It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
(male)

Patch62383 HB User
Is this normal blood pressure????

Hello I am 29 year old male I have a stong family history of HBP. I am currently on meds been for around a year now. I talk my reading quite often around 2 times a week 4 times at each sitting. I average around 132 over 78 I guess I feel like it should be lower but I feel fine just wondering if that is normal everything you read says it should be under 120/80 and honestly I have never seen anyone with a perfect reading like that. I am 6'1" 205 lbs kinda chubby but I am a very active guy although I do like beer a lot I drink about 2 a day 5 days a week sometimes 4 a day on the weekends. Thanks for any advice

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mosa HB Usermosa HB User
Re: Is this normal blood pressure????

Your BP is completely normal. Stop worrying as this is causing you a lot of unnecessary stress. And stress is a contributing factor towards high blood pressure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
(male)

Patch62383 HB User

Thanks for the response I have learned not to worry about it so much, just got worried having issues at a young age. I did get a Droid phone with a BP app that you add your readings into everytime so we get a true average it is pretty awesome but I will stop worrying about thanks again

Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

I was dissapointed to read how someone with such a healthy BP reading can have been conditioned to fret and worry. Your BP is what most of the rest of us aspire to. You sound healthy and should stop fretting about being 132/78.

The pharmaceutical industries influence on alarming perfectly healthy people into worrying about their BP is awful.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
(male)

Patch62383 HB User

thank you so much for the response I am glad to hear these things, I guess I started to worry since I had a doctor how flipped out on me over my readings but ever since I have found a good doctor sometimes I wonder if there people do work for the drug companys to get you on more stuff to keep a hand in your wallet

Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

In the UK - all other things being equal ie not being a diabetic or having heart desease - guidelines are to treat people only after all lifestyle changes failing and when BP is consistently over 140/90!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
(male)

68GTX HB User

Your blood pressure is normal....for someone taking medication. The real question is what would it be if you were off it? That's the true normal. No meds are free of side effects, esp. BP meds. Mine made me light headed, swelled up my ankles and legs, and who knows the additional long term risks of stroke I was accumulating by taking Calcium Channel Blockers? During my 6 yrs of constant daily Lotril I averaged numbers similar to yours and often down to 120/80. But I was also 50 lbs overweight and eating plenty of the wrong foods. Without those pills my BP was up in the 160/100 range. When I dropped the weight and revamped my diet I could get my BP to the same level as it was with meds....at least for half of the year. I'm still working on the other half of the year when it doesn't control so great. But my dosage is only 1/3 of what it used to be and I only take it when I lose control. It will still run into the 150's and even 160's at time even if 120's and 130's is more the norm. It's a work in progress.

But I don't agree that anything is normal if one is on meds and hasn't tried all other normal means to improve. If after improving your diet, lifestyle, etc to a strong degree, and meds are still needed to achieve 130/80, then I'd say that's a true normal for you. Some people need meds despite their best efforts. But the vast majority of the population that are on BP meds are there because they have not done enough in their diets and lifestyle to bring levels down to normal. I kept on taking BP meds for 6 yrs because I wasn't really aware of the possible long term risks...and there are some. It was easier, and healthier to just try to fix the root cause rather than mask it with meds. I'm about 80% home, but the last 20% is going to take a lot more hard work. I wonder how many of our 100 yr old citizens got there by taking BP meds for 40-75 yrs? With a large enough dose you can probably get to 120/80. I know for my medication I think the doctor prescribed a bit too high a medication. The fact that I could eat poorly and still have a good BP was a license to steal.

You may find that a slight change in diet and supplements from here could drop you another 10 pts to 120/80. Maybe dropping the beer would be of benefit. The extra weight around the middle is one giant hormone factory that probably interferes with good BP control. If you aren't already doing garlic and onions, fish oil, less red meat and more cold water fish, hawthorne, celery, CoQ10, plenty of sleep - esp from 10 pm to 6 am, less salt, more sunshine etc....you may find these can dial you in a bit better. In a nutshell, more foods loaded with potassium-magnesium and less salt. That all works. Even more Vit D3 from the sun swung my BP >10 pts.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

If what you are simply saying is that everyone should do all they reasonably can to acheive an optimum level of BP then I couldn't agree more. However I disagree with the idea that the OP should get even more anxious which may be the result of continued misplaced obsession on his BP.

