It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

shiela11 HB User
Amlodipine withdrawal

Stopped taking amlodipine, blood pressure remains low, sometime dropping too low, feet burning, sometime fast HR, extreme fatique. I feel as if I am still taking medication.Symptons are not every day. Tried explaining to physician, suggesting I see a mental health physician.I had problems with amlodipine from the day I began taking. I just have such a difficult time finding a BP med that doesn't may my life h--- from the side effects. Another Dr. prescribed HCTZ 12.5 at my request, taking sporadically because of the fatique episodes I have. Would love to stop all of the medication afraid of what would happen. I have been taking clonazepam since 1993. Have to maintain certain level in my blood stream. Other than a physical addiction to the med, do not have any symptions unless I do not take medication. My main question is how long does it really take for calcium channel blockers to leave your system? Anyone stopped without going onto something else?

The following user gives a hug of support to shiela11:
Pat Texas (07-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Amlodipine withdrawal

I recently stopped amlodipine without starting or taking any other BP med. But I got off it very slowly over a month or two. I think it gave me anxiety (or made whatever anxiety I had worse).

It did keep my BP very low. But I wanted to feel normal. So I did a lot of research how to lower BP via diet/lifestyle. So 7 months ago I got on whole food high nutrient-dense diet and lost 40lbs. It took 6 months before I felt I could risk getting off the BP meds. I like how I feel now much more off the meds, and my BP is also slowly coming down, and now just below pre-stage hypertension.

I've researched all the things that help lower BP: diet, exercise, deep breathing, relaxation, etc. I also researched any food or supplement that helps lower BP like hibiscus tea, beets, dark leafy veggies, less salt, etc. Some supplements I've tried are garlic (take this daily), FutureBiotics Pressur-Lo, Lyc-o-mato, vitamin D, etc. I've just started Soloray cayenne pepper, and a powerful herb supplement I just found that has fantastic reviews of lowering BP called Carditone. I'm hoping I can stay off the meds with these and the very healthy diet. hope you feel better

The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingguy For This Useful Post:
shiela11 (07-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

shiela11 HB User

I eating very healthy, the yo-yo bp causes me anxiety, sometime rapid, sometime too low. I went through this nightmare previously with Ziac. About 10 years past. All these bp meds scare me. Yet physicians are obsessed with the 120/80 or below number. I am not so sure that is realistic as one ages. Presently prescribed hctz, last day taken 7/15 bp averaging 117/62 sometome drops lower. Then, I feel like crap. Awaken with rapid heart rate, which cause panic. which increase rate. It is a vicious cycle. I take clonazepam 0.5 some days twice a day. I am not so sure I ever needed bp meds. My bp rise with my stress factors. Clonazepam will lower my bp and slow the hr.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
(female)

shiela11 HB User

Thanks so much Easy, it helps so much to have someone to discuss this with.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Shiela11,
I stopped taking Amlodipine a month ago. I can still feel the effects of it. I waited four days before starting a different medication---which I took for almost three weeks. I did not like the way I was feeling with it. I am currently trying 10 mg of lisinopril but the dose is too low. I have spikes at night which keep me from sleeping. I am increasing the dose tomorrow. So, in response to your question I still don't feel normal since stopping the amlodipine--but I do feel better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Texas For This Useful Post:
shiela11 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Easy,
I am interested in knowing about Carditone. How is it working for you? I have tried Lyc-o-mato but I did not keep it as part of my routine. Since I have discontinued amlodipine, I am looking for other things that are effective without the horrible side effects. Have you tried hawthorne or olive leaf extract?

Old 07-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
(female)

shiela11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Texas View Post
Shiela11,
I stopped taking Amlodipine a month ago. I can still feel the effects of it. I waited four days before starting a different medication---which I took for almost three weeks. I did not like the way I was feeling with it. I am currently trying 10 mg of lisinopril but the dose is too low. I have spikes at night which keep me from sleeping. I am increasing the dose tomorrow. So, in response to your question I still don't feel normal since stopping the amlodipine--but I do feel better.
Maybe the spikes are the side effects of the amlodipine. That is one of the side effects I had, taking amlod. I always report negative side effects to FDA. It help them understand the medication better. During the time I took amlodipine, I had spikes in my BP, extreme fatique, low BP, changing BP, sitting pressure dropped, standing dropped lower. I was tired all the time. I also am prescribed clonazepam 0.5 twice daily. Some days I take twice daily, some days I don't. These cause fatique also. The two together were too much for my system. I took Lisinopril without problems, then I gained weight and my medication increased. I had a allergic reaction. I told the FDA representative, that I don't think physicians realize when they change your medications, the other medication is still in your system. So you have overlapping side effects. That can be totally confusing as to what is causing what. As of now, I no longer take calcium channel blockers. I stopped 6/22/12. The first few weeks it was horrible, spikes in blood pressure, extreme fatique, heart flutters, heart racing, low BP. But I had these symptons, while taking the medication. So I am assuming the medication remains in my system. Each day I am feeling better. Less fatique, the spikes are not that high. I think, I was becoming anxious each time my BP spiked. That made them worse. I am taking the clonazepam. My pressure is est. 117/65, sitting and standing. The only time it will rise to est 155/95 is walking. When I sit, it return to normal. But, I still worry, because I cannot get a straight answer from any healthcare professional as to how long it truly take to have calcium channel blockers out of the system. This medication is designed to relax blood vessel so blood can move through potentially blocked arteries. Does it damage your arteries permanently? I do not have blocked arteries are heart disease. Oh, well. Love you all for the response. This has been a stress reliever for me having other people who understand what you are living through. Thank you, thank you, thank you

