It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

mustang21 HB User
Is this Blood pressure reading OK?

Went to the doc today and she told me my BP was 140/70

She said it was probably because "white coat syndrome"

Some details about me.. I'm 21, female, smoker, workout 5 times a week, do not salt my food at all and am in good health. I'm 5'3"-4" 155 pounds but my bodyfat isn't high. It is 23%.

So I'm just wondering if this was probably because of anxiety or what? I feel fine outside of the doctors but when there I do feel like my BP rises from nerves.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
Re: Is this Blood pressure reading OK?

Hello. Smoking raises BP somewhat. Also, stating that you dont salt your food does not say all that much about the amount of salt you consume. Unless you are a conscious eater, it is likely that you consume 2-3x or more of salt than is needed, which raises BP in some folks. I would suggest checking your BP at home a few times per day for several weeks to see where it runs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

mustang21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Hello. Smoking raises BP somewhat. Also, stating that you dont salt your food does not say all that much about the amount of salt you consume. Unless you are a conscious eater, it is likely that you consume 2-3x or more of salt than is needed, which raises BP in some folks. I would suggest checking your BP at home a few times per day for several weeks to see where it runs.
Hi thanks for replying. I track everything I eat and I never eat 2-3x my recommended amount of salt but I do tend to go over a little daily but never that much.
I can't check it at home but I plan on checking it this weekend at the store when I'm more relaxed.
Anything else you can think of? I'm hoping it was just a temporary spike.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can buy a blood pressue monitor at any drug store. I'd really suggest you do that and check your bp daily at home. You very well may have white coat syndrome but since you smoke you want to be sure it doesn't get any higher. Check it when you first get up in the AM.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

mustang21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You can buy a blood pressue monitor at any drug store. I'd really suggest you do that and check your bp daily at home. You very well may have white coat syndrome but since you smoke you want to be sure it doesn't get any higher. Check it when you first get up in the AM.
Ok I will look into buy one. Thanks for the response!

Another question. Can caffeine raise BP?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Yes, it can. Any stimulant can boost your heart rate and affect your blood pressure. So can things like asthma medication.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

What is the total amount of sodium you eat per day? In order to consume <2 grams per day, you would have to be on a very restricted diet, which would be mostly fresh veggies and fruits, lean meats. Unless you have designed a diet for the purpose of limiting sodium to 2 grams, you likely dont come in all that close to this amount.

Quit smoking!! Youre raising your BP, damaging your skin, your lungs, your vascular system, to scratch the surface.

Reply Reply