It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

Joezeff2013 HB User
Blood pressure obsession

I wonder if anyone can help. Im 33 14 stone been told im pre diabetic and normal colesterol I went for a normal check up and my bp was high 145/90. I suffer from anxiety and take amtripline lowest dose. I also take lowest dose propanol for panic attacks. After my high reading of bp I bought a home machine where I now and obsessed with readings I was getting 120/80 or and as low as 110/68. I went back to nurse and got a high reading of 153/100 then I panicked and a anxiety set it bad. Now I check myself 10 times a day or more . I went back to docs and he said with my home readings being normal i am fine and should stop checking myself. But for the last week im so so worried i. Gonna die of high blood pressure i get readings between 117/75 to 140/94 which is my highest home reading. Now im freaking out completely. I feel trapped and consumed my this i can't rest till I get a normal reading and I keep working myself up so so much. I have lost a stone in 3 weeks as I want to lose weight and doing 30 min a day on step machine and 15 min weights i eat healthily now and don't smoke or drink. Doctor said to try stopping amtripline pills which im on 2 per week but finding i get a rush of blood to the head when standing. I told the doc he said its either low pressure when standing or coming of the anti depressants. I need to know if this high home readings will kill me soon as I need to make arrangements , im sorry if this is alreadys been talked about but im at my final straw i can't take this no more. I'd rather jump in front of a train than wait for this to kill me. Plz help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User
Re: Blood pressure obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezeff2013 View Post
I wonder if anyone can help. Im 33 14 stone been told im pre diabetic and normal colesterol I went for a normal check up and my bp was high 145/90.

this is not that high. A single reading of a higher pressure doesn't indicate high blood pressure, just a higher reading. Since you have an anxiety disorder your pressure may go high as you suffer anxiety

I suffer from anxiety and take amtripline lowest dose.

what dose? Ami can cause reduced pressure or increased pressure. Regardless, it seems it isn't reducing your anxiety based upon you new ocd tendency and anxiety regarding your blood pressure. You actually may need a higher dose or a change to another anxiety med. Benzo's reduce blood pressure in particular valium since it can relax the tissue that surounds arterioles, it can also slow down your tendency to overbreathe.

I also take lowest dose propanol for panic attacks.

do you realize that propanolol is a beta blocker? These drugs reduce blood pressure not increase it.

After my high reading of bp I bought a home machine where I now and obsessed with readings I was getting 120/80 or and as low as 110/68. I went back to nurse and got a high reading of 153/100 then I panicked and a anxiety set it bad. Now I check myself 10 times a day or more . I went back to docs and he said with my home readings being normal i am fine and should stop checking myself. But for the last week im so so worried i. Gonna die of high blood pressure i get readings between 117/75 to 140/94 which is my highest home reading.

these readings aren't high and they won't kill you. Hypertension kills by blasting your organs and vessels for years with high damaging pressure. It is a slow progression to disease states. Anyone can suffer a stroke or infarction if they are predispossed to it. Your risks increase as your pressure goes up, but the risk is still there if you are predisposed almost regardless of your pressure. You are suffering from an anxiety response to death and illness that you are convincing yourself you have, even though your doctor has told you that you don't. You could use some better anxiety drugs and some cognitive behavioral therapy to learn better ways to manage your anxiety.

Now im freaking out completely. I feel trapped and consumed my this i can't rest till I get a normal reading and I keep working myself up so so much. I have lost a stone in 3 weeks as I want to lose weight and doing 30 min a day on step machine and 15 min weights i eat healthily now and don't smoke or drink. Doctor said to try stopping amtripline pills which im on 2 per week but finding i get a rush of blood to the head when standing. I told the doc he said its either low pressure when standing or coming of the anti depressants.

Could be either and could also be just anxiety.

I need to know if this high home readings will kill me soon as I need to make arrangements , im sorry if this is alreadys been talked about but im at my final straw i can't take this no more. I'd rather jump in front of a train than wait for this to kill me. Plz help.
Check out resperate. It is expensive but it is a relatively benign method to use biofeedback and slow breathing. It can reduce or normalize blood pressure for some and it is relaxing to use. Ask your doc about ramping up your ami or switching it to another antidepressant and adding a benzo like valium. Many docs in the UK are benzophobic so it may be difficult to get him to script for one but antidepressants ae just as "dependency prone" as benzos. Your tricyclic ad med is an easier one to get off but the ssri type are very difficult. Do check out cbt type therapy and see if you can get to seeing someone who can help you defuse your anxiety response and do throw away your bp machine. Let your doctor take your readings and if it presents a problem after you are on better working anxiety drugs you can possibly start taking readings once per day at a specific time and averaging the numbers over a month to see if using bp meds makes sense. For now they don't, which is ironic since your already using one (propanolol). One more thought is that if you use short acting propanolol once a day it may wear off and cause your pressure to increase slightly as your heart rate increases and the blocking of adrenaline reduces.

