It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Rafael02 HB User
Smile Oraquick rapid hiv test **UPDATE** Thanks everyone!

can anyone tell me if a negative result after 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks is somewhat conclusive or should i still be worried?

***UPDATE****
Tested again at 10 weeks....negative result. I would like to take this time to let everyone on this board know that this has been the most difficult and stressful time of my life however without being able to read everyone else's stories and posts I dont know what I would have done or how i would have made it through. I know that I dont know everyone here personally however I feel like were "all going through this together"...I had some extremely weird (for me) symptoms the past month and a half and since Im hardly ever sick, I was absolutely positive I had HIV because you feel like "you know your body"...well, obviously I didnt know my body as well as I thought....A week and a half after exposure I had a sore throat that would not go away no matter what i did....a month and a half later it was still there...i was thinking in my mind "i am such a goner" in retrospect my concerns were almost laughable but i honestly thought i was hiv positive...it turned into a kind of obsession until i feel like i almost forced my body to shut down...i didnt go out, i stayed on the couch all weekend just waiting and knowing that the muscle aches and swollen glands would come at any moment...this 'obsession' followed me to work as well when i would ask my co-workers if they thought i had a fever or if my glands felt swollen in my neck...im sure they thought i was losing my mind but they didnt know the reason behind the way i was acting...i would go to the clinic and get tested every other week for the test, just knowing one would come back positive and when they didnt i would just assume there was something wrong with the test and come back in the following 2 weeks...luckily at our health department they offer the oraquick test at no cost and the response comes in 20 minutes so there wasnt any financial waste on my end but thats really not the issue...i wasted 2 months on my life scared out of my mind over something that was never there...Im sure some or maybe alot of you feel or have felt the same way I did...since then i have gotten back on my lexapro to calm me down and you know what? all my 'symptoms' disappeared within a day of my last negative result...i had a talk with a therapist there at the clinic about the situation and i really felt like for the first time...EVERYTHINGS GOING TO BE OK...to the few that actually do test positive, my heart genuinely goes out to you...i have been to quite a few websites that offer personal stories from hiv positive individuals and after reading a few of there stories i came to the conclusion that it seems that most people that have contracted hiv arent the ones worrying about it as soon as they have an unprotected encounter, rather, they are the ones that have little to no symptoms and only discover their hiv status after routine tests pick it up...
as i look back at everything that has happened i think, how quickly someones life can change...either for the better or for the worse...one night with an anonymous or not sexual encounter can shape your future and i for one am no longer going to take that chance....i wish the best here for everyone and god bless........

Last edited by Rafael02; 08-17-2004 at 04:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 PM   #2

girlnextdoor HB User
Re: Oraquick rapid hiv test

Most people develope antibodies right away. They have to give a 3month window period to make absolutly sure because some people have taken that long to develope antibodies. If you know you had unprotected sex with an HIV possitive person then I would test again at 3 months just to be safe. But if not then you're negative!!!

Closed Thread