It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

silverhat HB User
New to the NMH world

I am a 20-something who is living with the daily struggles of Neurally Mediated Hypertension. I was just diagnosed a few months ago after suffering with symptoms for about 3 years.

Since my symptoms began it has been a virtually nightmare of day to day living. I have passed out several times in various places and have learned that I am just not capable of doing certain thing because it almost always results in attacks and episodes.

I feel like I'm living in a constant mental fog. I used to be so organized and motivated and now I am simply just processing information and losing my train of thought on a continuos basis. I have moment where I completely blank and zone out. I can't remember things and find it difficult to word what I want to say. And the headaches can be just as unbearable.

But that is nothing compared to the ever present lightheaded ness and the dizzy spells, the crazy body temperature changes and the blackouts. I feel like total crap all the time and that is no exaggeration. I feel like I can never get enough sleep, always dragging my feet and falling asleep on the couch. I can only work part time and even that is becoming a stretch. I just can never be sure of what the day will bring, will I be able to make it to work? Will I be able to take a shower without blackouts or dizziness? And what if I'm driving and an attack comes on? It has just been a serious challenge of strength and determination.

Then you have the people who think you are completely full of it. I have a supervisor at work who smirks whenever I ask to leave early or call in. It just make you want to scream sometimes. People have no idea what I go through everyday, how my relationship with my new husband is tested or how I feel worthless because I just can't do what a healthy person can. I am just so exhausted and feel like I just can't win. The treatments I have tried thus far have lead nowhere and it's become a emotional roller coaster.

Is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences? Anyone who can lend some advice?

-The Fainter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: New to the NMH world

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhat View Post
I am a 20-something who is living with the daily struggles of Neurally Mediated Hypertension. I was just diagnosed a few months ago after suffering with symptoms for about 3 years.
Sorry to hear about your health problems. I assume you mean Neurally Mediated Hypotension not Hypertension

Quote:
I have passed out several times in various places and have learned that I am just not capable of doing certain things because it almost always results in attacks and episodes.
What kind of things trigger attacks and episodes?

Quote:
I feel like I'm living in a constant mental fog. ... I have moments where I completely blank and zone out. I can't remember things and find it difficult to word what I want to say. And the headaches can be just as unbearable.
Does your mental fog ever lift? How about when you wake up? Do you wake up mentally fogged? Is it just as bad in the evening as in the earlier hours of the day? Are you better indoors or outdoors?

Quote:
But that is nothing compared to the ever present lightheadedness and the dizzy spells, the crazy body temperature changes and the blackouts. I feel like total crap all the time and that is no exaggeration. I feel like I can never get enough sleep, always dragging my feet and falling asleep on the couch.
Sounds like quite a nightmare!

Has there ever been a time when these problems have lifted or gotten better. Are the symptoms better anytime during the day? Do your symptoms get better during exercise or physical activity? How about during or after eating?

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences? Anyone who can lend some advice?

-The Fainter
Do you take any vitamins or supplements? Do you eat a lot of vegetables? What kind of a diet are you on?

Do you have allergies? Asthma?

Do you know how your blood pressure tracks during the day? Is your blood pressure lower during the early part of the day, and then does it go gradually higher during the later part of the day?

I assume that your doctors have given you complete blood tests? Any highs or lows shown up on your blood tests?

Are you overweight? Diabetic? Have your doctors suggested that you might be suffering from some variation of a Metabolic Syndrome?

Some times we can figure out, or improve our own health problems by tracking anomalies in our own blood pressure patterns, or heart rate patterns, or health patterns, by linking the anomalies to certain activities, or diet, or irritants. But, in your case, if your symptoms are always the same, and always bad, 24 hours per day, it makes it that much more difficult to search for solutions or fixes.

I hope that you are feeling better today.

Take care, best of luck and health to you and your family!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Reply Reply