It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

BS513 HB User
Blood Pressure spiking on Lisinopril

My doctor put me on 10 mg Lisinopril after being on Bystolic for a few years. The first 7 days I felt week, dizzy and sluggish which I read from the reviews of this drug would happen. My BP immediately went from 120/82 to 106/75. On day 8 I felt back to normal and BP was still normal. On day 11 my BP spiked to 129/90 and stayed up for about 4 hours. I had to lay down and take a nap in order to get it back down to 111/78. I didn't do anything out of my normal Saturday routine to cause this spike. Any ideas as to why? could it be the Lisinopril?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Re: Blood Pressure spiking on Lisinopril

Do you ever take NSAIDs? They can suppress the action of lisinopril. Varies by individuals from insignificant to very significant. 129/90 for 4 hours is not much of a spike. Now if you stayed at 90 for days, something needs changing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

BS513 HB User

Yes I do take NSAIDS. I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and because of the pain I have been taking Naproxen. I actually went back to my doctor and in talking with her it might have been caused by me going off of Bystolic and starting Linsinopril. She agreed that my BP going up wasn't that bad. I'm feeling much better now, I guess my body just needed time to get used to it. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS513 View Post
... On day 11 my BP spiked to 129/90 and stayed up for about 4 hours. ... Any ideas as to why?
Blood Pressure, which can be influenced by many things, fluctuates all day and all night, beginning relatively lower in the early hours and increases as the day goes on.

For an example of how much blood pressure changes throughout the day, I posted a thread within this High & Low Blood Pressure topic titled:
My 24 Hour Blood Pressure Averages for 2003 compared with 2008
The link is:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/648139-my-24-hour-blood-pressure-averages-2003-compared-2008-a.html

The main cause of higher blood pressure relates to metabolic problems, IMHO. That is why most blood pressure medications try to block or inhibit excess hormones produced by our metabolic systems.

The main causes of metabolic problems are:
  • Unbalanced or unhealthy diet.
  • Irritants, stimulants, pollens or pollutants inside or outside one's home.

Quote:
could it be the Lisinopril?
Ace Inhibitors, like Lisinopril, try to inhibit an enzyme, that can cause excessive hormones, that can cause higher blood pressure and/or erratic heart beats.

It's possible, but highly unlikely, that an Ace Inhibitor would cause higher blood pressure, IMHO.

Best of luck and health to you!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-24-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Reply Reply