It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Smile Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoyed!

I've endured Heart Failure and permanent Atrial Fibrillation for over 25 years. In 1998, with my health deteriorating badly, and my blood pressure soaring all day long, I started closely monitoring my blood pressure. I took my blood pressure an average of seven times per day, until 2011.

By keeping a log each day, along with my bp readings, I found out I could associate various foods, drinks, chemicals, odors, allergens, irritants, pollen, etc., with increases in my blood pressure. Still, in all, it was a slow, slow process, over the years, finding out what might cause unhealthy blood pressure readings.

My blood pressure has now been at healthy levels all the time, hour after hour, day after day, month after month, year after year; AND as a result of keeping my blood pressure at healthy levels, my health and heart failure have improved dramatically.

That said...... all was not happy. I was taking Coreg (Carvedilol) 25mg, twice a day; and Quinapril 10mg once a day. The combination was sapping my energy, enthusiasm and my strength. My body felt heavy. I was lethargic. Plus..... my diet was restricted. I had to limit the potassium in my diet or suffer some nasty problems. I was willing to endure these nasty side effects from my meds because I felt that the alternative (dying of heart failure) was worse than dragging arse all day long.

Well..... I finally had enough. I stopped taking the Quinapril (Ace Inhibitor), cold turkey, on July 11th. For several days I had increased breathing problems, heart palpitations, ankle/leg swelling and higher blood pressure. I then started feeling much better. Blood pressure came back down to healthier levels. Breathing problems, heart palpitations and ankle/leg swelling got better. Plus........ I am now able to eat larger quantities of my favorites, like broccoli and cauliflower, without suffering any problems.

Goodbye and good riddance to my Ace Inhibitor! I figure, as long as my blood pressure stays at healthy levels, and as long as I stay on my healthy diet; and as long as I avoid heart & blood pressure irritants/stimulants; and as long as I do my exercises each day; and as long as I keep taking my favorite, miracle med Coreg (Carvedilol); my health and my heart should continue to do well.

I have no intention of sharing this information with my Cardiologist. I don't want to get yelled at, and I feel that he would not understand.

I posted this because I had recently read several posts from others who have tried to reduce or eliminate their meds, and I wanted to share my own experience with eliminating one of my meds.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-21-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoye

wow way to go! With all the BP readings you've taken, and work you did analyzing your diet and irritants, no one on earth knows more about your blood pressure than you. It's only been 11 days since you quit but any major withdrawal symptoms are likely over. Still watch it closely and keep us up to date!

Most people who find out they have high BP just take their prescibed meds but don't change their diet/lifestyle. They continue their unhealthy ways and it's a fools game taking meds and thinking they are healthier when actually their health is not improving but getting worse. The low BP from meds is false security and easy way out.

But some of us want to reverse our high BP naturally if it was caused by diet/lifestyle and reduce or stop meds if possible. This is the rare person. It takes hard work to change diet/lifestyle. But it can be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingguy For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User
Re: Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoye

Machaon,
Congratulations! I wish I could get to the place where you are! I managed to drop the amlodipine, but I am not having the desired results with lisinopril.
Keep up the good work. I need to start following your plan. BTW, what is the acronym SLIT?

The following user gives a hug of support to Pat Texas:
Machaon (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Texas View Post
... I managed to drop the amlodipine, but I am not having the desired results with lisinopril.
Hi Pat!

Sorry to hear that you are not yet getting your desired results. It can be very frustrating, can't it? I've been struggling with Heart Failure for 25+ years and I am still trying to figure everything out. Unfortunately, our bodies do not come with instructions implanted on our butts!

Quote:
Keep up the good work. I need to start following your plan.
To me, the best thing that we can do for our health and our body is to provide the best possible, healthiest fuel (food). We buy our food at the supermarket containing all kinds of additives and components.

I don't trust the food companies to understand the effects of those "extras" in our food, on our health and blood pressure. Hell! The medical industry keeps saying that they don't know what causes most cases of high blood pressure. How are our food companies going to know the effects of food additives on blood pressure??

So..... my diet is heavy with vegetables. In effect, except for eggs and tilapia, I am a vegetarian.

What changes are you contemplating?

