It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
(male)

brito185 HB User
atenolol withdrawal help

I took 25 mg atenolol for 1 month, then wean off taking 12.5 mg for a week and 6.25 mg for another week then stop. Today is my 4th week without it and i still have fast heart rate, dizziness and weakness. The first 2 weeks were not so bad only some headaches and weakness but in the last weeks my heart started racing and i feel dizziness, weakness and some anxiety. Do you think these are still withdrawal synthoms? How long this takes to go away?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
(male)

Live to fish HB User
Re: atenolol withdrawal help

Brito,
join the party. I quit about 7 weeks now getting a little better but still dizzy and light headed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
(male)

brito185 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live to fish View Post
Brito,
join the party. I quit about 7 weeks now getting a little better but still dizzy and light headed.

Thanks for your response! How long did you take atenolol? I`ve been on it only one month with the lowest dose, so i hope things do not take long time to improve. I heard that with the 25 mg the withdrawal synthoms disappear in 2/3 weeks, but i think it also depends on the person.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
(male)

Live to fish HB User

Brito185,
never tried atenolol but been on other beta blockers for about 5 years.

Last edited by Live to fish; 04-27-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Sure sounds like withdrawal. It took me about 2 months to get back to normal after quitting betaxolol (similar to Atenolol) in November, after taking for nearly a decade. Do your best to wait it out because it will get better in time...

Last edited by atengnr; 04-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
(male)

brito185 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Sure sounds like withdrawal. It took me about 2 months to get back to normal after quitting betaxolol (similar to Atenolol) in November, after taking for nearly a decade. Do your best to wait it out because it will get better in time...

Yes, surely are withdrawal effects! But i stopped atenolol 1 month ago so i strange the fact that only in the last week the symptoms became more stronger.
Another quaestion: I would like to start exercising in the gym. When do you think i can exercise after stop atenolol? I heard that while weaning off a beta blocker is better to limit the physical exercise.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brito185 View Post
I took 25 mg atenolol for 1 month, then wean off taking 12.5 mg for a week and 6.25 mg for another week then stop. Today is my 4th week without it and i still have fast heart rate, dizziness and weakness.
Why were you prescribed atenolol? Was it for palpitations or a fast, or erratic heart rate; or for high blood pressure?

Atenolol reduces heart rate and lowers blood pressure, thereby helping the heart to beat better. When you stop taking heart medication, you lose the benefits of that heart medication, perhaps causing increased symptoms, such as fast heart rate, weakness, higher blood pressure, etc.

Unfortunately, most heart/blood pressure medications cause uncomfortable and unfortunate side effects, such as tiredness, weakness, etc. So.... it's a difficult choice between getting the health benefits of the medication(s) and suffering the side effects, or suffering the consequences of not taking the helpful medications.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
(male)

brito185 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Why were you prescribed atenolol? Was it for palpitations or a fast, or erratic heart rate; or for high blood pressure?

Atenolol reduces heart rate and lowers blood pressure, thereby helping the heart to beat better. When you stop taking heart medication, you lose the benefits of that heart medication, perhaps causing increased symptoms, such as fast heart rate, weakness, higher blood pressure, etc.

Unfortunately, most heart/blood pressure medications cause uncomfortable and unfortunate side effects, such as tiredness, weakness, etc. So.... it's a difficult choice between getting the health benefits of the medication(s) and suffering the side effects, or suffering the consequences of not taking the helpful medications.

I took atenolol for treating fast heart rate.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I took atenolol for treating fast heart rate.
Did it stop your heart from beating fast?

If so, did it make you feel tired and weak?

At any rate, you need to either find out what is making your heart beat fast, or you might need to be on some kind of medication.

Do you plan on getting on something other than atenolol?

Do you drink coffee or tea? Drink soda or energy drinks? Drink alcohol? Eat chocolate? Smoke?

Do you have allergies?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-30-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
(male)

brito185 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Did it stop your heart from beating fast?

If so, did it make you feel tired and weak?

At any rate, you need to either find out what is making your heart beat fast, or you might need to be on some kind of medication.

Do you plan on getting on something other than atenolol?

Do you drink coffee or tea? Drink soda or energy drinks? Drink alcohol? Eat chocolate? Smoke?

Do you have allergies?

Yes, it helped me in my HR. Went from 100s to 60s-70s, so my doctor decided stop atenolol and also because my BP was to low. Now with the withdrawal, my HR increased again to 90s-100s and sometimes 110s. But this is not even the worst part, i think the worst is the anxiety caused by the withdrawal. Are there any natural products that reduce this anxiety levels?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... But this is not even the worst part, i think the worst is the anxiety caused by the withdrawal. Are there any natural products that reduce this anxiety levels?
I don't know if it will help you, but for me, I take vitamin B-Complex 50mg, once a day, for anxiety.

Atenolol messes around with your Adrenal glands. The adrenal glands can mess with one's anxiety. So.... once your adrenals go back to normal function, your anxiety levels should go back to normal, IMHO. It could take about a week or so.

You know that the atenolol slowed down your heart. What do you intend to do about your fast heart rate? It's not good for the heart to be stressed like that all the time.

If it were me, I would want to ask the doctor if I could try a small dose of Digoxin, around .125mg and see if that worked. Digoxin has relatively mild and more bearable side effects.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Your next best drug would be verapamil for tachycardia. Cardizem could also be tried.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
(male)

brito185 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
Your next best drug would be verapamil for tachycardia. Cardizem could also be tried.

I am currently taking valerian root extract to relieve the anxiety caused by atenolol withdrawal. I heard that valerian root is also good for tachycardia and stabilize the heart rhythm. Hope things get better!

Reply Reply