It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV/AIDS Living With Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

rousseau HB User
an unusual case

Hello, I jusst joined. I'm not sure whether this is the best venue for my questions, but I'll find out.

I am what might be called a caretaker/advocate for a hiv/aids patient who does not really have a clue as to how to deal with bureaucracies. She is 36. She was given hiv by her then-partner, who has been long dead (of aids). She has had the virus for a verified 14 years, possibly longer.

This in itself is unusual, because untreated people were dying, back in the day, after 4 or 5 years. She is stubbornly untreated, saying that the medicines (which she once tried for a matter of days) make her nauseous. She has the belief that if she does not 'worry about it' she'll be ok. For the occasional infection, antibiotics are sought.

She does seem to be maintaining. So I choose not to browbeat her, concerning treatment, as her doctors do. It's counterproductive and exhausting.

I often think, though, that a person who has maintained for so long should herself be an object of inquiry. What's going on with her biochemistry that might be useful to others?

Be that as it may, let's get on to the true oddness. She also suffer from 'life-threatening anemia', in which red blood cell loss from undetermined cause necessitates an rbc transfusion every six months.

She has had two of these. After the first, her viral load dropped to 'undetectable'. Her health care professionals congratulated her, thinking that she had begun to take her medicines. She hadn't. After the second transfusion, there was no change.

I am convinced that there was some factor in one of the donors' blood --- there were two donors --- that ate up the virus like pac-man eats up those little golf balls. What other explanation is there? Should not this donor be investigated by every research resource available?

I described this case in letters to two hiv researchers. In neither case did I receive a reply. There is probably no theoretical base to account for it.

No mistake was made in the blood test; the unusual results prompted the lab to re-test. No error.

What should be done, and where should I go? Some other message board? I know the rules are pretty tight here. Also, if only for her sake, I'd like to find that donor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: an unusual case

each person's body will react to hiv differently
there are a certian group of people who are called elite controllers
they have the ability to control the virus in thier body on thier own
with no meds.
your friend might fall into that catagory or something similar.
they are studying these people to see what makes this happen.
of course the viral load will drop when blood with no hiv
is put in place of blood with hiv.
in a matter of a day or so the viral load
will go back to where it was previously...
i will say if she doesn't listen to the doctors
she is playing with fire and will be burned sooner then later..
good luck

Closed Thread