It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

Katie4593 HB User
19 year old with blood pressure 170/100, doctor won't send to cardiologist

I'm 19 years old and have been battling high blood pressure for the past three years (at 16 I was told my blood was 130/80), now at 19 it has consistently been 170/100. When I saw my primary doctor all she did was prescribe me a beta blocker, Metoprolol 25 mg, and was told to come back in a month, I went back in a month & my blood pressure was still high so she increased it to 50 mg. I weight 120 lbs, eat healthy & am active so it's strange my Blood Pressure is so high at a young age, only thing is my father has hypertension as well. One day I was suffering from severe back pain so I called the office to make an appointment & my doctor was booked for a week so I got an appointment with another doctor. When I had my appointment the first thing the doctor asked was your 19 and had a blood pressure reading of 170/100, she was shocked and was in disbelief of this & how my doctor never tested me for the underlying causes. She then sent me to get a ct scan angiograph of my kidneys to rule out renal artery stenosis & a 24 hour urine analysis. The results were luckily normal, but she told me if the results were normal we'd talk about me seeing a cardiologist. I recently called the office to leave a message with her to speak about the cardiologist, the message was accidently delayed to my regular primary doctor who's nurse called me back today saying that seeing a cardiologist is very unnecessary. I appreciate any advice, is this negligent for my doctor to do this? I'm thinking of switching to the doctor that sent me for the tests and making a future appointment with her. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: 19 year old with blood pressure 170/100, doctor won't send to cardiologist

Did she do an EKG? Did she check your pulses in your groin and legs vs. your arms for suspicion of aortic coarctation? Did she check blood work for things like electrolytes, hyperthyroidism, kidney function, renin/aldosterone ratio?

Reply Reply

Tags
high blood pressure