It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #1

JBaum30 HB User
HIV from a Toilet Seat...?!

Please do not make fun of me... I have read several message boards, I have contacted the CDC... I have read many, many sites and all evidence points to the negative, but I need to ask anyway. Understand, that I'm a smart, college educated person, but this is driving me insane.

The scenario: A few weeks ago (4) I was at an outdoor concert, it was a cold time of year, I had much coffee, and at the end of the concert I had to pee, BAD. So, I'm standing on-line for the women's restroom. (still having to pee like a racehorse) and finally the rest room opens up.

I do my business (I'm a hover-er) get up to flush, and as I'm turning around to flush I noticed two drying spots of blood on the seat (they weren't mine). I didn't sit on the seat, but I'm afraid the back of my leg may have hit this drying blood, and as I keep thinking about it, I wonder what if my butt did hit the seat and I don't remember?! I was at the tail end of my period (not much blood at all, at all), and now I'm afraid blood dripped out of me, and into this possibly infected blood, and now I have HIV.

Even though, there is much, much evidence to the contrary, I have myself convinced I have HIV (who here mentioned the phobia, I have that), and almost nothing can change my mind... So, more reassurance would be appreciated.

Your kind remarks will be appreciated, please do not flame me, I understand in my brain how silly this is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
Ok, Im going to try to break this down for you. Here are some things you should know about HIV.

HIV is NOT easy to transmit. It is a fragile virus, and breaks down quickly, if not in the right conditions. It can ONLY infect you if it enters your bloodstream, through an open wound or mucus membranes. Now, I will see if I can relate these to your expierence.

First of all, it is highly unlikley you came into direct contact with the drops of blood. However, IF your legs, or buttocks DID touch the blood, it could ONLY infect you if it was DIRECTLY on an open wound. Unbroken skin is a barrier to HIV, and HIV can not pass through your skin.

Secondly, the blood was drying. It had probably been exposed to the air for a minute or more. HIV breaks down VERY quickly when exposed to air. It can ONLY survive outside the human body for a VERY short period of time. Some say 30 seconds or less. So, even IF the blood contained HIV, it was probably not able to transmit it at that point.

Thirdly, your blood dropping onto the other drops of blood can NO WAY AT ALL infect you. HIV must get INSIDE your body, through mucous membranes, or open wounds. Dropping your blood an infected blood CAN NOT give you HIV.

Fear is a VERY powerful thing. Something all of us here have lived with at one time or another. It will make you crazy and take your life from you LONG before HIV would. There are people who spend their lives living wih, and yes, even sleeping with HIV+ people. They care for them when they are ill and share households. There is NO RISK to them, and there is NONE to you. But, for peace of mind, I strongly suggest, if you cant let the fear go, that you be tested at the appropriate time, just for your peace of mind.

Closed Thread