It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV/AIDS Living With Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
(female)

lovepril HB User
Re: New (Ex Husband recently diagnosed)

i know your dealing a tough problem especially to your son. i think it's not a good idea to him that his dad is having this kind of disease. maybe tell him that your dad is very ill and no accurate medicine yet for his disease.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

i personally don't think your son needs to know that his Dad has AIDS. I would wait until you know what his prognosis is even before telling your son because now adays..medicine is amazing...he may be able to maintain his health after he is on the medicine. If he is definetly going to take a turn for the worst...than I think it would be better to prepare your son. I'm sorry you are going thru such a tough time and got this horrible news...glad you are ok and you did not come down with the illness.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misssty For This Useful Post:
ExWifeFriend (12-28-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
(male)

TTCD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWifeFriend View Post
My heart is racing even composing a new thread. I am looking for support. I am 42 years old and have been divorced from my ex-husband for 10 years. He and I have remained friends even after the divorce and we have one child together; a son who just turned 13.

He had been progressively ill for several months. He finally learned he was was HIV +. Two days later he was diagnosed with AIDS. His CD4 cell count was 30. It is my understanding that an HIV patient is diagnosed with having AIDS once their CD4 cell count falls below 200. Because his is 30, I don't know if that means he is "closer to death" than someone whose count is say, 150, 100 or even 50. I just know he is extremely frail, his speech is becoming increasingly incoherent.

Though we both believe he contracted the virus in the early 2000's after our divorce but he was unfaithful during our marriage and he and I were intimate one time after we had separated. He has never used IV drugs nor has he ever had a same sex encounter. I immediately had a rapid HIV test and it was negative. I'm not sure how often I should continue to get these tests, but I'm sure I will every 3 months or so.

In the past week he has been started on a series of the HAART drugs. I have no idea what to expect over the next few months.

We have decided to wait until school breaks for the summer to tell our son that his dad is ill, but not sure we should tell him it's AIDS or not.

Any comments are appreciated.
Hi ExWifeFriend,

I read your thread and curious about something, so I hope you don't mind that I ask. You mentioned that he probably got the virus in early 2000's, and your post was in late 2010. That is about 11 years, so my question is: Did he ever had any annual check up all those years? If so, would those blood tests show something? I know CBC is a part of the annual check up, so I was curious how things were. I don't know much about blood test, but I thought white blood count would have shown something.

Smitler, I also would like to hear your opinion about this. Could a person be contracted with the virus for 10 years and have normal annual check up each year since then?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCD View Post

Smitler, I also would like to hear your opinion about this. Could a person be contracted with the virus for 10 years and have normal annual check up each year since then?
that could be possible but i would say unlikely for most people
i know the levels in my blood tests
are as good as any healthy person but that is
because i'm on medication to keep those levels up.
people can go a few years with out meds but then it will catch up to the body and things will start to effect certian levels in the blood
once the immune system starts to break down.
at that time other health problems will start to happen
and they will point to hiv
like in this case.

also you have to take in account that
some people don't know exactly when they got it
so how long they have it could be also up for debate also.

so what i'm saying if you get it and aren't aware of having it
sooner then later you will discover it.
you just hope you do discover it before you infect someone else.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
(male)

jelloshots HB User

Wow. I'm really glad that things worked out in your favor. I can personally relate to the situation. Just wanted to drop in in read your post. Ciao

Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
(male)

jake99 HB User

I was diagnosed with HIV in 2008 with a CD4 count of 12 and a viral load of 6 million. It seems I had contracted it from a one-time encounter many years prior (of which I had basically forgotten about).

Throughout that time I had the normal annual physicals and checkups. These would not show HIV infection as the typical bloodwork does not look for the virus. I felt perfectly healthy and did not know I was infected until dark spots started to appear on my skin which turned out to be Kaposi's Sarcoma. At that point, the doctor decided to perform an HIV test and found out I was positive.

I was immediately put on Atripla which, thanks be to God, has helped my body rebound tremendously. Almost 3 years later and my CD4 count is now 260 and my viral load is undetectable even with the newest testing of looking for levels < 20! I have never had any side effects from the meds and my body adapted to them quickly. Other than the KS, I have never dealt with anything related to being HIV+. I consider myself to be truly blessed by God.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
(male)

Gramps2011 HB User

Hi,
I was recently diagnosed as positive as well, likely from a surgery in the 1980's. I was symptom free, with the exception of a "slightly" low platelet count this whole time, more than 20 years and felt pretty good! Last fall I started getting floaters more than usual. Turned out to be a partially detached retina due to the virus.
What I have read on this board has made me feel more comfortable in a very stressful and anxious time. My cd4 was 20 but load was 10000. I started Atripla about a month ago and now awaiting my first results. Just trying to stay positive.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
(female)

ExWifeFriend HB User

Hi Gramps! I can't tell you how badly I feel that you have recently received the news of your diagnosis. However, I can tell you that since my ex husband was diagnosed HIV+ in November and diagnosed with AIDS just a few weeks later and has been started on quite the regimen...he is a MILLION times better in just these few short months. This God-forsaken condition may not yet be "curable", but boy can I see the miraculous improvements in medications. My ex has gained back weight he lost, gained back a healthy color in his skin, gained back much of his hair loss and gained a new sense of LIFE in general. He has had a very positive attitude and I believe that is a direct effect to his "better well-being". I'm not sure I've heard of Atripla, but my ex is on Darunavir, Emtricitabine/Tenofovir and Ritonavir and thank GOD, so far so good. Keep your spirits high, maintain a close relationship with your doctor and eat healthy/exercise. I bet you find you will be with us for many many many years to come! Keep us posted.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
(male)

Gramps2011 HB User

Thanks for the kind note. Atripla is a combination drug my ID Doc says is now the gold standard. Spoke to him yesterday cd count up slightly and virus now undetectable after only about thirty days. Very encouraging just need to stick to program.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
(female)

ExWifeFriend HB User

Most EXCELLENT news Gramps!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #26
Inactive
(male)

mchavers1 HB Usermchavers1 HB User

There are very good information out there on dealing with HIV. I know the ex basketball player Magic Johnson of the lakers, uses IV's for him living with HIV. There is some very good developement on a antioxidant called Glutathione, which is the most prevalent antioxidant in supporting your cells from a intracelluar standpoint that can provide in the cell integrity.

This research I can help you to see what this is doing in a possitive way.

God Bless!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #27
(female)

May2011 HB User

I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years and he just found out that he is positive. He believes that he contracted the virus before me. I had to be tested each month until I was out of the three month window. He had been sick for a while, but would have never guessed this. He found out when he was admitted to the hospital. You have to be strong for your child, for yourself, and your ex. I am dealing with this and it has been very hard. People will want you to turn your back, but you share a child with this man. You must allow your child to see that if being there for his father makes him deal with this situation, you have to do what you have to do. It isn't easy, because I am having a hard time dealing with my family, but you do what your heart tells you.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
(female)

Annieb717 HB User

I know exactly what you are going thru, my sons father also has this virus , but hide it from us, we are divource and I'm remarry lucky for me his attempt to give me this diesase did not succeed , his health his getting worst as he continue to use drugs and I think its time to tell my 12 year old his father is dying

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
(female)

21Delicious HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieb717 View Post
I know exactly what you are going thru, my sons father also has this virus , but hide it from us, we are divource and I'm remarry lucky for me his attempt to give me this diesase did not succeed , his health his getting worst as he continue to use drugs and I think its time to tell my 12 year old his father is dying
well i hope u don't tell him yet wait do u know what toll that could've on a child please wait and if u do please seek other help

Closed Thread