I do hope this helps and you feel better

Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
(male)

Joezeff2013 HB User

Thanks for reply. The doctor said the propanaol is such a small dose it wouldn't lower blood pressure he said the dose im on is to treat anxiety. But im not sure. Yeh I need to relax more and try stop thinking about it all the time. All I do is think about it and think about my health and I feel I have a major fear of death or being told im going to die and have a short time to live. It's a vicious circle as more i think of it and worry the higher my bp will go which in long term will cause damage to blood vessels . I know the home readings are not majorly high but if I don't get below 120/80 then its makes me panic. As all last week I felt calm and was getting constant readings of 110/70 to 120/80 which I was happy about the happier I felt the more normal they became. When I went to docs last Monday I should be feeling happy as he was happy at my blood sugar levels and my home bp readings and told me my colesterol was perfect . As my dad died aged 77 of heart attack that makes me scared too. Although as he was over 50 when he got any problems im not classed as a higher risk apart from my diabetes. And what worries me is usually after 5pm I feel a head rush when standing had it alot more last week when my bp was 110/75 or lower but did says it was possibly me coming off the amtriplyne so now I take one every 2 day and same with omeprazole . I read alot of people had bad side effects coming off amtriplyne . But also read that med can raise bp and blood sugar levels. Anyway from today I will try not to check my bp at least for a few days and try ******** some relax program I just want to feel normal again and not like a freak and enjoy life. I have a Wonderfull wife and 4 year old daughter but im missing out with my obsessions and OCD. For example one of my OCD is i have to drink at least 2l of water a day and every time i take a drink from the tap i have to rinse the glass out 7 times. Why why why. Am I a freak. .?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
(male)

Joezeff2013 HB User

Oh I forgot every time I let the doc take my bp its even worse as he says its white coat syndrome. I thought this to until I got a few high readings at home but I was really worrying this week and high anxiety

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
(male)

Bexiesbruv HB UserBexiesbruv HB UserBexiesbruv HB User

Hello there!
No you are NOT a freak.
I envy you your readings, even what you consider high, on a day to day basis would be a bonus for many, including me. Not a day goes by that I dont hit the 150/90 mark. It was just a few years ago that "normal" was 130/90 so again your higher readings would have been considered ok. Its easy for us to say don't panic and try not to worry but I really think in your situation thats what you need to do. It looks very much like you do not have an issue at all. You will have seen from your research the BP rises and lowers during the course of the day. Taking a reading after eating/drinking or with a full bladder can affect it. There are so many variables. Why not go for a brief walk every time you feel you need to check it. The exercise will benefit you way more than stressing out over a reading. 2 lt of water daily is awesome too. I wish I could get that much down me!
Instead of obsessing over a few (and it is a few) health related negatives, try to look at how well you are in every other regard. You really do have much to be thankful for and I do envy you your good health.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
(female)

Liz926 HB User

Hi there.
Oo my God! believe in God, with him everything is possible. I am feeling your pain dear, high blood pressure is just a normal disease like others so, we don't need to panic or be frustrated because that is the cause of it.We need to take it serious to overcome it. I suggest that you come down first and move forward. why don't you just get rid of that machine because it will just add to your higher blood pressure. Visit your doctor regularly as usual, try to associate yourself with people you love and try not to stress your self most of the time. follow your medication as prescribed i am sure you will do better. try to eat healthy, be happy and do exercise each and every day. lastly try to pray each and every day, and believe that God will return you to your normal life. good luck

Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Many folks (including you) seem to worry that you are going to die from high blood pressure. I can assure you that with a BP of 150/100 you will live for decades without a problem. BPs in the range cause problems after a lifetime, not in the short-term.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
Liz926 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
(male)

Joezeff2013 HB User

Thanks for all ur replays it has helped . I did stop taking my bp for a day and did feel slightly better then i said I'll try taking it as I felt ok but no. Got readings of average 134/91. Even got a 145/99. That was the first reading and did seem to drop each time I took it. It was taking at 6.30am plus I haven't slept for 25 hours as was working. What confuses me is last week every reading I took was below 120/80 then went to docs for colestral results which were fine and shown him my weeks bp readings which he was very happy with so why did this not ease my thoughts and worries. Every waking second i think of my bp and constantly looking online and forums at bp problems. Im now only taking 1 amtriplyne every 3 days and one ompereprazol every 3 days but take propanaol is smallest dose for panic attacks . But haven't had an attack for years but doctor kept me on them. Could it be that cause im stopping the anti depressant my old depressing anxiety thoughts are coming back causing me to worry and raise my bp. Also I need to know if it will kill me having these readings or dose it take a long term high bp to kill me or are my readings even that high i just don't know. At this moment I actually feel like its a death sentance and im better off just killing myself and I feel thus is no way to live and no way to think all the time. It's consuming my life , I just can't stop thinking of it and no matter what im told it makes no difference. Plz help

The Following User Says Thank You to Joezeff2013 For This Useful Post:
Liz926 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
(male)

Bexiesbruv HB UserBexiesbruv HB UserBexiesbruv HB User

Just shifting about in your seat whilst taking your BP can alter it. Do you sit quietly for 10-15 minutes before taking a reading and then wait two minutes between readings?
If no matter what your are told makes no difference to the way you feel then you need to get back to your Doctor and communicate that to him/her and get some professional help to enable you to cope with these feelings and get them into some sort of perspective. Certainly the forum (in my opinion) will do nothing to help you, how can it? The best anyone here can do is offer sympathy and/or encouragement or drug suggestions to take to your Doctor.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
(male)

Joezeff2013 HB User
Unhappy Re: Blood pressure obsession

thank you, Bexiesbruv

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, blood pressure, obsession, ocd, suicide