HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   wanting to stop bystolic need help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/912713-wanting-stop-bystolic-need-help.html)

snapon81 08-03-2012 12:00 PM

wanting to stop bystolic need help

hello everybody i was reading many posts about peoples experinces with bystolic. and thought id share mine. i have been taking bystolic 2.5mg for about 3 years now for anxiety mainly andwith the help of my cardiaogist i have been trying to ween off of it since yesterday. have been real nervous about the "rebound effect "that happenns but so far i havent experienced any. my doctor told me to take it every other day for a month then qiut the next month. i have been really nervous about doing so but i am ready. the main reason they want to pull me off is becasue my blood platlets have been dropping for a bout 2 years now and they are suspecting the bystolic.currently there at 116,000 any words of wisdom from anybodys experince will be greatly appreciated. thanks btw im 31 5 7" and about 155lbs. and i try to excersize everyday. bp currently 98/58 pulse 63.

bystolic wthdrawl stopping

snapon81 08-03-2012 12:12 PM

Re: wanting to stop bystolic need help

this morning i woke up at 4 am due to my dog barking and i noticed my heart rate was faster than usuall. i woke up my wife cause i wasnt feeling well, after she checked my pulse and it was well over 100+ i was freaking out and shaking like crazy and my heart felt like jumping out of my chest. after 10 min i coudnt take it anymore and took the bystolic. after about five min i started to calm somewhat down. now the question is i dont know if it was the bystolic withdrawl effect or my anxiety doing it( this was the first panic attack i had in 2 years) it was scarry!!!!!!!. my doctor insist that it is a low dose but whatever the case i dont know if i can handle another attack. i am really scared and dont know what to do to either continue my regim or just give up. i would love to be drug free and do all the normal things that a 31 year old should be doing i have a 2 year old son and i am scared to even ride my bike without thinking of what happend last night. PLEASE if anybody has any advice i would love to hear it.

Vocrinthedes 08-03-2012 04:21 PM

I can't speak authoritatively about Bystolic as I only tried it a couple of days. It caused not only severe body aches but also extremely low heart (pulse) rate - I mean, in the 40's (when I normally run in the mid-60's). I stopped it right away and went back to atenolol and lotensin (benazepril).

I believe that Bystolic is a beta-blocker of sorts, which means it shares traits with atenolol, with which I'm very familiar, with more than 10 years of taking it. If I stop atenolol "cold turkey", my pulse races so fast that I will even wake up in a sweat, heart pounding out of my chest. After stopping atenolol once, my pulse DID go up above 100. One little 25 mg pill on an empty stomach, and an hour later, my heart rate was down to the 50's!!!

So it seems to me that there IS a rebound effect when one suddenly withdraws from any beta-blocker. Maybe your doctor could substitute another, cheaper beta-blocker like atenolol to control your pulse if you want to stop Bystolic, and then you might be able to wean off the simpler beta-blocker? I don't know if this is recommendable or not, but just thought I'd throw that in as a possibility to present to your doctor.

Vocrin

snapon81 08-03-2012 06:19 PM

Vocrin thank you for the advice. the reason the dr told me to get off the beta blocker is due to my low platlet count thus the reason for coming off the beta blocker. all my other vitals are ok. he told me to take it every other day for 1 month and drop it all the next month. it was olny the second day that i had skipped the bystolic.and throught the day i check my pressure and pulse pretty often and BAM 4am woke up to the rapid heart rate and EXTREME anxiety that ii woke up my wife and son. i have never had bp problem to begin with. but my pulse has always been in the 70-80 range for some reason in 2009 it shot up to the 100bpm .causing me to quit my weightlifting and running. ( used to be an exsersize freak for 15 years, all went down the drain since this bs ) the dr also told me that if i really NEED to be on something he prescribed me toprol xl. but i am scarred to take it beacuse of erectile dysfunction.(im 31 years old). anyway thank you for yor advice and i will probobly try a diffrent method on coming off. i dont think i can handle another episode like that one

Vocrinthedes 08-03-2012 10:01 PM

Man, if you don't have a blood pressure problem, in my humble opinion, there is [U]no[/U] need for Bystolic! That is a [U]major[/U] blood pressure medicine. If your only problem is a fast pulse rate, then something much simpler, cheaper, and with a long track record like atenolol might just solve your problem.

As I said before, atenolol doesn't do any more than slow my heart rate and stop a little hand trembling (due to its adrenalin suppression). And it's cheap! Plus I've never suffered any erectile dysfunction with it. I usually get by with just 12.5 mg (half a regular pill). If I have any alcohol, I usually need the whole pill (25 mg), as w/d from alcohol tends to speed up your heart rate.