Last edited by shiela11; 07-21-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
(female)

shiela11 HB User
Smile Re: Amlodipine withdrawal

Quote:
Shiela11,
Thank you for the info Pat, I took lisinopril years ago. Stop taking it due to an allergic reaction on the medication being increase. It is an ace inhibitor. I had a life, during the time I took it. Did not have all the nightmare side effect that I had with amlodipine/norvasc. I gained about 20 pounds. If your weight increase your medication must be increased also. I lost the weight. But since it made my tongue swell, ER physicians recommend stay away from it. So I tried numerous medications, end up taking amlodipine. Had negative side effect from the begining but just tired of going from one medication to another. So, I stayed with it. Then I just could not take the side effect anymore, fatique, heart flutters, rapid heart rates, too low BP but rapid HR. All bloodwork fine, kidneys fine. I can tell you this Pat all the physicians are prescribing (for what ever reason) lisinopril. Listening in the ER room. Three of the patient were taking or being prescribed lisinopril. They tried to prescribe it for me. But, I told the ER cardiologist about my previous allergic reaction

Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Quote:
Easy,
I am interested in knowing about Carditone. How is it working for you? I have tried Lyc-o-mato but I did not keep it as part of my routine. Since I have discontinued amlodipine, I am looking for other things that are effective without the horrible side effects. Have you tried hawthorne or olive leaf extract?
Hi I've been taking two Carditones a day for 4 weeks and just started another bottle. I'm also taking cayenne pepper, garlic and Pressur-Lo. My BP is slowly going down. The other day my BP was 136/78 which made me VERY happy as I'm off all BP meds since May 10th. This while I'm having a more then usual stressful month too.

Sometimes my BP gets up to the high 150's/80's but I like my progress.
What I don't know yet is how much the Carditone is doing the lowering, or my diet, which is mostly whole foods with focus on green leafy veggies. I just started cayenne.

Yes I took hawthorne and olive leaf extract for a month but I think while I was still on meds. Now that I'm off meds, I'm experimenting with different supplement 'formulas' a month at a time. This way I hope to find the formula that works best for me. For example this group of supplements was suggested by another member:

Reisha
hawthorne
olive leaf
vit D 4000IU
coQ10

another mix of supplements that is recommend:

grape seed extract
pycnogenol
lyc-0-mato

I did that too in the beginning. But again, now that I'm off BP meds, I'll try different supplement mixes like above and find which works best for me. But it will take months, because I'll give each mix a month.

Also I just found out that Vitamin D acts like an ACE med, but is natural and safe. I'm not sure about the dose needed but I think 10,000IU daily. Do some research on vit D and blood pressure. Amazing

hope this helps

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
(male)

68GTX HB User

I've had good luck with hawthorne and CoQ10 which are part of my daily routine. But CoQ10 is tricky as most of those supplements are probably no more useful than a placebo. I'm still working on the best bang for the buck. I also noted that any residual gum inflammation I had cleared up when taking CoQ10. Have also tried the grape seed extract at times as well. The potassium-calcium-Vit D3-vit K-sodium-magnesium balance is also a big player in BP control. Vits C and E are also players. So is nitric oxide. Trying to get this balance just right if your hypertensive is a lot of work. After 2 yrs I'm still working at it.

I definitely agree on Vit D3. But it seems to me if you can get it the way nature intended (from sunshine on exposed skin), that's the optimum way. No Vit D3 gel cap or liquid extract is a replacement for the sun. Your pet needs Vit D3 as well though their mechanism is slightly different that ours.

I got off 20 mg Amlodipine 3 yrs ago as well as 5 mg Benazapril. I slowly cut the dose back over 2-3 wks before dropping them altogether. Also monitored my BP carefully as I was making that change. Even though I had been on that stuff for 6 yrs I didn't notice any negative withdrawal symptoms. In fact my frequent light-headedness and swollen ankles went away over several weeks. Good riddance!

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
(female)

shiela11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
Hi I've been taking two Carditones a day for 4 weeks and just started another bottle. I'm also taking cayenne pepper, garlic and Pressur-Lo. My BP is slowly going down. The other day my BP was 136/78 which made me VERY happy as I'm off all BP meds since May 10th. This while I'm having a more then usual stressful month too.

Sometimes my BP gets up to the high 150's/80's but I like my progress.
What I don't know yet is how much the Carditone is doing the lowering, or my diet, which is mostly whole foods with focus on green leafy veggies. I just started cayenne.

Yes I took hawthorne and olive leaf extract for a month but I think while I was still on meds. Now that I'm off meds, I'm experimenting with different supplement 'formulas' a month at a time. This way I hope to find the formula that works best for me. For example this group of supplements was suggested by another member:

Reisha
hawthorne
olive leaf
vit D 4000IU
coQ10

another mix of supplements that is recommend:

grape seed extract
pycnogenol
lyc-0-mato

I did that too in the beginning. But again, now that I'm off BP meds, I'll try different supplement mixes like above and find which works best for me. But it will take months, because I'll give each mix a month.

Also I just found out that Vitamin D acts like an ACE med, but is natural and safe. I'm not sure about the dose needed but I think 10,000IU daily. Do some research on vit D and blood pressure. Amazing

hope this helps

Reply Reply