It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
(male)

AnxiousBoy HB User
White Spot on Tongue

ok here goes. my tongue has a whitish color, especially in the back. i've finally convinced myself that it is bacteria build-up, nothing to worry about. but now a new problem has surfaced: i have a slightly raised whitish spot on the side of my tongue, near the front. on both sides of my tongue it seems there are grooves when i stick it out, but this spot really bugs me. its not hairy. its not bright white like some of these pics on the net. its just kind of paler. does anyone else have this? its painless. i'm freaking out that i have hairy oral leukoplakia. now that i've examined my tongue (like once every fifteen minutes!) i think i see a smaller spot on the other side, near the front. i'm very upset and need some help. if i am hiv positive, and i tested negative one year ago, is this enough time to develop this condition? i've had a lot of partners, but i've always used a condom. i know, take the test, but i really need to know if anyone else has these tiny patches.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:52 AM   #2

NeverDoItAgain HB User
Re: White Spot on Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousBoy
ok here goes. my tongue has a whitish color, especially in the back. i've finally convinced myself that it is bacteria build-up, nothing to worry about. but now a new problem has surfaced: i have a slightly raised whitish spot on the side of my tongue, near the front. on both sides of my tongue it seems there are grooves when i stick it out, but this spot really bugs me. its not hairy. its not bright white like some of these pics on the net. its just kind of paler. does anyone else have this? its painless. i'm freaking out that i have hairy oral leukoplakia. now that i've examined my tongue (like once every fifteen minutes!) i think i see a smaller spot on the other side, near the front. i'm very upset and need some help. if i am hiv positive, and i tested negative one year ago, is this enough time to develop this condition? i've had a lot of partners, but i've always used a condom. i know, take the test, but i really need to know if anyone else has these tiny patches.

if you are tested one year ago, and had waited for the 3 mth window period, then your result is negative, most likely you are negative. but, if you did engage in high risk behaviour within this one year, then it is better for you to go test again. But i dont think you are suffering from oral thrush as that will only appear in later stages of HIV infection.
Stay well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
Re: White Spot on Tongue

First of all, its not Hairy Leukoplakia, cause the REALLY looks as if your tounge is growing hair, sometimes it is even black or brown, so put that thought right out of your head.

Second, the grooves on the side of your tounge are normal, as are color variations. It is not unusual for part of a tounge to be lighter in color, or darker in color than another part. It is ALSO normal for the back of your tounge to have a white coating on it.

And lastly, unless the patch you are seeing is WHITE, raised, hard to remove and when removed bleeds, and painful, it is not oral thrush either.

If you tested negative 3 months AFTER your last possible exposure, your test is more than 90% accurate. If you tested negative and where exposed shortly after, or just before and the test didnt catch it, it is POSSIBLE that it could be HIV related, but the truth is EVERYTHING can be HIV related!!! And it would likley be too early for Hairy Lekoplakia, as that is more of an AIDS defining charecteristic, wich shouldnt generally appear for 5 years or beyond.

If your not sure of your status, be tested.

Closed Thread