It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
(male)

TKBooM1 HB User
Rash questions

Hi I've been checking out the symptoms and it says a rash is one of them. Is there a specific part of the body it usually appears? Where is the trunk of the body? I had sex with a girl I don't know back in the first week of December 2004. Haven't had any symptoms other than some sort of rash that first appeared as one bruise like oval on my upper outer left thigh. I thought it was a bruise at first but after a few weeks when it didn't go away I started to worry. Then in the past week Iíve been getting some small red spots on the back of my calves. They are not clustered nor are they painful or itchy. I have an appointment at the doctor next Tuesday so I will ask for a blood test to be sure, but just wanted some input on the rash symptom like is it a specific rash (does it have to be a pimple like rash in clusters?) and can it be anywhere on the body including the calves. Also one more thing, about 3 weeks ago I had a big painless bump behind my left ear that went away in about 1 week or so. I didnít think anything of it at the time but now Iím wondering. Is there lymph nodes behind the ears?
Thanks a lot for any help and all the info already on this board.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
(male)

Dumb1 HB User
Re: Rash questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKBooM1
Hi I've been checking out the symptoms and it says a rash is one of them. Is there a specific part of the body it usually appears? Where is the trunk of the body? I had sex with a girl I don't know back in the first week of December 2004. Haven't had any symptoms other than some sort of rash that first appeared as one bruise like oval on my upper outer left thigh. I thought it was a bruise at first but after a few weeks when it didn't go away I started to worry. Then in the past week Iíve been getting some small red spots on the back of my calves. They are not clustered nor are they painful or itchy. I have an appointment at the doctor next Tuesday so I will ask for a blood test to be sure, but just wanted some input on the rash symptom like is it a specific rash (does it have to be a pimple like rash in clusters?) and can it be anywhere on the body including the calves. Also one more thing, about 3 weeks ago I had a big painless bump behind my left ear that went away in about 1 week or so. I didnít think anything of it at the time but now Iím wondering. Is there lymph nodes behind the ears?
Thanks a lot for any help and all the info already on this board.
First off HIV is not an easy virus to get, more so woman to man, the percentage per exposure for a man through vaginal sex with an infected woman is on the order of .02%, that is very low. That said, if you did have sex with an HIV infected woman you could be infected the first time or the 400th time, you must always assume your partner is positive and be safe accordingly.

The rash you are talking about is during ARS or Acute Retroviral Syndorome, it usually occurs 2-6 weeks after infection to HIV, the symptoms hit all at once and go away all at once, thewy typically last 4-12 days. They do not come on as one symptom then go away and come back as another, then go away and another symptom. Following ARS a person is typically asymptomatic for years and feel fine, it takes 5-10 years before a person will develop Opportunistic Infections do to a weak immune system.

Symtoms are absolutely no way to tel if you have been infected with HIV, some describe ARS as the worse flu they ever had, other had absolutely no symptoms and found out they had HIV years later when OI's started to show. The only way to know if you are infected with HIV is to test 13 weeks after your riskiest possible exposure.

Best of health, always use condoms.

D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
(male)

TKBooM1 HB User

Hi this is a follow up to my previous post. I have a girlfriend with which I have had unprotected vaginal and anal sex with since my questionable exposure. If I was infected with HIV she would probably be as well, correct? (hence the unprotected anal sex which I ejaculated in her) What are the odds that she would show symptoms or early infection. She hasn't had any that I know of.
Is it possible to just get the rash and nothing else, and have the rash last for weeks? Does anyone know of any other STD's that cause rashes?
thanks.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
(male)

TKBooM1 HB User

my rash is only on my legs mainly the back of the calves but it seems to be slowly popping up in other areas of my legs (thigh, ankle, couple spots on the buttocks which I just noticed today.
I've been soooo stressed out the last couple weeks over this. I think about HIV all the time now. This is the only symptom I have. No fever, never got a flu like sickness, not painful enlarged lymph nodes, etc.)
thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Well, it doesn't sound exactly like herpes but you'd better get it checked anyway. It could be something treatable, too.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
(male)

TKBooM1 HB User

herpes??? Does herpes tend to cause a rash? I have no symptoms around my groin or genitals. Just the rash which is freaking me out!! Is it normal to get a rash and have it prolong even 8 weeks after possible infection? Everyone here says 2-4 weeks or 2-6 weeks. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I'll let you all know when I do, but in the meantime any info based on what I've said so far or words of encouragement are appreciated.
thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
(male)

Dumb1 HB User

Checking others that you had sex with for symptoms is insanity. Only a test at 13 weeks can be considered conclusive, symptoms mean squat.

D.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKBooM1
herpes??? Does herpes tend to cause a rash? I have no symptoms around my groin or genitals. Just the rash which is freaking me out!! Is it normal to get a rash and have it prolong even 8 weeks after possible infection? Everyone here says 2-4 weeks or 2-6 weeks. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I'll let you all know when I do, but in the meantime any info based on what I've said so far or words of encouragement are appreciated.
thanks

Hi TKBooM1 -

Don't worry, I HIGHLY doubt you have herpes, hon. I've had Herpes for over 2 years now, and I've never gotten a rash on my calves from it. Although I suppose there is a .1% chance that you may have contracted it, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Closed Thread