It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
paroxysmal hypertension or labile hypertension

I started having BP issues after I had my kids. I have been on the highest dose of Azor, benicar and would get so/so bp but my pulse was high and I was always out of breath. I switched to 10mg of lisinopril with a low dose diuretic and it seems to be ok over all, but I will get readings in the doctors office such as 164/108. At home it's much lower and sometimes when I wake up it's 108/85. When I have a headache or sick my bp spikes to 180/110. My husband has been in pain from surgeries etc.. and his bo never spikes like mine.

This new doc suggested a beta blocker but I really want to avoid taking those. He doesn't seem to really care about my health history and I think he just pushes pills and wants his patents out the door.

Am I doomed to have uncontrollable BP all my life or is there a med that can help me? I am afraid I will stroke out one day while going out doing activities unknowingly with my bp spiking 200/110.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

midget2428 HB User
Re: paroxysmal hypertension or labile hypertension

I think you really should be working on lowering your bp, but it will take time and patience to find the right med. If you feel that your doctor isn't listening to you or really trying to help you, I suggest you find another doctor.
Going through all this is difficult and you will need to have one who you feel is with you all the way.
Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User
Re: paroxysmal hypertension or labile hypertension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I started having BP issues after I had my kids. I have been on the highest dose of Azor, benicar and would get so/so bp but my pulse was high and I was always out of breath. I switched to 10mg of lisinopril with a low dose diuretic and it seems to be ok over all, but I will get readings in the doctors office such as 164/108. At home it's much lower and sometimes when I wake up it's 108/85. When I have a headache or sick my bp spikes to 180/110. My husband has been in pain from surgeries etc.. and his bo never spikes like mine.

when you get sick or have pain your bodies natural response is to goose up bp. Not everyone has this mechanism as hairtriggered as others. My pressure can go up 50 points if the phone rings while I am taking it.

This new doc suggested a beta blocker but I really want to avoid taking those.

with your elevated heart rate it isn't the worse thing to take especially if you use a low dose selective one. Coreg is another respected drug it is a combo beta alpha blocker.

1 He doesn't seem to really care about my health history and I think he just pushes pills and wants his patents out the door.

modern medicine is based on time constraints and writing rx's

Am I doomed to have uncontrollable BP all my life or is there a med that can help me? I am afraid I will stroke out one day while going out doing activities unknowingly with my bp spiking 200/110.
the funny thing is that most literature indicates that strokes and cardiac events are equally occuring in normotensive patients as well as hypertensive ones. I think they couch their predictions by using the term, increased risk. The high spikes you have if they last a long time can damage small delicate blood vessels in your kidneys and eyes. If your blood work is good and the eye doc gives you a clean bill of health try and not add additional anxiety to your bp. If your average bp is 140/90 or lower you're doing great. The average is the quanitifiable number that makes sense not the spikes. Unless there is something driving the spikes as a primary health condition

Reply Reply