I agree that all BP meds might have both known and unknown side effects. And in themselves some can be particularly counter productive. Amongst my cocktail for example I had been taking a beta blocker (Atenolol) for nearly 20 years. For all of those years doctors and nurses chastised me for being overwheight and in their eyes "not doing enough" to lose wheight. Not once in all those years did a doctor say to me "On beta blockers you will find it impossible to lose wheight .... " leaving me feeling bad for nearly 20 years about an issue I could do almost nothing about.

However the beta blocker works by (amongst other things) reducing heart rate. In my case it seemed to retard my rate to around 50 to 60 bpm. In fact what cause me eventually to become ill with atrial fibrilation was the fact that I became fitter and my heart rate started to plummet causing palpitations.

Now I have weaned myself off the rate is around 85 bpm. As exercise is intended to help you lose wheight by increasing your heart rate and therefore your calorific burn - presumably all the years on the beta blocker has made any effort by me to lose wheight almost impossible. I use to eat "nothing", exercise and not lose wheight. Now I'm off them I'm losing wheight whilst drinking a little more wine .......

So to a point I agree.

However, we all have more in common with doctors than we think. Both they and we do not know everything about what eventually will kill us off as an individual. They are working on population guidelines and averages and we are individuals each with a different destiny.

The presumption seems to be (that causes anxiety to the OP fror example) that it will be untreated BP. But if it that were true .... and it is our level of BP that does turn out to be the cause that does us (or the OP) in ... who knows how much longer we - or he - may have lived before the next particular cause get's us? Are we buying a year, a month or just an hour of extended life .... or is something going to "get us" as an individual even before the moment the heart desease or stroke we are trying to avoid was destined to get us? At it's most humorous ..... will a boy flying a kite, or a bus, or a frying pan over the head - or simple old age get us - preventing us therefore from being saved by all our high BP prevention efforts? Docotrs are working on averages and odds and we are individuals.

And only yesterday in The Lancet a study shows that BP etc is a poor predictor of potential ill health compared to asking how much people exercise - google Karim Khan and exercise. If we have high BP but are fit it may be that we live longer than someone with low BP and who are unfit.

You also need to ask how do the levels of BP we are trying to achieve get set? They are set by people who are influenced by studies to a very high degree funded by pharmaceutical industries. Two days ago Glaxo was fined $3bn .... yes £3bn ..... for bribing doctors and the illegal marketing of drugs that might have led to children becoming so depressed that they killed themselves.

So it is important to understand that no one knows what might eventually kill us off ..... a lot of people lived to a ripe old age without ever hearing the phrase "blood pressure" let alone knowing what it was or what there's is .... We are thinking about our BP as though we will certainly die from it if it is untreated ... but this cannot be true.

And it's also important to understand that a lot of target setting is performed by the companies that sell the snake oil. And some of their drugs cause people to get less healthy .. And even with the perfect blood pressure - this doesn't mean that you will not be caught by heart desease or a stroke or ..... something else ......

I know my argument sounds convoluted. But in essence it is that interest in BP and how it should be treated and and other lifestyle adjustment factors should be a balanced and thoughtful process. It shouldn't be an obsession. No one knows what will get us.

And so for all these reasons ... that I agree might seem contentious ... for what it's worth .... I think the OP should continue to drink his beer ....... as long as like all things it's sensible ......

Last edited by JeffUK; 07-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
(male)

68GTX HB User

I fully agree that BP or even say cholesterol are not the smoking guns they once were proclaimed to be. You might even call them red herrings. But while I continue to optimize my diet and lifestyle, there's no harm to watch to see how my BP responds. I'm happy to be able to stay around 130/80 for half the year w/o meds and a pulse of 55. If I stay unmedicated for the entire winter, I'd probably be at 155/95 the whole time. Not good.
There's a reason why I have a deficiency here. Why not take the time to try and figure it out? The answer could be as simple as arteries not being as supple as they once were and unless that slowly reverses via plaque removal, things won't change.

