It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV/AIDS Living With Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

scaredgirl7 HB User
Test reults. really need advice

Hello all,

I am at a total loss for words right now. I didnt even know how to begin this trend.
I recieved the worst news ever yesterday. I got a call from my dr and he told me that my hiv result was reactive, and that they are in going to perform a western blot on my blood sample.
I have since been locked in my room, crying. I do not know what to do with myself. I have already convienced myself that I have hiv, but have not been able to accept it yet.

Here is a little history on me.
3 years ago, I ended a relationship with a man that I had dated for years. Comes to be, he wasn't the man I thought he was.He had been cheating on me from what people have said and he used drugs. I am not sure what drugs he used.
I got into a total panic mode when I found about all this, which wasn't until a year or so after we had ended things.

We had unprtected sex numerous times. The LAST exposure had to have been in Dec of 2009.
I didn't think too much until Aug of 2010 (when I found out about his usage and cheating).
I tested numerous times starting Aug 2010. Close to 7 times to be exact. All of them were negative.I also tested for everything else and they too were negative.

I decided that I wanted to test one last time last week. I went to my dr and he drew blood from me and told me Id get the result soon. Soon was yesterday.
All came back negative EXCEPT for the HIV.
HOW can this happen.
I have not had any exposure since dec 2009. How can I have so many negative results and then be positive now?

Does it seriously take that long to test positive? 2.5+ years later?
I have looked up everything about hiv this past night. I am constantly checking my fever, lymph nodes and skin for rashes. I can feel a few lymph nodes but my fever has been normal (I check it every few hrs).
I am trying to remember back throughout these few years, but I can not remember ever getting reallllly sick.
What am I missing?

Sorry to drag this trend so long
I am seriously scared and confused.
The WB wont be in for days!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
(male)

Luzinit HB User
Re: Test reults. really need advice

Scared,
I am sorry for what you are going through. I just posted a question about my personal situation and I have not received any advice or opinions. I bout 4 online tests 2 oral and 2 urine. The first oral was pos then the next neg then the nex two didn't work stall. I went to planned parenthood and took a rapid oral which came back neg. So despite the neg tests the pos still messes with you. I am by no means an expert however what I have read indicates false positives do occur. The length of time and the neg tests you have already have could suggest this is the case. The western blot will tell the story. If it is Neg you won't be the first this has happened to. Hang in there. Testing is the only way to know for sure at least then youll know which way things are heading. I'm sendin you a lot of good luck neg karma. Make sure to send some back!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
(male)

darklabel HB User
Re: Test reults. really need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredgirl7 View Post
Hello all,

I am at a total loss for words right now. I didnt even know how to begin this trend.
I recieved the worst news ever yesterday. I got a call from my dr and he told me that my hiv result was reactive, and that they are in going to perform a western blot on my blood sample.
I have since been locked in my room, crying. I do not know what to do with myself. I have already convienced myself that I have hiv, but have not been able to accept it yet.

Here is a little history on me.
3 years ago, I ended a relationship with a man that I had dated for years. Comes to be, he wasn't the man I thought he was.He had been cheating on me from what people have said and he used drugs. I am not sure what drugs he used.
I got into a total panic mode when I found about all this, which wasn't until a year or so after we had ended things.

We had unprtected sex numerous times. The LAST exposure had to have been in Dec of 2009.
I didn't think too much until Aug of 2010 (when I found out about his usage and cheating).
I tested numerous times starting Aug 2010. Close to 7 times to be exact. All of them were negative.I also tested for everything else and they too were negative.

I decided that I wanted to test one last time last week. I went to my dr and he drew blood from me and told me Id get the result soon. Soon was yesterday.
All came back negative EXCEPT for the HIV.
HOW can this happen.
I have not had any exposure since dec 2009. How can I have so many negative results and then be positive now?

Does it seriously take that long to test positive? 2.5+ years later?
I have looked up everything about hiv this past night. I am constantly checking my fever, lymph nodes and skin for rashes. I can feel a few lymph nodes but my fever has been normal (I check it every few hrs).
I am trying to remember back throughout these few years, but I can not remember ever getting reallllly sick.
What am I missing?

Sorry to drag this trend so long
I am seriously scared and confused.
The WB wont be in for days!
I am sorry about what you are going through, but I wouldn't be quite so worked up yet. Reactive simply means that when performing the ELISA test (usually the first test run due to its quickness and relative cheapness) it didn't come back definitively negative nor definitively positive. The Western Blot usually helps to confirm the results. If what you say is true and you aren't lying about sleeping or any drug use, then it seems unlikely to be HIV. Antibodies usually don't take longer than a year to develop.

Just wait patiently and don't think its the end of the world. Understand that reactive isn't positive. The ELISA test has a numerical value that when it is a little bit above the value for negative that it is considered reactive instead of negative, but may not necessarily be positive. It will hopefully be negative and I would retest again just to be sure.

But this is very strange, after testing 7 times over 2.5 years that your test result came back reactive. I know you would rather not, but call your previous partner about getting tested for HIV.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
(male)

justmeintheie HB User
Exclamation Re: Test reults. really need advice

I tested positive in 1987. There are alot of drugs now they didn't have any then except azt. No its not good news if you test positive because there are drugs to keep you alive, HIV / AIDS is horrible, I encourage you to have faith, talk about it as much as you need to that you can trust, do not be ashamed of it, i repeat DO NOT BE ASHAMED OF IT, it is not your fault, it was not my fault, i believe I contracted it when it was called GRID and it was just starting to pop up on the news, I am a gay man, was dating a guy who was bi and did not know it, or I could have got it just being wild and stupid back then in my party days. I wasn't even 21 yet. I am now 47 years young and ALIVE. GOD BLESS YOU, I remember like it was yesterday how I felt.

Closed Thread