It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
(male)

9one1 HB User
Diagnosed - High BP - scared

The long and short of it, i am filled with alot of fear , and i am trying my best to keep it simple, being diagnosed with HBP , i was floored, i am doing a little bit better, anyway i really dont want to get into it, i'm not ready right now, i'm to irritated.

Rich

Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Diagnosed - High BP - scared

How high? What were your readings? And did they put you on meds? They usually work great. I've been on them a number of years and had no problems and my BP is under control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
(male)

9one1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
How high? What were your readings? And did they put you on meds? They usually work great. I've been on them a number of years and had no problems and my BP is under control.
Last 3x i was in to see my doc she told me it was high , mondays visit was 150/ 98 and yes im on meds, Hydrochloriazide once a day.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9one1 View Post
Last 3x i was in to see my doc she told me it was high , mondays visit was 150/ 98 and yes im on meds, Hydrochloriazide once a day.
Hi,

It's a bit high. No more. Most of that was caused due to anxiety because you were at the docs and anxious. My readings are always that high - normally higher - at the doctors. My readings were routinely 170/110 at the docs and 125/85 at home .......

You have absolutely NOTHING to be scared about. Your not in any imminent danger. Hypertension is a condition that might cause damage over a very long period, particularly when combined with other conditions.

What you need to do is to calm down and establish what your normal resting non-anxious BP is. It's possible you might never establish this reading when at the doctors so buy yourself a meter and take readings at home after you've been relaxing for half an hour or so and at different times of the day. Never before or after a toilet visit or before two hours after eating or drinking. Keep a record. You will find - I can almost guarantee it - that if you calm down and do this your readings will be far lower.

Report back and we'll try and help but you must calm down. Your anxiety is understandable but 100% misplaced. I'm also on a range of meds ..... you will get it sorted!

Just noticed your handle .... are you in a highly stressful job by any chance?

Last edited by JeffUK; 11-22-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
(male)

9one1 HB User

I come from a long line of law enforcement but I am not a police officer , only proud and respect the profession , I do a lot of praying about the HBP and I'm in recovery for alcoholism so I'm sure the BP is tied to this issue anyway I really appreciate your kind words most people are to self absorbed to bother, anyway I will definitely take your advice clearly it makes sense, any future help from you I will be be grateful. . God bless and happy thanksgiving

Rich

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-22-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

I promise you ... you need not pray.

I understand the anxiety ... I've been through this myself.

When you have time I suggest you might glance through the discussion we've been having about treating BP in the range shown when you visited the docs and some new thinking about it.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/927800-stage-1-high-blood-pressure-140-159-90-99-should-treated-meds.html

I'm not a doctor and have no qualifaction. Presumably your alcohol levels are reduced now so that will help.

I do however believe that you'll find your BP will reduce once you're relaxed and may not need treating. Try learning about hypertension and taking control and decision making for yourself based on the range of opinions you will encounter.

Good luck.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-22-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Indeed, nothing much to fear here. Your pressure is high, but is not a cause for alarm. Get your pressure under control with weight loss, DASH diet, sodium reduction, and exercise.

My only caution - dont allow your doc to prescribe you a beta blocker (drugs such as metoprolol, atenolol, etc). These drugs while commonly used, have long been shown to be less effective at improving outcomes and have alot of side effects.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
(male)

9one1 HB User

All i can do at this point - one day at a time - just like anything else in life right, thats it ,of course take the medication i was prescribed and excercise, diet and low sodium, i'm doing my best to not be anxiety ridden but it's alot easier said then done, i was floored when my doc told me, but anyway i know if god brought me to it he'll get me through it but in the meantime i have to do the footwork , if you will.Thanks for the support.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Excellent attitude ... well done!

Perhaps the best slant of all on this is simply not to be anxious but to be genuinely thankful that you have the opportunity of putting this right if it is indeed a problem. The majority of people who have raised BP do not know ... and it is those we should feel sorry for. If you find after monitoring it's a bit raised it is easily managed and I can almost guarantee it will be under control within a short time.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And be sure and take your blood pressure as soon as you wake up in the morning and are coherent (some people wake up slowly -others quickly!). You could very well find it's much lower then...and that's more indicative of your true BP.

And prayer is good all the time - not just for this. And the med you are on is only a diuretic so it doesn't have the side effects some of the other BP meds do. Just be sure to not get dehydrated.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9one1 View Post
... I'm in recovery for alcoholism so I'm sure the BP is tied to this issue anyway ...
You could be right.

Have you had blood tests? If so, has anything shown up "out of range"?

How are your Cholesterol and Triglycerides?

Have you been tested for Diabetes?

We can all guess at how often your blood pressure is at unhealthy levels, but no one really knows for sure. Getting blood tested is a good way to monitor the effects of High Blood Pressure.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
(male)

9one1 HB User

WOW, god bless you people, i am doing ok, i am always amazed at how people who are in the same situatuion how they reach out to those struggling as well and comfort them and let them know its going to be ok, i know i will be i just need to slow down and breath, although if you knew me i am a pretty high strung guy and i do stress ALOT about ALOT of things more so then your average person however i am getting much, much better at it, my wife is a strong source of support for me as well, so i do have a support system now i need / must use it, because at the end of the day my posts and words can sound all nice and i can be articulate but if i just sit in my office on front of this computer im ,quite frankly useless, there's no two ways about, i'm still a little fearful, yet slowly but surely "prayer" is becoming a BIG part of my life, god will get my through this i'm convinced of that but i must not be lazy about it.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
(male)

9one1 HB User

Yes they did do some blood work my last visit to see my doc i'm not sure exactly for what, seeing it was after she(my doc) told me i have HBP and going on meds, im sure the blood work was for the BP , anyway i'm only speculating at this point but i go back to see her in 2 weeks , if i may ask of you if you have any food suggestions, as im now living on turkey / chicken / squash basically because im still a little fearful, or anything else regarding HBP way of life can you let me know i'd really appreciate it immensely, take care, and thank you for your support, you people are so amazing, i have only been a member a few days and i have been slammed with all kinds of good stuff.....

Last edited by 9one1; 11-23-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

If I were you, I'd do no more than eat as you are ..... just cut down salts.

You should just relax and see what the results are.

For what it's worth you'll recall my bp was higher than yours when at the docs - but now at home it's so low 110ish over 70ish at times - sometimes a bit lower other times higher - that i need to get up slowly ....... just started with diuretcs alongside other stuff and they seem to be working. I'm now leaving taking BP for around a couple of times a week until I'm happy it's stabilised then hopefully just once a month. It's important to get the balance back

You just need to find your way of calming. Have a good weekend .... and relax.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
(male)

9one1 HB User

I hope the answer is yes, but is it ok to drink coffee, life would really s*ck if i can't , love the stuff, gotta have it in the AM ya know LOL.

Reply Reply