Quote:
BTW, what is the acronym SLIT?
SLIT stands for Sublingual immunotherapy. It involves immunizing against allergens by placing allergen under the tongue (or under the cheek, as I do it.) The most common immunotherapy is subcutaneous immunotherapy (SCIT), where allergens are injected under the skin.

I found out that encounters with various allergens would cause my blood pressure and palpitations to increase. So, I have experimented with placing allergens under my tongue, or cheek; and I have had some success with it.

Take care..... be well!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-21-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
wow way to go! With all the BP readings you've taken, and work you did analyzing your diet and irritants, no one on earth knows more about your blood pressure than you.
Thanks!

Buts.... I am still learning. Over the years, there's been many times I have exclaimed to my wife that I had discovered another "thing" that would either cause higher blood pressure, or increased palpitations, or breathing problems, etc., only to find out later that I was, once again, WRONG! Fortunately most of the time it has been two steps forward and only one step back.

It's not just my blood pressure, though. I am 100% positive that EVERYONE can significantly improve their blood pressures thru diet, exercise, avoiding health irritants and by taking the most effective medications. Sadly, many doctors do not prescribe the least costly and most effective medications.

Quote:
It's only been 11 days since you quit but any major withdrawal symptoms are likely over. Still watch it closely and keep us up to date!
I think that you are right about the withdrawal symptoms being over. I really feel good and am especially enjoying the extra servings of broccoli and cauliflower!

I was getting so weak and tired and heavy and fatigued, with leg, ankle and feet swelling. I thought that my heart failure and health were getting worse. I was worried. So..... to say that I am happy with the results is quite an understatement!

Quote:
Most people who find out they have high BP just take their prescibed meds but don't change their diet/lifestyle. They continue their unhealthy ways and it's a fools game taking meds and thinking they are healthier when actually their health is not improving but getting worse.
I agree. One can't shove all kinds of garbage into their gut, or smoke, and then think a little, tiny pill is going to make up for the larger load of unhealthy junk. A little pill cannot make up for an overload of calories (proteins, carbs, fats); and can't overcome all the junk that comes in the typical foods that one buys at the supermarket; not to mention the "junk" that one gets with either eating out, or takeouts. OTOH, if my health was better, the first thing I would do is get takeouts or take the wife out for a pitcher of beer, chicken wings and french fries dipped in melted cheese.

Quote:
The low BP from meds is false security and easy way out.
Good point.

There are healthy ways to get a low BP and unhealthy ways. One healthy way is to have a healthy metabolism and a well beating heart. One unhealthy way is to have an unhealthy metabolism and a weak beating heart. If the low blood pressure is from a weak heartbeat, then the low BP is not an indicator of good health.

Quote:
But some of us want to reverse our high BP naturally if it was caused by diet/lifestyle and reduce or stop meds if possible. This is the rare person. It takes hard work to change diet/lifestyle. But it can be done.
Man! Is it ever hard work! I was a pizza, sub, beer, chicken wings, McDs, french fries type of guy. I've had to give all that up. I have to force myself to do my exercise program each day (UGH!).

In my case, because I have a damaged heart, I must take Coreg. I cannot get off of that wonderful, healing medication, and I don't want to stop taking it. It really works great!

So...... some of us requires medication because of physical "defects" in our bodies, for which natural cures are limited.

On another note: I frequently read your posts. You spend a lot of time and provide very detailed information. You give excellent advice. I find myself not responding, at times, where you have already addressed the issue and there is nothing I could add.

I have also researched many of the ideas in your posts, which has been very helpful to me. Thanks!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
easygoingguy (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Machaon,

How much did your BP spike during the period when you first quit the drug.

Congratulations!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

soflsun, prior to dropping the Quinapril, my blood pressure was running too low, most of the day. Prior six readings were 97/57 86/54 95/53 101/59 109/67 and 83/51. My diet, exercise, avoidance, Quinapril and Coreg, was probably keeping my blood pressure almost always too low. So...... I did not think that I would spike too high after stopping Quinapril cold turkey. Buts... I was a little nervous about quitting cold turkey.

Day 2 after stopping Quinapril, 9:12pm 145/84

Day 3, 10:10pm 143/85

Day 4, 12:53p 135/73

Day 5, 9:46p 140/74

Day 6, 10:55pm 126/73

Day 8, 1am 113/63

Day 9, 4:38am 121/65

Day 10, 7:38am 103/59

The higher than normal readings during the first several days, though not dangerously high, worried me. The best way to survive Heart Failure is to maintain healthy, low blood pressure levels all the time!

