HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   Hypotension and exercise? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/936101-hypotension-exercise.html)

USmiss 01-21-2013 05:59 AM

Hypotension and exercise?

I have low blood pressure that typically runs anywhere from 90-110 over 50-65. I also have Orthostatic hypotension and have for probably 12 years. I am very active and workout 6 days a week. I lift weights at the gym 3 days a week and I notice that when I do so, I get light-headed. It makes sense because my blood is probably flowing to my other muscles and not my brain so I get light-headed. But it scares me sometimes and I worry I'm going to pass out. It also happens at times when I'm doing a very strenuous workout like the Insanity dvds. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Some people told me to eat more sodium but that will just bloat me! Do I just have to deal with it and try my best to stay hydrated and nourished?

DrJuliaco 01-25-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Hypotension and exercise?

[QUOTE=USmiss;5120489]I have low blood pressure that typically runs anywhere from 90-110 over 50-65. I also have Orthostatic hypotension and have for probably 12 years. I am very active and workout 6 days a week. I lift weights at the gym 3 days a week and I notice that when I do so, I get light-headed. It makes sense because my blood is probably flowing to my other muscles and not my brain so I get light-headed. But it scares me sometimes and I worry I'm going to pass out. It also happens at times when I'm doing a very strenuous workout like the Insanity dvds. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Some people told me to eat more sodium but that will just bloat me! Do I just have to deal with it and try my best to stay hydrated and nourished?[/QUOTE]

Donít be afraid to be active. Regular physical activity is the first treatment recommended to lower BP and improve cardiovascular health.

USmiss 01-26-2013 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=DrJuliaco;5123055]Donít be afraid to be active. Regular physical activity is the first treatment recommended to lower BP and improve cardiovascular health.[/QUOTE]

My blood pressure can't afford to be any lower! I'm light headed and dizzy often during the day when I stand up. I won't give up working out, I just wasn't sure if there was anything I could do to raise it a little bit so I didn't get so dizzy.

Songcanary 02-05-2013 09:58 AM

Hi USMiss,

I have orthostatic hypotension also. I found that I had to modify the intense workouts I used to do. So now I practice yoga three times a week and occasionally use the machines, but I avoid anything where I need to lift my arms over my head. And don't brush off yoga, it's not for wimps. I am in the best shape of my life right now, and I was a faithful Jazzerciser for 20 years before.

I drink 64 oz of water with 1 teaspoon salt added, every day. It does not bloat me but helps keep my blood volume up and really helps the lightheadedness. It was prescribed by my cardiologist and was the best advice I ever got. Good luck!