It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

angela3700 HB User
Young, healthy - unexplainable high blood pressure

I am a 37 year old female, 5'7- 130 pounds, active and athletic build. I play tennis 3x per week and work out. I eat a low sodium, healthy diet mainly consisting of fruits, veg., lean protein and whole grains. I do enjoy a few glasses of red wine at night with dinner, but have always done that. I have always had normal blood pressure around 120/80. I recently had my annual exam with normal labwork results all in normal range. I have had no other health issues other than melanoma 4 years ago. A few months ago my Diastolic number began to creep up from 80 to 87 to 95 and now to 100.

When I wake up, my blood pressure is normal, as the day progresses, it climbs. By 7PM it is 150/100. Should I see a doctor and what can I expect them to do? I have a $2500 deductible with BCBS and would like to remedy this myself before spending $2500 on lab tests.

I have stopped taking all supplements and am keeping a detailed log of my blood pressure reading from home. I have also checked my machine with blood pressure readers at pharmacies, etc.

When I had my annual exam 2 months ago, my BP was fine since it was early in the morning and I had been fasting in preparation to have my blood work done. I have always had a very elevated HDL Cholesterol, but this time it was 127. My LDL was 63, making my total cholesterol 197. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything?

Any ideas? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User
Re: Young, healthy- unexplainable high blood pressure

BP varies through the day.

Two questions ...... are you ALWAYS taking your BP after resting quietly for at least 10 minutes or do you tend to do .... as many of us wrongly do take it as soon as you sit down? Are you finding that you are feeling a degree of anxiety when taking your BP because you are concerned about it?

If the answer is yes then these two factors could easilly account for the rise.

So before anything else take the readings only after relaxing for a reasonable spell say 15 minutes .... perhaps even try a bit of deep slow breathing to give the stress a chance to subside and then take the readings.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

angela3700 HB User

What you are saying makes sense. The answer is no, I do not relax before talking a reading. I often leave my desk (I work at a home office), move to the sofa and take the reading immediately throughout the day.

This could explain why my BP is normal first thing in th morning as I wake, I am relaxed. I will be sure to calm myself for 10 minutes before each reading going forward and see if my results change. Hopefully, I am working myself up over nothing. That would not be too far out of the realm of my personality. Thanks

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

You are (understandably) working yourself up over nothing .... as we all do.

Only take the readings when you've been at rest for a while.

All the best.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Angela,

By the way, your cholesterol numbers are excellent.....don't worry about them. As a matter of fact, stop worrying about everything. That makes your BP go up Take care!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User

Hello, I also have unexplainable high blood pressure. Although I am in my early 50's, I always had a perfect bp of 120/70 and the past 8 months it has been out of control. My Dr. said you cannot walk around with bottom numbers up to 90 and on a consistent basis and not take medication so now I am just starting 2 medications. They scare me, in fact I just put a thread up about my issue. I had been on a water pill, now she added a bp med. I am so scared to take it... Did you ever have to go on a bp medication yet?

thanks.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Well, this is not uncommon at all. Hypertension is not only a disease of the obese, with poor lifestyles and you may just be one of the lucky ones. I am 34, developed htn at 20 and live a very healthy lifestyle, not unlike what you describe.

It sounds like you have a near optimal lifestyle such that the only way youll have a BP under 140/90 is with medication.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
(female)

beachbum75 HB User

I'm also a 37 year old female. I'm 5'7" and 122 lbs. I workout/weight train twice a week and I'm very active. I think I could use a little more cardio though. I don't smoke or drink. I've always had a fast pulse for as long as I can remember. I've had high blood pressure (sys in high 140's and low 150's & dia in high 90's) for about a year and I finally decided to find out why. My blood test shows hypothyroidism but I'm being retested tomorrow because I think I messed up my results by not fasting and working out right before the test. My doctor put me on Lisinopril and after my first dose my hands and feet swelled up so he took me off and told me to make an appt to come in and he'll put me on a different one. I decided to try to treat it with supplements instead. I'm on my 3rd day and my blood pressure is down to 116/84. I still can't believe how well it's working and how fast. I'm taking Coq10, Michael's blood pressure factors, and Bell Blood pressure formulation combo. My pulse is still too high. It's 108 and I'm just sitting down. I can only imagine how high it goes when I'm exercising.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I have heard horrible things about blood pressure medications so what supplements have you been trying that have worked for you?

Thank you.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm on Lisinopril HCTZ (which is a diuretic additive to keep you from swelling). I've had no problems.

I also had great blood pressure for years - usually on the low side - and then boom! It went up to 165/105. Could not get it down so on the meds. I work out, jog, eat right but hbp runs in the family and the gene just got turned on. My sister is the same way - eats right, works out, and she got the high cholesterol gene - which also runs in the family. We jsut got a bad copy and it decided to activate. Oh well.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Titchou, How old are you if I may ask??

Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
(female)

beachbum75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley9045 View Post
I have heard horrible things about blood pressure medications so what supplements have you been trying that have worked for you?

Thank you.

I'm taking Coq10, Michael's blood pressure factors, and Bell Blood pressure formulation combo.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Has this worked for you
Coq10, Michael's blood pressure factors, and Bell Blood pressure formulation combo.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Just to give a different point of view: I believe that when someone's blood pressure goes to unhealthy levels, it is, in most cases, a symptom of metabolic problems.

What are the main, normal causes of metabolic problems?
  • Irritants, stimulants, pollutants, pollens, Volatile Organic Compounds and other chemicals in household items, etc.
  • An unhealthy or unbalanced diet, or a diet that contains too many calories in any one meal, or for the entire day.

Why do I believe this to be true? Between 1998 and 2010, I took my blood pressure around 32,000 times. I used to have chronically high blood pressure all day, and all night long, year after year. I could not get my blood pressure down from an average of about 160/100. It was bad all the time.

Through diet, avoidance, exercise and appropriate blood pressure medication, I have been able to change from extremely unhealthy blood pressure, to very healthy blood pressure levels 24 hours per day, month after month, year after year. I really feel that the healthier the blood pressure levels, the longer and healthier one's life can be.

I posted a thread, in 2008, that documented, in detail, what I did, and learned, to cure my chronically high blood pressure problems. The name of the thread, in the Heart Disorders topic, is
"The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure".
The link is:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/641933-four-essential-steps-ive-taken-help-me-live-heart-failure.html

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
beachbum75 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
(female)

beachbum75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley9045 View Post
Has this worked for you
Coq10, Michael's blood pressure factors, and Bell Blood pressure formulation combo.
Yes. Here's an example of my readings in the few days before I was taking anything....150/100, 146/97, 143/101. took my first dose of BP Factors & Bell BP Formulation on the 17th at 11pm. On the 2nd day I added CoQ10.

Day 1
2:38 pm 132/99
5:56 pm 125/85
9:58 pm 122/94
Day 2
2:40 pm 127/96
9:26 pm 109/84
Day 3
12:16 am 111/87
2:20 pm 116/84
5:38 pm 135/96 (not sure what made it spike)
10:57 pm 117/82
Day 4 (I was gone all day and forgot the Bells Formulation pills at home)
7:09 pm 127/86
Day 5 (today)
9:26 am 129/88
5:58 pm 126/87

I know it's not perfect but it's getting there.

Reply Reply

Tags
healthy, high blood pressure, young