It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
(male)

purpleowls HB User
Unhappy Severely high blood pressure

I went to the ER twice this week and the doctors once and tonight, my blood pressure was 172/110. They said its probably because I was anxious and that's normal. It was 170/110 Sunday. Followed by 168/107 at the doctors office Monday.

Either of the doctors seemed to be concerned with my blood pressure considering i'm 20 but its extremely high and my blood pressure is ALWAYS elevated (not normally that high but still elevated). I am not overweight but I do have severe anxiety so I was curious if there would be anything you could recommend that is natural. I am going to start working out a bit to help and I would like to try other things too. I do not want my life to end any time soon and I want to live a healthy life!

(Also, my previous posts regarding numbness can be disregarded because the ER did blood tests, urine and CT scan to rule everything out and its anxiety)

Thank you.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Severely high blood pressure

Well, you need to get your anxiety controlled - therapy and SSRIs, benzos are the mainstain there. If you have hypertension even when youre not anxious, then you have hypertension as well....weight loss, the DASH diet, sodium restriction and exercise are the mainstains of lifestyle change to lower blood pressure - it helps for some, but not all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

Whatever you do .... do not start to medicate unless you have done everything you can to reduce the anxiety and stress first. It's a cyclical situation you are in ie the anxiety increases the bp which increases the anxiety etc ..... so medication which will probably be with you for ever is not as good as breaking the cycle.

For what it's worth I think you'll get the BP down to decent levels if you try to learn to relax.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
(male)

gradstudent88 HB User

As someone who is young, thin, and exercises, and gets panic attacks, just know how much stress and anxiety and panic affect your blood pressure. Also, arms and legs go numb for me too when I have panic attacks - currently doing some CBT for it and it seems to be helping reduce frequency and severity of panic attacks. I also bounce back a lot faster from them.

Anecdotally, when I'm having an anxiety attack, my BP spikes to 140/105. Once I get myself back to normal, it's 115/75.

Bottom line: if you're young, otherwise have no cardiovascular issues, and have anxiety - work on your anxiety.

Last edited by gradstudent88; 11-18-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

Sundance6 HB User

Hi,

I find meditation and visualization techniques helpful.

It is almost like "training" your body to relax. Learning to control your breathing is helpful.

Also, anxiety is a common symptom of a low functioning thyroid.

If you haven't already, you may want to rule that out as a problem.

Good luck!

Reply Reply