It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Smile Vitamin D and blood pressure. How much? Sun or supplement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTX View Post
.....I came off the meds in late August when I was still getting plenty of daily sunshine (Vit D). But as soon as later September arrived my #'s started going up. They continued up through October and November when I started taking maintenance doses of Lotril as needed....along with 2,000 IU oral Vit D3.

That first winter was tough to control my BP. By May, things were starting to come back down as I got more sun. By August my numbers were 120's/70's. That next winter brought more of the same problems. I wonder if you've run into any experiences with this?...
I had same problem last winter and my BP was high and I had winter blues. But what I just found out doing research today is that 2000IU vit D is not enough, especially in winter. I read that those with hypertension need 10000IU daily. I just found this today. Last winter I didn't even take vit D and my level was only 25 (I found out from a recent blood test). Level should be 60-100 at LEAST! I'm starting on 10,000IU daily tomorrow and for sure all winter.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 07-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
(male)

68GTX HB User
Re: Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoye

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
I had same problem last winter and my BP was high and I had winter blues. But what I just found out doing research today is that 2000IU vit D is not enough, especially in winter. I read that those with hypertension need 10000IU daily. I just found this today. Last winter I didn't even take vit D and my level was only 25 (I found out from a recent blood test). Level should be 60-100 at LEAST! I'm starting on 10,000IU daily tomorrow and for sure all winter.
The last 2 winters I also did some indoor tanning with mixed UVa/UVb beds as mentioned by both Drs. Mercola and Holick. Any bouts of winter blues disappeared the last 2 years. My D3 levels were also in the high normal range (65-66) so that isn't the problem. Holick has mentioned that oral Vit D3 alone won't provide all the benefits that sun/uv rays provide. There are other reactions/processes occuring in the body that need this uv exposure to work. Holick also goes on to say that it is a well known effect that BP rises as you move further away from equator. It's just a matter of how much it rises for each individual. The effect is probably widely variable for different body types, genes, etc. Some cancer rates increase as well as you get further from the equator. So Vit D's role seems quite important. I do tend to like my home quite cool in the winter as I just don't like the heat on. Maybe that plays some role in Dec-March, but it can't explain what's happening from Sept-October when 70 degree days are still pretty common.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, Quinapril, cold turkey, July 11th. I am overjoye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTX View Post
The last 2 winters I also did some indoor tanning with mixed UVa/UVb beds as mentioned by both Drs. Mercola and Holick. Any bouts of winter blues disappeared the last 2 years. My D3 levels were also in the high normal range (65-66) so that isn't the problem. Holick has mentioned that oral Vit D3 alone won't provide all the benefits that sun/uv rays provide. There are other reactions/processes occuring in the body that need this uv exposure to work. Holick also goes on to say that it is a well known effect that BP rises as you move further away from equator. It's just a matter of how much it rises for each individual. The effect is probably widely variable for different body types, genes, etc. Some cancer rates increase as well as you get further from the equator. So Vit D's role seems quite important. I do tend to like my home quite cool in the winter as I just don't like the heat on. Maybe that plays some role in Dec-March, but it can't explain what's happening from Sept-October when 70 degree days are still pretty common.
thanks for the info. I did more research and confirm what you wrote. I now plan to get 15-20 minutes of near full body sunbathing daily if possible and avoid the D3 supplements. That should give me about 10,000IU. I read sun exposure should be between 10am-2pm.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
(male)

68GTX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
thanks for the info. I did more research and confirm what you wrote. I now plan to get 15-20 minutes of near full body sunbathing daily if possible and avoid the D3 supplements. That should give me about 10,000 IU. I read sun exposure should be between 10am-2pm.
I don't know if you can get 10,000 IU from only 15-20 min but it's certainly possible, especially for fair skinned people in southern climates where the UV index is higher. The 10-2 am time is optimal in that you don't need quite as much time to get the same benefit. If one can only get it at 3 pm, then 20-30minutes at that time might be equivalent. And I would think in most parts of the US in summertime, UV rays can still pack some benefit up to around 4-5 pm. up here in New England. In Florida, you might get the same UV intensity up until around 6 pm. There are charts and UV indicies readily available on the web to give you that information.

I know decades ago I tanned a bit after work from 3:30-4:30 and still got a visible tan. So there was definitely decent UV action going on there. People's bodies are different as well in that the the UV process can be more or less efficient. As one ages this process starts to slow down, just as digestive absorption of vitamin D does. Once in your 60's or 70's the exposure times would probably have to be longer for the same benefit. People with darker skin or deep tans don't absorb Vit D as well as lighter skinned people. And there are people that cannot absorb Vit D via foods (ie types of Crohn's) so that UV exposure is their only option all year round.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Look up "cold induced hypertension."

It may be the temperature and not the sunshine...

The Following User Says Thank You to soflsun For This Useful Post:
68GTX (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
(male)

68GTX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
Look up "cold induced hypertension."
It may be the temperature and not the sunshine...

Thanks Soflsun! Maybe the "obvious" and simple answer is the best. I sort of ignored cold weather as being responsible for a 15-20 pt swing in my winter BP. Just hung it on Vit D/UV ray changes. But in reading some quick references under "cold weather hypertension" I found a lot of good stuff. I don't know why this isn't listed in any of the dozen or so heart/health books I've read over the past 3 years. Not one of them listed this as a potentially significant source of BP changes. It seems that a 15-20 F change in ambient temperature could easily give a 10-15 pt swing in BP in some people. And since I've liked to keep my house very cool in the winters, it could be a significant source. My feet and hands have always been very susceptible to the winter cold where they get to the point of numbing up fairly quick. This all sort of fits. And with my weight loss over the past 3 yrs, I'm probably more susceptible than ever. When taking BP meds daily for 7 years while also being fat, I never noticed any significant winter BP variations. This winter the thermostat will be set higher and I will dress even more warmly. But, I also read where for elderly people, the hot weather can raise their BP during the nightime. So, there's not necessarily a free lunch here. Thanks again Soflsun!

In reading around today also ran across an interesting Vit D study reported by the Science Daily on May 29th 2012 (orig published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism). The study involved 247,000 Copenhageners. The finding was that your chances of dying are 1.42X greater with a Vit D level of 140 nmol/liter (56 ng/ml). And if your levels are <10 nmol/liter (2.5 ng/ml) your odds of dying are increased by 2.31X. The optimum level turns out to be 50 nmol/liter (20 ng/ml) where you have no additional risk of dying. That's well below the currently recommended US levels of 30-50 ng/ml. They have no idea what gave these results. More confusion all around it seems. So if my pre-hypertensive BP doesn't get me, my "elevated" Vit D levels (65 ng/ml) surely will. I also read on this same website that the standard Vit D tests can fluctuate with 50-80% variation. I think I'll stop reading for the day.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Reply Reply