It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Am I taking too much medicine?

Hello everyone. I have been on beta blockers for about two months due to a high BP reading (190/90) when I visited my doctor. I was on Metoprolol Succinate (50 mg) and now on Bystolic (5 mg). my current BP is around 135/80. The problem is that I suffer from severe side effects. I noticed that if I have a cola drink that it helps with the symptoms. I also found that if I take Advil (400mg) once a day it helps as well. After reading on this board and others, I have found information that both raise your blood pressure and heart rate. So do you think that maybe the medicine is lowering my BP and HR too much? I know that the text book BP is 120/80 but that seems to make me light-headed, dizzy, chest pains which I think are stomach related and get so cold that in a room where people are comfortable I have to wear a light jacket to keep me warm. When I drink the cola drink or ibuprofen my BP jumps to about 145/87 and thatís when I feel my best. I am in my late 40, normal weight, donít smoke or drink and watch what I eat. I used to exercise but the beta blockers make me too tired to do any exercise. I would appreciate your opinion and any input if you have tried this yourself.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User
Re: Am I taking too much medicine?

I was on metoprolol 50mg too. Like you I was TIRED all the time. Never wanted to do anything. I used to go to the gym a lot. Then all I wanted to do was sit and watch TV all day. I also had a craving for cola drinks; I guess my body needed the sugar and caffeine. My HR was in the 50's. I am now on 12.5mg of metorpolol and will eventually go off it entirely. HR is now in the upper 60's to low 70's. You have to wean off BB's carefully. Within 2 days of going from 50 to 25mg, I went out an cleaned out my garden! My doc added 10mg. lisinopril. BP at the docs office yesterday was 120/80.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Cook, thank you for sharing your experience. How do you feel now that you’ve reached the ideal 120/80? Do you feel normal or are you experiencing any symptoms related to “low blood pressure”? I think that for me 120/80 is too low since it has been my experience that 10 to 15 points higher in the systolic and 5-7 points higher in the diastolic are ideal for me. Maybe if I cut my medicine in half I will feel better? I think that’s what the Advil and cola drinks are doing. You and others on this board have inspired me to eventually get off of the beta blockers. Not only because of the side effects and what it is doing to my life but also because I’ve noticed my wife worries too much about what I am going through. I tried getting off of them once "cold turkey" and found the hard way that you can't. I’ll have to wean off slowly just like you have.

I have an appointment with my Cardiologist next week and I am going to ask for a blood test and Xanax. The blood test because other forum members have discovered that their sugar levels have changed as well as their red and white cells in the blood after taking beta blockers. I want Xanax because I've read that it can drop your blood pressure fast and get rid of any anxiety from weaning off of the medicine. I know that Xanax can be addictive, but I think that having it in case of an emergency (as a safety net) will help me cope with the withdrawal symptoms until I get the Bystolic out of my system.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User

The way felt was IMO was related to side effects of the beta blocker rather than the blood pressure in numbers. 120/80 is more or less what your pressure should be. My bp wasn't bad. It was 135/85 at the doctor's office but would soar up to 160/90 if I got nervous enough. It sounds to me as if your symptoms are more related to your current combination of meds than your actual bp numbers. I found a big improvement in how I felt after my meds were changed and "rebalanced". You should work with your cardiologist to find the right balance for you. As for xanax, yes, I got an RX for it as you say, "just in case" if I found my numbers got too high. But I was always fearful of becoming dependent so I didn't take it very much. I did find it helpful if I had a doctor's appointment and was going to get my bp checked as I suffered from white coat syndrome at the time. My last readings at the doctor were 120/70 and 120/80 without resorting to xanax so I was very happy about that. Adding lisinopril and reducing the beta blocker made a big difference. I actually feel less nervous now.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

LittleLadyBug25 HB User

I saw this post and thought maybe this could pertain to me as well. I am on three different medicines and sometimes I get readings of 100s/50s. I am tired all the time. The dr. recently put me on lexapro for anxiety which makes me even more tired. I am wondering if since starting the lexapro if maybe it has lowered my blood pressure? Although with light exercise or daily activities my bp can go up to 140/80s but always comes back down to numbers like these? What should I do? Ive called the dr. and they don't seem too concerned. But I cant see how it is safe to have readings so low. Replies are appreciated.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Beta blockers can definitely cause fatigue, poor exercise tolerance and even depression. Coming off 5mg Bystolic should not be hard. The ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril are very effective and less likely to cause side effects. I would ask your Dr. about one of those.
Getting down to the 100/50 level when on antihypertensives is low, and with 3 different meds, maybe one could be dropped upon advice of your Dr.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

LittleLadyBug25 HB User

The medicines I am currently taking are lisinopril 10mg once daily, metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice a day, hydrochlorothiazide 25mg once daily.
Are these large doses?
When starting I was on metoprolol tartrate, adding the hydrochlorothiazide, and then adding lisinopril last.

I called my doctor today just waiting on the call back.

