It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV/AIDS Living With Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

sofreeradical HB User
HIV/AIDS & Long-term survival!

Hi. My partner is now 41, and has been HIV+ since 1987. In fact, this fall, will mark his 18th year. Initially, he was given just two years to live, back in those early days. Now, although the illness has taken him many places, including near death in 1997 and which took him years to fully recover from, he is now undetectable. We live together, I am negative, and although he is on antiretrovirals, is relatively healthy. He has his off days, the occasional medication side effect and home health care and a nurse, his CD4 is up around 300. He is very emotionally stable now, and even if I wasn't around, would remain entirely self-sufficient and capable. Does anyone else know of such long-term survivors? Does anyone know of any longer-term survivors that sound like my partner, who are undetactable? I know he is very strong to have coped this long...and although I cam very hopeful and optimistic about his condition and advances in medical treamtments...my natural human fear is of course losing him one day. He is still on 'old school' meds (Crixivan, D4T, and 3TC in combination) and is no where near death, dying or illness. If anything were to happen, I know he has the best care, the will to fight, and many more drugs and options to try. I aklso know of other long termers who are now living over 20 years with this illness. Although the face of HIV/AIDS has changes drastically, are such situations 'off the charts'? Are more and more people really living over 20 years now? Is it common? Does anyone know the longest survivor of this illness? I love my partner very much...I am his bigget supporter and I just have this idea that we should live each day to the fullest, live our lives the way we choose, love one another, and not think of what is what could be. It's not really denying ourselves anything...just living with the knowledge that one of us has a chronic helth challenge. I still pray for a cure...or best a reversal of the progression. Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: HIV/AIDS & Long-term survival!

Hi, there! There seem to be more and more of us out there. I have known I am positive for the past eleven years. At this point my T-cell count is 144 although it's never been above 200 and my viral load has always been undetectable. I have a friends who's partner has also been postive for 18 yrs (I think also that he's unable to take retro-virals). Also, there are a couple of people here who are long term survivors. YOu guys are truly blessed to have each other - you seem perfect together - and I trust you will be so for many, many years to come. Bless you both! Chris

Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
(female)

its2late2dream HB User

I think it's great that he's beaten the odds. I suspect that his support system(namely you) has as much to do with it as his meds and perseverance. I hope you have many more years to share together. There are some wonderful people here who can share a little more about long term survivors. You have an amazing attitude, he's lucky to have you. I pray everyday that everyone here also defies this horrible disease.. Barb
Especially you chris. I love you,friend.

Last edited by its2late2dream; 08-05-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

penniedad HB User
Smile Re: HIV/AIDS & Long-term survival!

, IAM 15 YRS. undetectable, but crixivan!oh my, lost gallbladder from it and it hurt my liver but now iam on new ones that are great, i know a few over 20 but they have had ups and down, i think new meds. are good, god bless both of you, that is why hes doing good!!!!! he has you!!! i think love is so important, and alot of us dont have that, best to both of you

Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

Caguy HB User

I probably have been HIV positive since the mid 1980's. I had one bout of pnemomia and my physician put me on anti-virals. It now has been only two years on meds and I just got off them. I encourage everyone to read everything they can get their hands on. THESE AIDS DRUGS WILL KILL YOU. They will destroy your liver, do weird things to your body. There is not one reference you can find that proves that HIV causes AIDS.

I now feel better than ever. My lipodystrophy is going away. No more fat tummy. I have gotten on a vitamin, nutrition regimin which makes me look and feel ten times better.

Are you aware that the people of Senegal are among the most non-monogamous people on the planet, yet this african nation has the lowest cases of AIDS on the planet? The reason why? SELENIUM. Their soil is rich in it. Ask any doctor worth his weight what nutrient is missing from those who have depleated immune systems. They will tell you it it SELENIUM. I advise anyone who is on HIV meds to consider alternative therapy. There are alot of charlatans out there, so pick your plan very carefully. When you are HIV positive it is a fact that your body uses up vitamins much faster. You will need more of them and the right ones.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

angel4u HB User

[B][I]I have only been positive since 2001 but I do know someone who has been positive over 20yrs and is doing well. When I was diagnosed initially I was Aids defined. Tcells 170 and VL through the roof. Today my Tcells are 1050 yes I said 1050 and I am undetectable. I am not yet nor hope to be on the Protease Inhibitors they are very rough on your body. Your friend on Crixivan needs to make sure he drinks enough water that is vitally important as its a drug that dehydrates your body. I am glad to hear that he is undetectable because that means his drug therapy is working. I also believe that besides conventional medicine we can use alternative therapies to help our bodies recover. I would suggest your friend or anyone who wants to increase tcells look into healing meditation, herbal cleansings etc etc. Our minds and our bodies are amazing and we really can make ourselves well through right action. The only think I would STRESS is that you check any herbal therapies through ********.com to make sure there are no reactions between the herbs and your personal meds. I also just finished reading a book by Dr Hulda Clark on curing hiv: Yes I know its a huge claim but what I came away with in reading the book is an awareness of how many toxins we ingest without knowing it. It is a good read and although I am not supporting what she claims I am definitely going to do some of the cleansing therapies she suggests. I also believe that love can help us overcome the most debilitating conditions and your friend has that in his life via you. Blessings to both of you and may your love carry you through this life. Every day is a miracle.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #7

bushleaguer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caguy
I probably have been HIV positive since the mid 1980's. I had one bout of pnemomia and my physician put me on anti-virals. It now has been only two years on meds and I just got off them. I encourage everyone to read everything they can get their hands on. THESE AIDS DRUGS WILL KILL YOU. They will destroy your liver, do weird things to your body. There is not one reference you can find that proves that HIV causes AIDS.
If you are unsure of your status (as you say, "you probably have been hiv positive since the mid 1980's"), then you should have your doctor do an antibody test. It can be done by drawing blood or via taking a swab from your mouth. There are rapid tests that are used today that will provide a result in half an hour.

You are correct about the harm that a HAART regimen will do to organs such as your liver. But if a person is diligent in keeping an eye on their liver function (again a simple blood test), then having one's liver "destroyed" can be avoided. My cousin is positive and had to make an adjustment in his cocktail due to an elevated liver panel (don't know what specific med caused this).

As far as HIV not causing AIDS, I think the entire medical world would disagree. AIDS is caused by HIV. But this is just my opinion.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
(female)

penniedad HB User
Angry Re: HIV/AIDS & Long-term survival!

i got off all my meds once, listening to someone tell me the drugs would kill me ! no i did almost die then, i got sick fast, tcells down to 55,i went back on new meds and now iam 100% better, we are all different, but i thank god for these meds!!!!!they may make some people a little sick but iam alive!!!!!!

Closed Thread