It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

monica007 HB User
HCTZ and racing heart'

I've been on this Med as of late and then off it because I am sure that it is causing my heart rate to be high like around 102 just moving around where normally it would be about 85. I have tried it a few time with an increase in blood pressure and heart rate and I just don't know if its the Med or my weariness of taking it. Anyone have these problems with it or is it me because I do not want to take it anymore.

I've been off beta blocker betaxolol now for one month and one day and am contemplating going back on it because at least it worked but I wanted off beta blockers...

Old 07-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: HCTZ and racing heart'

HCTZ could cause tachycardia if the dose were high enough to cause some dehydration. You would notice the heart rate increase mostly when upright, less so when lying or sitting. Coupled with being taken off a beta blocker recently, that could be aggravating the situation. Another choice of med for high BP (is that why you were taking these?) is a calcium channel blocker, which lowers BP and pulse rate, but works differently and doesn't cause the same side effects as beta blockers and diuretics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

monica007 HB User

I've already gone through beta blocker withdrawals and before the hctz my resting heart rate was 61 and now is 85 to 95 and upon movement it soars so that's why I'm wondering if its the Med? I was taking amlodipine but got severe headaches.

Last edited by monica007; 07-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

You haven't said how long you were on the beta blocker for. Your heart has subjugated it's own heartbeat control mechanisms to the betablocker for as long as you were on it and it now has to relearn to do this. It's easy to under estimate how long things will take to stabilise after leaving the betablocker.

If your heart rate recovers down to below 100 reasonably quickly after exertion I'd stop worryiing for a while to let things settle down.

I'm recovering from withdrawing from atenolol and it's a slow process.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

monica007 HB User

I was on beta blockers for about three years. I had soaring heart rate and palps and anxiety return and rebound everything for a good 2-3 weeks. I believe I've made it past all that now and that this increased blood pressure and heart rate and anxiety is the result of the two days on hctz. I've lost 3 pounds though as I purposely drank a ton of water to get the sodium out of me. Actually its been four days because first two days I took only a quarter then went to a half. I was able to wear my wedding ring for the first time in years. :-) my fingers are skinny today too and I'm terrified to take hctz today for fear of a repeat of yesterday! So even debating on just going back on beta blocker so I don't have to worry about high blood pressure anymore and plus when I was off Bob and celexa the ear ringing quieted down and now it is soaring again and driving me. Crazy! I actually have been on beta blocker since may 23rd but took half a dose June 2nd. Because the anxiety was too muchbut have nit touched it since.

Last edited by monica007; 07-03-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Closed Thread