I do sit down and take it and it is high then I wait 15 minutes or so and it comes down...

ok any input would be appreciated!
You BP is supposed to be higher when you move around. You are SUPPOSED to sit down and relax for 15 minutes or so to give yourself a true reading and when you do it is perfectly fine. Obvioiusly when you are active it is higher ... and for the first 10 to 15 minutes after you sit down. And if you are able to get it to 137 over 84 at the doctor ...... mine is much much higher when at the doctors - it sounds like you are fine. To do this whilst you are off meds is a great achievement.

I'd try and stop being anxious about your BP and perhaps take it a couple of times a week but only after relaxing for a good 10 to 15 minutes. If it's continually high after a few weeks only then discuss it with your doc .... otherwise wean yourself off of the constant checking to just once a fortnight ......

Reply Reply