It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #1

Hailey_19 HB User
Dr. Knows Something I dont?

I dont know if anyone can answer this question, but its been bothering me for a while. I was recently in the hospital, for a bad reaction to an anti-biotic. Dr. asked me about my sexual history, to determine whether or not they should conduct an HIV test. I told him, that I had give oral or my current boyfriend, who is a virgin, I am a virgin as well. I also told him that I had given oral one time, to an ex of mine. He asked me if I knew anything about his sexual history, I said no, he asked when the occurance was, i told him it was over a year ago. He shrugged it off, like it was no longer a possibility. He said I had zero chance of having it, and did not conduct a test. They thought it might be possible I was suffering from ARS. Why wouldnt it still be possible for me to have contracted HIV from the previous person, despite ARS? IS there something the dr. knew that I didnt? They took many blood tests, etc. on me...I just dont really understand. It was a respected hospital in Atlanta. An infectious disease dr. I just wonder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Dr. Knows Something I dont?

i don't think that they thought you were going through ARS. it would be bad medical practice to NOT inquire sexual history to a person of child bearing age, not only because of HIV, but all STD's. your doctor seemed to be asking routine questions to get a complete medical history to paint the clearest picture possible. obviously there was no concern, so you should not be concerned. ARS happens 2-4 weeks after exposure and so after a year there would be more obvious signs if not concrete proof if you were infected, but oral sex is such a low risk activity that most doctors won't test because of that.

i had a team of 8 doctors working on/with me a little over a year ago because of a very rare colon infection, they took about 80 vials of blood over the time i was in the hospital and still can't tell me how i got it--- they have ideas, but no proof. of course AIDS was mentioned, but i am negative. you really have nothing to worry about.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #3

Hailey_19 HB User

Thanks Just reading that makes me feel better. Honestly, I was just curious about the technicality of it...which blood tests point to medical signs something is wrong, etc. For example, I know they took my white blood count, b/c it was dangerously low( it later went back up to my normal count)--the reason they kept me in the hospital, however I dont know how extensive of a blood count they took. It is my understanding that your white blood count can be all messed up, while your T cells and whatnot can remain normal, vise versa. I was also curious about ANA levels, seeing as it is the level of anti-bodies in your system that fight off disease. My levels, for that, as I remember, were perfect. Everything they tested me for was perfect, BP, no enlarged anything...urine was clean. My oxygen levels--perfect. I'm probably just too curious for my own good, eh? I have realized I do not HIV tho...I must admit, the subject still intrigues me.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
(male)

just_jake HB User

i'm sure the doctor also dismissed the hiv test because acquiring hiv orally is rare, not unheard of, but rare and you were in a low risk group

Closed Thread