It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

kantaka HB User
medication only works for a few days

My GP has recently started treating my high blood pressure with ramipril after a 24hr blood pressure test showed my BP to be around the 165-175/95-105 mark.

I started on 1.25mg for a month which reduced my BP a little at first but towards the end of the 4 wk period it seemed less effective. My GP increased the dose to 2.5 which immediately (same day) reduced my BP to a really good level - typical readings were 125/83 or 117/81 for the next 4 days. But 4 days later my BP was as high as it had been before I started taking ramipril at all so I went back to see my GP. She increased the dose again - to 5mg - and again my BP returned to near ideal levels. Stayed that way for 4 days but now my BP has become high again - typical readings yesterday/today of 148/98 or 158/104. It's as if the medication works very well very quickly for a few days and then simply stops working. Of course I am going to see my GP again but I wondered if others have had this experience and if so what worked for them.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: medication only works for a few days

add a calcium channel blocker or a diuretic. Pressures greater than 160 systolic often require 2 medications, usually prescribed initially, per JNC 7 guidelines.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
kantaka (08-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

kantaka HB User

Saw my GP today and she wants me to wait another week to let the current dosage settle in. If things don't improve she said she would increase the ramipril dose to 10mg. I guess I'll have to see what happens.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

kantaka, in my opinion, the best "medication" for reducing blood pressure down to healthy levels is a very healthy, small meal, low calorie diet.

If you want to read how I successfully lowered my chronic high blood pressure, mostly thru diet, please see my "High & Low Blood Pressure" thread: My diet- most effective "medication" for my Blood Pressure, CHF & Insulin Resistance! at http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/849589-my-diet-most-effective-medication-my-blood-pressure-chf-insulin-resistance.html

Good luck with your blood pressure!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Reply Reply

Tags
high blood pressure, high blood pressure hypertension medication, ramipril