It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
(male)

akmp HB User
Unhappy Hypertension medication and SSRI+Benzos - Interactions?

Hello,

I am 30 year old male. Have been diagnosed with moderate hypertension few years back and have been on Olmesartan H 20 mg. Recently my doctor changed medication to olmesartan 20+amlodipine 2.5 (2 times/day).
I have also been struggling with severe anxiety and depression due to various issues. My psychiatrist has put me on XET CR Plus [paxil/clonazepam (12/0.5)].

My question is - is it safe to take paxil with Olmat AM . I have read some where that SSRI have adverse affect on blood pressure and they will raise blood pressure levels. I am yet to start taking Xet CR Plus as i am scared of any interaction and effect on hypertension. I am desperate to get some relief from anxiety and at the same time have to keep a check on hypertension.

Please suggest. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by akmp; 01-21-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correction

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
(male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User
Re: Hypertension medication and SSRI+Benzos - Interactions?

SSRI's can cause increase in blood pressure for some. Paxil is less likely to, and more sedating than many others in the class. Also, it does not work on norepinephrine, only serotonin, so again...less likely to raise bp.

I would recommend taking Klonopin separately, as needed. Also, just monitor your BP at home a few times a week to be sure you aren't getting raised BP...but remember, the anxiety of starting a new med will likely raise it somewhat until you get used to it. Good luck and feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
(male)

akmp HB User
Re: Hypertension medication and SSRI+Benzos - Interactions?

Thanks a ton for your insights. I have one more query, that is the interaction between olmat am and paxil, is it safe to take them together?
Appreciate your response.

Reply Reply

Tags
calcium channel blockers, drug interactions, hypertension, ssri