So, I am gratified to see that my readings have settled down now. I also feel a hell of a lot better without the Quinapril. If I can keep my blood pressure down at healthy low levels without the Ace Inhibitor, then I don't think that I am missing anything.

I also learned that it was my Ace Inhibitor that was interfering with my ability to handle foods like Cauliflower and Broccoli. Those foods are hard to digest and high in potassium, and I thought that I was suffering from digestion problems and not from a potassium interaction with my Ace Inhibitor.

I over-dosed on Cauliflower and Broccoli yesterday and had absolutely no nasty heart rhythm or breathing problems. Surprise, surprise!

Regards...... best of health to you!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
(female)

shiela11 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoye

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
wow way to go! With all the BP readings you've taken, and work you did analyzing your diet and irritants, no one on earth knows more about your blood pressure than you. It's only been 11 days since you quit but any major withdrawal symptoms are likely over. Still watch it closely and keep us up to date!

Most people who find out they have high BP just take their prescibed meds but don't change their diet/lifestyle. They continue their unhealthy ways and it's a fools game taking meds and thinking they are healthier when actually their health is not improving but getting worse. The low BP from meds is false security and easy way out.

You are so right Easy. There is no reason if you change your life style, which includes moderate excercise. shedding excess weight by watching "serving amount", monitor the food you put in your mouth for salt, carb content, try to eliminate stress factor that you should be years later taking two BP medications. Bar, kidney problems, which can spike the BP. This should be detected in your blood work. Thank you for a very informative response. "IF IT WAS CAUSED BY DIET/LIFESTYLE"

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Were those your average, or high readings for the day?

Also, what about the health benefits of ACE for heart failure patients?

Last edited by soflsun; 07-23-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
Were those your average, or high readings for the day?
Those were just individual readings during the day. I don't take many BP readings any more. Blood Pressure is not a mystery to me. Blood Pressure can be kept healthy all the time, for me, thru diet, exercise, Coreg and avoiding the triggers and irritants that cause higher blood pressure.

Quote:
Also, what about the health benefits of ACE for heart failure patients?
You ask a good question, and one that I have given much thought. For instance, in the clinical trials the combination of Coreg and Ace Inhibitors are separately and mutually beneficial to both Heart Failure and Diabetes.

So...... am I losing some Heart Failure and Diabetic benefits? Probably. Buts.... as long as my blood pressure levels and my blood sugar levels remain at healthy levels I will forgo the debilitating effects, and the dietary restrictions of my Ace Inhibitor for a better quality of life.

Are you on an Ace Inhibitor? If so which one? If so, do you get any uncomfortable side effects from it?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
(male)

I am on Atacand, which is an ARB.

Usual dose is 16mg, I am on 8mg...ZERO side effects, and this is confirmed by many others to be one of the lowest side effect profile BP drug that exists. I take for blood pressure though, not heart failure, thank Gd. I'm only 34.

I do take Coreg also at 4.875mg twice a day. I'd love to get off one or the other, but just don't have the ba*ls to make it through the possible spikes during withdrawal...

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

speaking of ACE meds wow I just found out there is a VITAMIN that does what an ACE med does, but even better, safer, and cheaper!

VITAMIN D!

Do research on the net and you'll find it. How much to take? I learned that an adult needs 5000-10,000IU daily and that's if healthy. But if an adult has any chronic condition, such as hypertension, they need 10,000IU at a minimum daily! I'm starting on 10,000IU tomorrow!

Last edited by easygoingguy; 07-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
(male)

68GTX HB User

Machaon,

I'm glad you posted an update on how you were doing. I read some of your earlier posts from 2009-2010 with great interest. And I agree having normal BP while on meds is no solution if one has the means to get there w/o meds. After 6 years on daily 5/20 mg Lotril (Ace Inhibitor plus Ca Channel blocker) I decided to start cutting back on my dosage to see if my diet and weight improvements over 10 months could withstand no meds. I started with a daily 1/2 dose for a few days, then dropped to a 1/3 dose. My numbers rose from 95-110/65-75 to about 125-135/70-85. After about 2 weeks I went cold turkey and maintained in the 120-135/70-80 range. I saw no negative effects when coming off the meds. It was a plus to see the frequent dizziness/light-headedness and swollen ankles/lower leg disappear. I came off the meds in late summer when I was still getting plenty of daily sunshine (Vit D). But as soon as late September arrived my #'s started going up. They continued up through October and November when I started taking maintenance doses of Lotril as needed....along with 2,000 IU oral Vit D3. The oral D3 didn't seem to help that much.

