It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

olsoneagle HB Userolsoneagle HB User
Question weight loss and BP over time

Hi all. I usually post on the back forum but have a BP question. My BP keeps going down after weight loss. I have lost over 65 ibs - going from 235 to 168.
Has taken about 15 months. Back then I was taking Cardizem 240, Losartan 50mg and Toprol 25. My Dr reduced my meds every few months as I kept getting low readings. First cut Cardizem to 180 LA and dropped Toprol. Them dropped Losartan. Now I just take Cardizem and my pressure today is 94/68!!
I have not been working out due to back surgery.(should be going up) In the last 4 months I have only lost a few lbs. Guess my question is does BP keep going down after you have already lost the weight. I am 70 year old guy.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User
Re: weight loss and BP over time

Well done ...

BP tends to go down with weight loss - and so do many other risk factors. It doesn't follow it will keep going down ... it may stabilise - but when you start exercising again it might start reducing again so you should take your BP and see what it is.

At your current reading - it may be that when you start exercising again it may drop even more so I'd be looking to discuss possible med reductions.

Congrats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Great work on losing weight and lowering your BP! Congreatulate yourself.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

chalcedony HB User
Smile Re: weight loss and BP over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoneagle View Post
... Guess my question is does BP keep going down after you have already lost the weight. I am 70 year old guy.
Hello. Losing weight will decrease BP in a healthy way and that is the aim for overweight individuals. The normal range for BP is 110-140/60-90 mmHg. This will also fluctuate over time. You have nothing to worry if your BP is not consistently lower than 90/60.

If you have other signs and symptoms associated with low BP like dizziness and confusion, please see your physician for a physical examination. Try to hydrate yourself well too and eat a balanced diet.

The Following User Says Thank You to chalcedony For This Useful Post:
olsoneagle (09-20-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
(male)

Question Re: weight loss and BP over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoneagle View Post
Hi all. I usually post on the back forum but have a BP question. My BP keeps going down after weight loss. I have lost over 65 ibs - going from 235 to 168.
Has taken about 15 months. Back then I was taking Cardizem 240, Losartan 50mg and Toprol 25. My Dr reduced my meds every few months as I kept getting low readings. First cut Cardizem to 180 LA and dropped Toprol. Them dropped Losartan. Now I just take Cardizem and my pressure today is 94/68!!
I have not been working out due to back surgery.(should be going up) In the last 4 months I have only lost a few lbs. Guess my question is does BP keep going down after you have already lost the weight. I am 70 year old guy.
Saw my Dr yesterday. He is reducing the Cardizem to 120 CD--no generic 120 LA. Have not picked up the presciption yet. As I type this at 10:00 am my bp is 84/48!!! Happens every morning and then it slowly rises to normal readings as the day goes on. Hoping the reduced med helps this but I just do not understand this. Any comments welcome.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
(female)

KettleBellChick HB User

Do you feel tired at 84/48?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KettleBellChick View Post
Do you feel tired at 84/48?
Yes I do feel tired. That is only reason I take my bp--I know it is going to be low.
Had about the same reading this morning. Just picked up the new Cardizem 120mg. Will
start it tonight. Very curious to find out if these morning low readings will come up some and that the late day readings do not go too hign.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
(male)

On 2nd day of reducing Cardizem from 180 to 120mg. Pressure 92/72 at 10:00am. That is better than the readings like 85/46 I had been getting mid morning. Yesterday afternoon it got to 129/74 which is higher than before the switch but I think it is still ok?
I am still mystified why my bp keeps going down. I have lost 60 lbs but reached that weight 6 months ago. A year ago I was on Cardizem 240 LA, Losartan 50mg, and Toporol 25mg. After several reductions I am just on Cardizem 120 LA. I take pain pill for my back but they should increase it if anything. Have not worked out for several months although I am just starting to walk and ride exercise bike. Not sure what to think? Guess it is a really good thing provided nothing else bad is causing this. Also doing BCG treatments for bladder cancer but just started so that has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

If it stays around 130/75 it sounds to me like you've cracked it. Once your anxiety about all this subsides a bit then you'll probably stabilise. Also once you start getting back into some moderate exercise.

If I were you I'd relax - keep an eye on the BP but now just push on. I think it's easy once you start to get permanently anxious about all this it's difficult to know how to stop.

You seem fine at the moment so I'd stop fretting.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeffUK For This Useful Post:
olsoneagle (09-30-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
(female)

chalcedony HB User

Hi. What time did you take the reduced dosage of the Cardizem? Try monitoring your BP before and after taking the Cardizem. What is the specific dosage and how many times a day are u taking it?

Call your nurse or doctor right away if you have trouble breathing; very slow heartbeats (50 beats per minute or lower); you have dizziness, fainting, and fast or pounding heartbeat.

Reply Reply