It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
(male)

elite gm HB User
Blood pressure monitoring

31yo Male, 165lb, athletic, swimmer, runner and eat pretty well, rarely drink. don't eat much red meat, don't eat much sodium. not much dairy either

Ever since I turned 30, I started noticing HBP. A doctors visit when I was 29 revealed 112/76 bp. Just a few days ago at the same doctor, it was 160/90. But when I turned 30 and my girlfriend checked it one time, it was 135/80 and she scared me by saying that was bad...so now every time i have it checked or even check it myself, I can feel myself tense up, get chest tightness, shortness of breath, and the first reading is always high.

NOW MY QUESTION...

The way I have been checking my blood pressure is like this...and this is solely due to the fact that I KNOW I get anxious...

1. Take first reading and ignore it...it is usually anywhere from 130's to 160's over 80-90
2. Take a 2nd reading 1 minute later (usually always 10-20 mmHG lower)
3. Take a 3rd reading 1 minute later (even lower)

What I wonder is, is my BP really coming down, or is the sudden repeat testing bringing it down?

I will say this...every successive reading I take, I feel 30% less tense to the point where I am doing the 4th or 5th reading and I don't feel anxious at all.

Usually after a few readings, my bp is in the 120's/75-85

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS, IS THIS AN IMPROPER WAY TO MEASURE? For me, it is the only way I have found that I can calm myself down to take measurements.

Last edited by elite gm; 07-13-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
(female)

doodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB User
Re: Blood pressure monitoring

You are suppose to wait 3 minutes between each blood pressure to get the correct reading. The left arm is the best arm to take your blood pressure because it is closest to the heart. It sounds as if you have white coat syndrome, that is when you get never when you go to a doctor or take your bp but then when you calm down it is normal. Make sure you do not check your bp with a wrist cuff because they do not work properly. Sounds like your blood pressure if perfect you just get nervous. Hope this helps! Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
(male)

elite gm HB User

Thanks, this is what I am thinking, but someone told me that when you take it back to back so quickly that it will make it appear to be lower. But I would think the opposite...that if you take it and then take it again, it would possibly be higher if it really was high. They told me if you don't wait, the vessels have not recovered yet and may show a false lower reading...but i think they are full of it. I would like to know if anyone can confirm this is true or false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlegrl08 View Post
You are suppose to wait 3 minutes between each blood pressure to get the correct reading. The left arm is the best arm to take your blood pressure because it is closest to the heart. It sounds as if you have white coat syndrome, that is when you get never when you go to a doctor or take your bp but then when you calm down it is normal. Make sure you do not check your bp with a wrist cuff because they do not work properly. Sounds like your blood pressure if perfect you just get nervous. Hope this helps! Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

doodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB User

If you take it over and over and over your blood pressure will get lower because all over your blood will not be circulating back in the vein so the pressure will not be as high. Make sense?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

135/80 is not bad. It's very good. 112/75 range is ideal but 135/80 is not bad. And worrying about BP does cause higher BP, including the anxiety of taking a reading. If your home readings are 160/90 all the time, and never down to 135/80 range again, then I'd take several readings with several different nurses at different clinics to confirm. If always over 160/90 action should be taken, including diet changes first, and meds last resort imo.

Most important is eating a diet that is 90% whole foods (veggies, fruits, beans, fish, etc) and staying away from processed foods, pasta, bread, oils, etc will keep your arteries unclogged because whole foods are highly anti-inflammatory and prevent cholesterol plaque buildup. This is the best way (imo and proven by research) to have a lifetime of healthy arteries and avoid Dr's & meds, etc.

If a whole food diet doesn't bring down BP then something other than artery health is causing it.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 07-13-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

You are healthy. Stop worrying.

BP is a single factor of many. You are otherwise fit and athletic, eat well and look after yourself. Consistently being 120's/75-85 is fine. It is absurd to be worried about 135/80. She was simply wrong and misinformed you. It is truly sad that someone as fit as you is becoming anxious about something you should be pleased with.

Reply Reply