That first winter was tough to control my BP. By mid-May, things were starting to come back down as I got more sun. By August my numbers were 120's/70's. That next winter brought more of the same problems. I wonder if you've run into any experiences with this? Considering your Ft. Lauderdale location, you probably get plenty of sun all year round. I now have a 2 mg Benazepril (Ace) for my backup dose if needed. Haven't taken anything since May/early June. My diet and exercise are fairly strict and very routine. I don't see where any real change here can make too much difference. I've tried many combinations over the past 2 yrs.

Glad to see that you took charge to monitor your own BP many times per day to find the triggers. Rather than produce more anxiety, I think knowing your BP under all types of influences releases one to think more clearly and with less stress. As long as I'm getting several hours of sunshine per week and sticking to my diet and exercise, I know my #'s will be fine....at least from May-September. I'm no vegan but have cut down my red meat to maybe once every 2-4 weeks. I have a small 3 oz serving of Alaskan ocean salmon 3x per week, and hormone free chicken or turkey (3 oz) maybe 2-3X per week. I also have one egg in my salad 2X per week. The rest of my meals are oats/flax meal/wheat germ/plant protein (breakfast), veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and beans/rice/quinoa. I do find that my morning breakfast of oats above with cinnamon, raisins, banana, organic soy milk, almonds, and pinch of pure cocoa works very well in bringing my morning BP right to normal. There's not enough time/meals in a 16-17 hour day to get all the fruits and veggies I'd like. As it is I probably get 4-5 fruits and 5-6 veggie servings per day. Those aren't all organic, but I buy what I can afford. Besides the stuff already mentioned, I usually have each day: blueberries, orange, apple, dried figs, celery, carrots, 2 cloves of garlic and 1/4" red onion, spinach, red cabbage, sweet peppers, swiss chard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, fish oil, broccoli, and spices. Very little of what I eat comes out of a box and I get very little extra sodium other than what occurs naturally in fresh foods...maybe 1500 mg/day. This past winter my diet and exercise were completely unchanged from what I had done in August. So the BP readings going higher from October-April were quite annoying. I even lost another 10 lbs. of fat from January-March and that didn't help one bit. I'm fit enough at 165 lbs - 71" with resting pulse of 55 and can do 13 mph on my road bike for 60 minutes w/o great exertion. If my BP sneaks up 10-15 pts, a 20-45 minute walk brings it right back down. The highest I've gone on oral D3 during winter months is 4000-6000 IU. During the summer I'm getting probably 10,000+ per day (30-45 min5X per week of 80% body exposure). My Vit D levels are 65 ng/ml during the winter.

Would be interested in any of your thoughts on this. I put up a thread about sunshine and BP a few weeks ago. That has all the particulars of the last 3-1/2 years.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-23-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've now been off of my Ace Inhibitor since July 11th. I will NEVER take it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
So...... am I losing some Heart Failure and Diabetic benefits?
I don't think so. I continue to feel better almost each and every day. So..... as long as I continue to feel better, and my blood tests are good, and my blood pressure is at healthy levels all the time, I don't think that the stopping of my Ace Inhibitor has caused a problem.

There are some occasional setbacks, of course, especially after I cheat on my diet. One would think that I would wise up and stay on my diet all the time! Sadly, there are too many good tasting temptations.

I am convinced that keeping one's blood pressure at healthy levels all the time, 24 hours per day, is key to good health.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
(male)

Bou bou HB User

For what my experience is worth, I am very active, ( for 75 ) , thought my diet was healthy but was surprised to find I had very high BP ( 150 - 160) -more after a major indulgence.
The sugar and lipids also not good.
I was given an ARB but the drop was not significant. I then tried a vegan type diet along the lines of Dr Esslstyn. Six weeks in, I am typically 115 / 70 and have given up the Diovan. My wife is through the floor at around 105/75 and she needs to give up Atenelol asap.These results FAR exceed what you might expect from even 2 BP meds.

Reply Reply