Fwiw I'm well past BP and also watching as many other key health markers as I can. Coronary and tissue calcification is probably one of the best predictors of longevity and certainly for heart health. I want to get more info on where I stand. In the meantime I have worked on finding out inflammation markers for myself such as HS-CRP and Homocysteine. Both of those are probably much stronger markers for CVD than BP or cholesterol. Fortunately, both of those markers as well as the usual blood lipids and fats were low for me so I haved move on to other things. My next physical will probably include finding out my levels of NO, ADMA, PLAC, Testosterone, and LDL/HDL particle size. It's all a work in progress. I guess the only reason I still stay fairly attentive to BP #'s is because it's one of the areas where my numbers don't fall into line into the normal/prefered range.

My intent in replying to the OP was that taking meds is certainly not normal for over 90% of the population. Most or none of these were around years ago and aren't needed when in most cases there is a natural supplement or nutrient out w/o the side effects that does basically the same thing. Yeah, I've was anxious about my BP. But I also moved on to other things that could be affecting it as well as my overall health. No doubt I am axious about my health when things aren't right. I guess having a poor diet and lifestyle for many of years lead me there.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
(male)

Patch62383 HB User

Man this is just making my head spin, I guess I just dont know what is wrong with me if really anything. I know I should eat nothing but veggies drink no beer and jog 10 miles a day. I guess I am a "nomal person" I dont eat to bad I eat 90% of meals from the house I do drink a few beers a day. I am 203 lbs at 6'1" so its not like I am a fat blob who doesnt do anything. I walk on an average of 5miles a day I work as a heavy equipment mechanic so I do work my *** off sometimes. I guess my opinion on it all is the hell with it I am going to stop worrying about it. I am going to take care of myself the best I can but still enjoy life. I think when it is my time its my time,yeah I can be one of those poeople who worry about working out more then going fishing with my little girl and eating licorice, I like beer I like a little junk food here and there I like working hard and having fun. I guess I feel like it is a waste of time to worry about all of this as much as I have the past year. Only God knows when we will die. I really do appreciate all the responses Thank you all so much for taking the time to write me back

Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

No problem at all.

I think you are now spot on. Your current blood pressure is what I wish mine was. It is highly unlikely to be the cause of what you eventually pop your clogs with. Just enjoy every day and your life and your time with your little girl. She will be little for a very short time ..... so savour it.

Only worry about important things that you can do something about. Of course look after yourself. But be sensible not obsessive.

Last edited by JeffUK; 07-09-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
(male)

68GTX HB User

Nothing to worry over. But at the same time, if you think it might help, start making some very minor changes/improvements to your diet and lifestyle as time goes on. You can try one thing new a week (or month) and make it part of your life. There's nothing stopping you from doing better. None of us is doing it 100% right all the time. If you're at 90% you're doing better than most everyone else. And if you want to check your BP once a week or month to see how you're progressing, no harm done. And forget the 10 miles per day jogging. That's extremely stressfull on the body, let alone the abuse the joints take.

One can get optimum health benefits with as little as 25-35 min of aerobic activity 3X per week...and walking a couple of miles on the off days. Piling on the exercise will eventually catch up to you. And from my own experiences managing heavy equipment operators in the past, that is not a low stress job, esp. when constant time demands are involved. And those that do it on rotating shifts or night shifts get even more stress. There's plenty to read on the subject of heart and vascular health and reducing overall bodily inflammation. I just started re-reading a heart health book I read last year. And in starting it I can see I forget a lot of what I read (Prevent, Halt & Reverse Heart Disease, by Joseph Piscatella).

If you want to improve you certainly can. If you don't, that's fine too. You might live to be 90 just as you are. Any little positive changes will eventually add up. And you just might find your BP improves and you can reduce or remove any medications. Why not do some reading on the subject and see what you find? At a minimum you'll be better informed. I didn't pick up my first book on optimizing health until 3 yrs ago. Wish I did this at age 29.

Don't worry. I agree. But also, don't just put the blinders on either. Everyone should make some attempts to optimize their health, even if just small things. And in the process, your BP will improve. Being smart about one's health is not being obsessive. It can be a very relaxing side-hobby knowing that "you know." Best of luck.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Reply Reply