It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

happy321 HB User
BP high 195/140 not taking meds-how long before a complication starts?

10 years ago my husband was dx with cardiomyopathy, 6 years ago ICD, 3 years ago cirrohsis of liver, 2 years ago diabetes, now in last few months BP is high. He has taken about 50 percent of his meds since he was dx with liver dis. So not getting diuretics, or other heart meds. He also has fasting sugar at 154-164. AC1= 7.4. He will not see a dr for liver or diabetes, or follow up on the BP. When you see this progression of dx's is this just the lack of proper care of ones self. How long can this go on without servious complications or death. I cannot make him be compliant.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: BP high 195/140 not taking meds-how long before a complication starts?

Unfortunately, as you stated, you cannot make him compliant. It's his health and I guess he can do with it as he wishes. Just tell him to make sure his will is up to date and life insurance is sufficient. I wish you well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

If he has an ICD due to systolic heart failure, his prognosis is not great, as this is an indication that his disease is relatively advanced. High blood pressure such as you describe will certainly cause a more rapid progression of his heart failure, I regret to say....I hope he reconsiders.

Best wishes.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

happy321 HB User

Thank you for your replies. Will the continued HBP cause the kidneys to fail over time if the BP continues to be high daily. Does HBP cause the person to get extremely angry or confused. Talk crazy stuff? or maybe it's the liver disease or diabetes that causes periods of mental problems, or anger. I just wondered as he says there is nothing wrong with him, but to his family there is a lot wrong with his mental status for sereval years. Yes we have wills etc...health paperwork, but not much good most things as he doesn't remember being at the lawyers 4 years ago. I have no control over his inapproiate behavior or can I make him go to doctors to take care of himself. Does the high BP cause them to not be able to calm down. I am struggling so hard to get through his health problems and trying to stay healthly myself as he causes so much stress onto me.
I see the decline in his health with each addl dx as a sign that he is getting very much worst, and don't understand how to stop things. But I do understand a person must want to take care of themself first. We can't make someone take care of themself. I see the problem as his mental status. As he feels he thinks clearly and not confused there is nothing I can do but watch him get worse and one day he will have a stroke or heart event, etc....

Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

It is hard on someone when their spouses are ill and refuse to seek treatment. The love that we have for them affects us deeply and makes us feel helpless when they wonít listen.
If you have access to what he eats, perhaps you can change his eating lifestyle by incorporating more foods into his diet that are known to help lower blood pressure naturally. More fish, adding nuts and apple cider vinegar to your recipes as well as limiting salt and sugars, whole grains and substituting red meats with soy or other meats may just be what he needs to help him a bit. They may not be enough to lower his BP but may be enough to bring it down from a dangerous reading/level. It may also help you feel better by knowing that you are doing something to help him even if he wonít. You mention that he has diabetes so the change in eating habits may also help his other illnesses.

Donít forget to seek help for yourself as people in your situation can also benefit from support groups to help them cope with an ill spouse. Stress and worry can raise your own blood pressure as well so keep it in check by checking it regularly.

Reply Reply