It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Blood pressure concern

I take 25mg Cozzar daily for high BP plus 50mg Toprol XM to slow my heart beat (palps.) I've taken the latter for decades and the former for perhaps six, seven years.

I've done a number of things to lower my bp and now it seems too low, which is why the doctor lowered my Cozaar dose recently from 50mg daily. The systolic seems normal -- generally 106 to 116 or so. But the diastolic stays in the sixties and goes into the fifties. Fifty two I believe is the lowest it's been. It tends to go back up fairly soon but stays around sixty or so. I'm uncomfortable with that.

I do take fish oil but the doctor knows about it and approves. I am exercising more and doing lots of things to naturally lower my bp. Plus I've lost 15 pounds. I don't know if this is caused by the beta blocker, fish oil or Cozaar or something else. I suspect the Cozaar since I've taken both the beta blocker and fish oil for so very long.

At any rate, I wonder if I could ask for feedback from others who might either have the same thing or have some knowledge that might help me. Of course, I will discuss this with my doctor. I have an appointment in February but may see him sooner.

Perhaps I have no reason for concern. I don't know.

Thank you in advance.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Blood pressure concern

I have been living with malignant hypertension for years, and have lots of experience with BP medications.

I would expect your doctor will further adjust your medication on your next visit. Before your visit, I would keep a BP log that lists your BPs taken in the morning and at night, at rest. That way your doctor can see any trends during the day or night where you BP's are too low.

It sounds like your lifestyle is making your BP better, which is great. Any time you can reduce the amount of medication you take, the better.

Also, changes in medication can take a few weeks to really even out and show the proper readings.

My best to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (11-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

I stopped the fish oil just for today and my BP has been fine. Then I had a small amount of chia seeds in water and the diastolic went to 48. That scared me and the BP came back up quickly as I took it within a minute. Of course, by then I was scared and it was a bit too high but quickly came back down to a good number. It's all too much for me to understand.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

It doesn't sound like anything to be unduly alarmed about if you're not feeling faint and keeling over. It may be that if it is consistently low say consistently below 90/60 then a medication redcution might be looked at.

Just be a touch more slower when getting up and down until you can see whether medication adjustment is required. It is a better challenge to have than high BP.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

I'm in agreement with Jeff. I've been donating platelets regularly for the last few months and I've had a number of low diastolic readings. I haven't experienced any symptoms like feeling light-headed nor have any of the nurses who've checked my blood pressure suggest I see my doctor to make sure nothing is wrong. Something the nurses have asked me though is whether this is normal for me and whether I exercise a lot, which I do sometimes. Maybe your increasing amount of exercise is a factor that's lowering your blood pressure?

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
(female)

As a matter of fact, the doctor said that my exercising was likely responsible for a good deal of it. He said people who exercise a lot, tend to have lower blood pressure. Also, I'm doing isometric handgrip exercises three times a week plus show breathing exercises three times a week. I honestly believe those things have brought it down effectively.

Thank you kindly for your reply.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
Sinusitis
Panic/Anxiety
-- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Reply Reply