It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Is my ears thumping a clogged artery, HBP, or my beta blocker medicine?

I am on BB Bystolic (Nebivolol) and twice in the last week I have had something very strange happen that I am hoping you can help me figure out what it is. I walked at a brisk pace for about a quarter mile to get to a meeting that I was late for which made me very tired. About an hour later, my left ear started to thump as if there was a membrane in it that someone was pinging on. My pulse was not rapid so I donít think it was that. I had no way to check my BP at the time but I have a hunch that my BP was pretty high because I felt dizzy, very tired, my anxiety was very high and I started to panic. I had to take a Xanax that I carry for emergencies. About a week later, I stopped at a national fast food restaurant for a croissant breakfast sandwich which I never bought before. About 20 minutes after having eaten the sandwich, my ear started to do the same thing. I checked online and found that the sandwich has 1325mg of salt in it. Is it possible that so much salt in one food affected by blood pressure so much so quickly? I tried getting up and felt like I was going to faint which gave me a panic attack. I had to take a Xanax to feel better. Have any of you had this happen to you?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

JeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB UserJeffUK HB User
Re: Is my ears thumping a clogged artery, HBP, or my beta blocker medicine?

Hi,

I don't think you will be able to hear blocked arteries so calm down!

The first thing is to have them look down the ears to see if there's any wax or infection etc. Waxed ears make you hear your own pulse rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Thanks for your input. I am going to validate my hunch by taking my BP, then having the sandwich again and if I feel the same symptoms, I will check the BP and see if it has gone up. I know that eating will in itself affect blood pressure but if anything, I will get peace of mind if I am wrong.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

KettleBellChick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingpeace12 View Post
Thanks for your input. I am going to validate my hunch by taking my BP, then having the sandwich again and if I feel the same symptoms, I will check the BP and see if it has gone up. I know that eating will in itself affect blood pressure but if anything, I will get peace of mind if I am wrong.
Please let us know if it was your blood pressure.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

I decided to test my theory, so one day I took my blood pressure and it was 123/78. About an hour later I had the sandwich and sure enough, about twenty minutes after I finished the sandwich my ears started to feel clogged and my left ear started ďthumpingĒ. I checked my blood pressure expecting the worst and was surprised that it was 119/82. I asked my cardiologist at my next visit and he said that since I have eliminated as much salt from my diet as possible, that I have probably become salt sensitive. When I asked him about my symptom he said that he has had people report hearing their heartbeat in their ear when their blood pressure is high but not when the blood pressure is normal. He suggested that I go see an ENT and have it checked.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

KettleBellChick HB User

How does reducing salt make one salt sensitive? Did he explain? That doesn't make sense. I think that the beta blocker I'm on (Carvedilol) has made me salt sensitive because I get literally sick if I eat something high in sodium (dizziness, rapid heartbeat, upper back pain, shaking) and I never experienced that before taking this medication.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
(male)

I think that you are correct. I used to eat whatever I wanted with no problems and after taking beta blockers I have all sorts of health problems including this ear problem. Lucky for me that I have finally gotten off the beta blockers after having tried three other times with no success. I am on my second week of being off of them. Letís hope that all the symptoms go away so I can be my old self again.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
(female)

KettleBellChick HB User

Quote:
I think that you are correct. I used to eat whatever I wanted with no problems and after taking beta blockers I have all sorts of health problems including this ear problem. Lucky for me that I have finally gotten off the beta blockers after having tried three other times with no success. I am on my second week of being off of them. Letís hope that all the symptoms go away so I can be my old self again.
Are you saying that you think you are salt sensitive now because of the meds?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
(male)

Not because of the meds. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure I changed my eating habits. For the last 6 months or so I stopped eating at fast food restaurants and I now read the label of the food I buy at the supermarket to make sure what I buy is low in sodium or has no sodium. I now cook myself so I can control what I put in my food and donít use any salt, instead I substitute with other spices such as black pepper, garlic, basil, etc. I take lunch to work where before I used to go out and eat. Before I knew I had high BP I used to drink Coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I now drink just water. About 5 of those 16oz. plastic bottles each day if not more. So now that I have restricted my diet to a low sodium diet, I am finding out that whenever I eat something that has a lot of salt, my ears get that thumping sound. I ate some salted fries the other day that my kids had bought to see if fries would also cause the problem, and sure enough, my ear started to do its thing, although not as bad as with that breakfast sandwich. For that reason, I think that my body has now become hypersensitive to salt. Your thoughts?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
(female)

KettleBellChick HB User

Quote:
Not because of the meds. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure I changed my eating habits. For the last 6 months or so I stopped eating at fast food restaurants and I now read the label of the food I buy at the supermarket to make sure what I buy is low in sodium or has no sodium. I now cook myself so I can control what I put in my food and donít use any salt, instead I substitute with other spices such as black pepper, garlic, basil, etc. I take lunch to work where before I used to go out and eat. Before I knew I had high BP I used to drink Coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I now drink just water. About 5 of those 16oz. plastic bottles each day if not more. So now that I have restricted my diet to a low sodium diet, I am finding out that whenever I eat something that has a lot of salt, my ears get that thumping sound. I ate some salted fries the other day that my kids had bought to see if fries would also cause the problem, and sure enough, my ear started to do its thing, although not as bad as with that breakfast sandwich. For that reason, I think that my body has now become hypersensitive to salt. Your thoughts?
I may as well have written this post. Like you, I used to eat out but now cook my food with very little added salt and now that I'm on Carvedilol my body goes haywire whenever I eat something salty. I'm thinking that the meds makes people salt sensitive. I think once it's discontinued you no longer are salt sensitive. I am going to try to get off of it by Spring so I can't wait to see if my theory is correct.

Reply Reply