Last edited by LittleLadyBug25; 09-11-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: left out info

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Of what you are taking, the metoprolol (beta blocker) and HCTZ (diurectic) can both cause fatigue, the HCTZ by lowering potassium. Both those doses could easily be cut in half. In my opinion the Lisinopril is the best thing you are on. Dose range is 5-80 mg. So that could be raised, and the others lowered, and perhaps even eliminated. The HCTZ and Metoprolol should be tapered off if Dr agrees, and you will need careful BP monitoring in the process to make sure BP is not going too high. For example, Lisinopril could go up to 20 with the other 2 cut in half. After a few weeks, the HCTZ could be stopped. Then, if doing ok, the beta blocker could be cut in half again to 12.5 mg once a day. With consistent monitoring and communication with your Dr., you could end up on just Lisinopril 20-40mg/day by itself. That would be great, but of course your Dr. knows you best and should advise your changes.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
(female)

LittleLadyBug25 HB User

Thank you. Hopefully I hear something today. Being 28 and on these meds really stinks!

Last edited by LittleLadyBug25; 09-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
(female)

LittleLadyBug25 HB User

Still have not heard anything from my doctor. Today I got readings of 90s/50s.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
(male)

LittleladyBug, I’ve decided to come off of this terrible (for me) medicine since I think that yes! I am taking too much medicine. I tried once before to get off cold-turkey and that was a terrible experience. This time I am weaning off slowly. I was on 5mg of Bystolic beta blocker medicine and started to cut the pill in half about a month or so ago. Two weeks later I cut that in half (fours) and was on that for a couple of weeks. Last week I went to crumbs. As of yesterday, I am completely off of the medicine. It felt so good, actually great! When I went to 2.5MG but now that I am on a lower dose I feel terrible. Systolic pressure has gone up a bit, diastolic has stayed about the same but the best news is that my heart rate has gone up into the low 70’s.
Due to side effects, I am still suffering from dry eyes, vertigo, insomnia, terrible chest pains, muscle cramps (Charlie horses) in my legs, severe neck pain, dry mouth, tiredness, lack of focus, blurry vision, GERD, chills, hot spells, ear pressure, migraines, no sex appetite, tingling in my hands and feet, floaters, flashers, feeling of fainting, and so much more. I drink about 3 liters of water a day so I don't think that hydration is the issue. I was hoping that with a lesser dose that the symptoms would lessen but most have not. A great thread from DJHouse is giving me the inspiration to hang in there and cope with the withdrawal symptoms and wait for the light at the end of the tunnel. It cannot come soon enough. This is from someone who had a normal blood test before taking this medicine and who didn’t take any medication before this. For now, I am just trying to survive each day and just count the hours until I can go to bed and try to forget all of this pain. I am just hoping that the medicine didn’t damage my kidneys, thyroid, the heart or anything else like it has been known to happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some of these symptoms could be from the diuretic (HCTZ) and a low potssium. Low potassium (K) can cause charlie horses and weakness. The diuretic dehydrates you so the thirst, dry mouth and dizziness may be from that. Again, if that is dropped it should be done slowly, like 1/2 pill a day for 2 weeks, then off. Be sure to drink OJ, eats apricots and bananas for K. Has your Dr ever checked your potassium on this med? BP must be watched carefully, and please get Dr's ok and direction.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
(male)

Well, I failed miserably! I made it to four days without taking the medicine and then on that 4th night my BP spiked to 174/110. I had to take Bystolic again but unfortunately, it didn’t work so I had to go to the ER. I was OK after they gave me Xanax to bring down what they said was anxiety. The doctor has prescribed amlodipine and an anti-anxiety medication. The problem is that Amlodipine has many of the same side effects that are making me change from Bystolic. I’ve also read that Amlodipine causes depression so that’s the last thing that I need now with this anxiety problem that I have.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
(female)

leelee58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingpeace12 View Post
Well, I failed miserably! I made it to four days without taking the medicine and then on that 4th night my BP spiked to 174/110. I had to take Bystolic again but unfortunately, it didnít work so I had to go to the ER. I was OK after they gave me Xanax to bring down what they said was anxiety. The doctor has prescribed amlodipine and an anti-anxiety medication. The problem is that Amlodipine has many of the same side effects that are making me change from Bystolic. Iíve also read that Amlodipine causes depression so thatís the last thing that I need now with this anxiety problem that I have.
Hi ! I know this is old but wondering if you managed to get off of bystolic. I am weaning off now, down to 2.5. I also take xanex and am weaning off of that too for anxiety.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
(male)

plb4333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLadyBug25 View Post
The medicines I am currently taking are lisinopril 10mg once daily, metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice a day, hydrochlorothiazide 25mg once daily.
Are these large doses?
When starting I was on metoprolol tartrate, adding the hydrochlorothiazide, and then adding lisinopril last.

I called my doctor today just waiting on the call back.
The doses you've given aren't considered high doses at all. More of mid-range than anything.. One thing when it comes to high blood pressure is that people tend to speed things up to much. It takes time for our bodies to adjust to changes in the meds that affect BP. Not hours, few days, but often at least a week or more. Don't make fast changes without waiting it out a while. Otherwise, you get a boomerang affect and get nowhere.

Reply Reply