It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Question How to deal with white coat hypertension?

Went to doctor to get bloodtests and I am usually a bit stressed out. NP checks bloodpressure and says it is 220/110. That stressed me out even more. They could not let me leave until bloodpressure went down.

So they give me two pills of clonopin. A little later my mouth was so dry and had no saliva. She checks it again and says it has gone down to 180 over something. By then I am a bit zombified and afraid to drive home. Made it home safely though.

The problem is I check it myself at home with a manual bp cuff and it is usually around 120/80 give or take. This is what I told my NP, it is normal at home at goes up at the docs office. Its like she does not believe me which makes me so mad.

So she wants me to go Friday and have her check it again. Well I am not going because I don't have to. Then they keep me there and drug me up and can barely drive.

I also do have a thyroid problem which makes my anxiety rise quite a bit.

Last edited by Lady50; 03-06-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How to deal with whitecoat hypertension?

Does your home blood pressure machine store the results? If so, take your bp 2 -4 times a day and then take the machine to the doctor so they can SEE what the readings were. Am surprised they didn't tell you that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

No it does not store the readings. It is only manual not digital. I decided if they do not believe me, then I will look for another doctor that will or NP.

Had another doctor that told me to write it down at home. I think this NP was mad because there was a mistake on my bloodtests results that she did not see and I pointed it out to her. That may have got her dander up a bit.

Thank you

Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User

Im still waiting on my ABPM results and trust me, even a reading that high can be white coat hypertension. I had a 198/97 reading at the nephrologists the other day and asked "Can it still be WCH at such a high reading?" his response was ABSOLUTELY. This guy has studied hypertension his whole life and he told me he is disgusted that doctors don't use ambulatory monitors to confirm or disprove high office pressures. I think titchou had a great idea, take your pressure at home and bring the results in morning, noon and night.

Last edited by dantescritic; 03-06-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: How to deal with white coat hypertension?

I wish I knew the answer. Mine is always sky high whenever I go to any doctor. (Normally a bit lower than yours though.). I also developed high BP when i became hypothyroid and it is normally contolled with meds. I take readings at home and keep a record to take to the dr. However, it spikes EVERYTIME I go to the dr. And then I feel I'll afterwards, so I hate to go to the dr now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Heckofagal:
Pat Texas (04-04-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
(female)

Juky HB User

We're still working to get my blood pressure a bit more under control. At home my systolic usually hovers in the vicinity 130 and my diastolic in the 90s ... but when I go to the doctor it tends to be something crazy, like 180/135 or something... They tend to believe me about my home readings, and for right now I'm on the same meds I was (Bystolic 10 mg and HCTZ 25 mg), but told to definitely get my weight down - I'm 30 pounds overweight. And come back in a month (no they aren't expecting me to lose 30 pounds in a month!).

The doctor is not happy sending me away with her own reading of 180/135 .. but on a visit in early January for an unrelated issue, my reading AT THE DOCTOR was only 140/88, and nobody was all that concerned. With that in mind, she isn't ready to increase dosages yet either. She's cautiously thinking it's white coat hypertension due to us working on the issue of hypertension, if that makes sense.

Personally I wish I wouldn't freak out at the doctor's office. I'm now expecting it to be high, then I stress knowing it will be high, and they take it and it's high.

The following user gives a hug of support to Juky:
Pat Texas (04-04-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

Juky HB User

I'll add, btw, that the doctor did re-take the BP at the same visit, and it was 140/101 that time... so who knows. (Although I'm sure she was happier with that than 180/135.) *sigh*

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I went to the doctors apt, was in a great deal of pain with ear infection that had spread to my jaw. Also had anxiety from my thyroid being out of wack too low T3.

NP told me to take a BP pill at home. Well that would be quite dangerous if it is normal at home, how stupid is that.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

My BP is anywhere between 20 and 50 points higher in the doctor's office than it is at home. I have to consistently tell doctors not to freak out when my bp is 160-something because we've got it stabilised nicely the rest of the time, and I bought a meter to prove it. If they're concerned enough to recheck at the end of the appointment it's usually at least 20 points lower than it was when I walked in the door, which reassures them a bit. Right before they put me on BP medication I was getting office readings of over 200 - now THAT was alarming. If my pressure was going that high even for a short time, it's dangerous. Now we've got it controlled enough that my office readings are not TOO high, and it's not TOO low at home.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did not go back to office to get BP checked like NP wanted me too. Could not handle that stress again.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
(female)

puddin' HB User

This discussion is relevant to me. Yesterday, I watched the receptionists doing their jobs, trying to realize that they have to come to the drs. office everyday. I sat in the examining room trying to imagine ocean waves, mountains, etc. My blood pressure was still high when the nurse took it. Before I went to the doctor's office, I took my blood pressure and noticed it was starting to rise. The doctor (after looking at my at home bp chart) wants my normal blood pressure lower and prescribed another bp medicine. The doctor also talks about preventing stroke and heart attack which just worries me more. Before I even made an appointment with the doctor, I felt fine. I guess I don't want to have to worry about the stroke and heart attack thing (like before I went). I just read an article yesterday about how stress causes heart attacks. I am interested in a way to think so I am not worrying about health. If I read about health on line, my bp is higher. A long time ago, I stopped reading the Merck manual. There's hardly anything that will not kill you.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

I have similar problem but mine now includes taking it at home. Just thinking about it makes me nervous and even at home my first reading is always high (systolic) but then it comes down. Last night my first takes were around 160/70 but second was down to 130/70. This morning first were 143/66 and second was 118/56! I have not been taking it regularly at home and must make myself do so and avoid this fear. I do not allow any doctor to take my bp as it causes such a high spike. anneh

Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
(male)

mrvincent1959 HB Usermrvincent1959 HB User

I was at a dermatologists office yesterday for my first appointment there. As I was waiting, I started to feel that feeling of dread. My mind races, and I feel like I will be told that I wont live long. This happens to me anytime I go to a new office with new surroundings.

I finally got called in an my BP was 157. I have a BP machine at home and as of right now its 114.

Yes, I have White Coat Hypertension. There is no way to deal with it unless you want to take beta blockers or something before going to the doctors, but then that would be a bad idea. Just make sure they know about your problem, which for me, is all mental.

If you keep going back to the same office and know you are healthy, your BP should come down there. I advise owning a good machine so you can monitor it yourself at home.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Anneh,
You have described my situation. I have reached the point where I can no longer read my pressure at home. I understand what you are experiencing!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
(female)

jd2730417 HB User

New here, learning procedures

Last edited by jd2730417; 05-08-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: mistake, not my post

The following user gives a hug of support to jd2730417:
Pat Texas (06-03-2013)
Closed Thread