Vocrin

Seekingpeace12 08-04-2012 08:15 AM

SnapOn81, I had the same experience. My doctor switched me from Metoprolol (50 mg) which is a Beta blocker to a Calcium Channel blocker (10 mg) and said to just stop the beta blocker cold turkey bacause the other medicine would continue to control my blood pressure. Well, I was fine the day after I stopped taking it but the following morning I woke up so sick. My heart rate which at rest is 69 was at 110 and my blood pressure was at 190/90. My chest felt a lot of pressure and was having a panic/anxiety attack after another. I took an aspirin just in case and it didn't help. I ended up taking a Metoprolol which brought my HR to 101 and the BP to 158/90. I called the doctor and he said to take one more Metoprolol (maximum dosage is 200mg). After about 40 minutes the second pill brought it down the HR to 71 and the BP to 87/148 which is acceptable. I had anxiety and was bed ridden for two days after that until my body "stocked up" on the beta blocker again. I asked the doctor why did all of this happen by mising just two doses and he didn't seem to put much attention to it. I was able to wean off of the Metoprol slowly and change to Bystolic (5 mg) (another beta blocker) by slowly taking a lesser dose of the former and start on the other. Even with both medicines being beta blockers, I found that I could not just drop one and take another. If I was you, I would ask the doctor if you can slowly decrease the daily dosage to the point where you can then take the minimal dose then take it every other day until your body flushes it out of your system and you can then stop taking it. Good luck to you.

Seekingpeace12 08-04-2012 08:29 AM

SnapOn81, something that I forgot on my earlier post is that if you do decide to go on Toprol XL, please make sure that you don't buy the generic version. My doctor had me on Metoprolol Succinate ER (50 mg) which is the generic form of Toprol XL and I was suffering from chest pains, GI tract problems, my hair was falling off like as if I was on chemo therapy, muscle twitching on my right eyelid and other parts of my body, bouts of anxiety and depression. Always very tired, no sex appetite (although I could still have erections), tingling on my extremities, muscle pains, dizziness, right ear pressure, and loss of sleep. The chest pains were so bad that I ended up in the ER thinking that I was having a heart attack. Other people who take Metoprolol have posted similar side effects. I switched to Bystolic (5mg) and just like that, all of the symptoms listed above went away. All I suffer from now is mild headaches which I am told is from the Nitric Oxide. I am willing to tolerate the headaches which is nothing compared to what I was suffering before.

snapon81 08-04-2012 12:37 PM

vocrin thank you thats sounds like some good advice im going to call my cardialogist on monday and ask him about the atenolol. my heart rate usually under the bystolic is 60-68 bpm and according to the dr with my 2.5mg it olny brings it down 5-7 beats per minute down. so that would prob bring my heart rate to 70-79 bpm which was what it always was years ago. i have also heard many good things about magnesium but havent really tested it. i used to suffer from severe panic years ago due to my job, but i work from home now so im not too stressed out. but since that withdrwal symptom or panic whatever it was good me shook up till today and its been 3 days already. anyway vocrin have a good weekend. hopefully i will try keep my mind off of it and try to enjoy the weekend too . i will update soon.

snapon81 08-04-2012 12:49 PM

seeking peace thank you for the advice, the dr actually gave me toprol xl 25mg beacuse the bystolic is making my blood platlets decrease which is one of the side effects. and he told me that it is totally up to me to take it or not becuase he says i should be ok not taking anything . i think i am ready for that step i have been on beta blockers for 3 years due to panic/anxiety. but i think i am over it by now. i am just having an extremely hard time getting off. they say beta blockers are not addiciting but boy oh boy you try to stop them even if you taper them off you get some crazy crazy withdrawl symptoms, sort of like an alcholic withdrawling. i guess your body goes through some shock or something. i was taking one pill and skipping the next day , but it didnt work for me, i am going to consult with the dr on monday and see what he says. have a great weekend and thanks again for the advice.

Vocrinthedes 08-04-2012 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=snapon81;5034023]i am just having an extremely hard time getting off. they say beta blockers are not addiciting but boy oh boy you try to stop them even if you taper them off you get some crazy crazy withdrawl symptoms, sort of like an alcholic withdrawling. i guess your body goes through some shock or something. i was taking one pill and skipping the next day , but it didnt work for me, i am going to consult with the dr on monday and see what he says. have a great weekend and thanks again for the advice.[/QUOTE]Take it from an old atenolol user like me - I [I]always[/I] GO through [U]major withdrawal[/U] from atenolol (the oldest beta blocker) the [I]second[/I] day that I don't take it, even though it's usually just 25 mg or [I]less[/I] a day - and the symptoms are as you describe - rather sudden and extremely high pulse (over 100), heart beating "out of my chest", and panic (which is hard to separate from the physical symptoms, which are alarming). My doctor can't seem to understand that I can't stop such a small dosage "cold turkey" - I know how frustrating it can be when doctors who haven't had to go through it don't get it. Now that I have some days off my stressful job, I'm going to try weaning again. I have days to be "functionless" - whatever withdrawals cause.

Seekingpeace has some good points. Not all generic brands are the same, and the beta blocker in Bystolic may be different from the beta blocker in atenolol. But I wish you the best of luck in handling this problem! :) You can do it!

snapon81 08-05-2012 11:27 AM

vocrin good morning, thankyou for those the words of encouragement.i geuss its not just the bystolic that causes the withdrawl symptoms. well ive ben thinking hard these couple of days and instead of skipping a day i am going to take a full dose 2.5mg , then the next day cuting the pill to half a dose for about a week. then start the skipping a day after that. i hope this way works . i dont mind if i get a little fast heart rate, hopefully nothing over 110 LOL, anything above that getts me real jumpy and panic sets in and with that the viscious cycle starts again. but i geuss i have to dust myself off and get back on the horse and tough it out.im still pretty worried but i try to keep it inside cause then my wife starts to worry too. Have you started your tapering procsess, if so how is it working for you. hope all is well and will update soon.