It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
(male)

george_roger1 HB User
Please advise - handjob w/fluid exposure and recurring bouts of cold.

Dear all,

I had encounters with four different partners (all unknown status), where in I engaged myself in getting a handjob by them (without condoms on), and no other sexual activity, except for some dry kissing and massage. As I recall, I didnt see any visible blood on their hands or fingers. However, one of the partners applied some kind of a lotion (which may have contained traces of vaginal body fluids), another partner washed off using a hot wet towel (again the towel may have traces of other fluids) and in another case, she applied a tiny amount of saliva on the tip of the penis (where in its fluidic already).

About 2 months (ie; 8 weeks) after the exposures, I suddenly had fever (sometimes low and sometimes high) which kept coming and going, (mostly high temps during night times) with night sweats, and it finally receded after about two weeks. Things were okay for a few weeks, till i started to have recurring bouts of cold, sore throat and cough (on an avg 1 bout per month). I have been having these for the last five months or so. These get aggravated when i get exposed to cold weather and / or consume cold drinks. Prior to the exposures, I used to have these symptoms only once a year and NOT on a recurring basis. Also, coincidentally, in our apartment, i discovered that there is a toxic mold problem.

I had been to a doctor today, and explained all the events. She thinks it's a cold allergy and has put me on a month's course of allergy medicine. However, she thought the exposure above were low risk.

But, i am not able to calm down and getting scared and worried if these symptoms (especially the fever) may be something related to std (including hiv). If at all, what stds i am risk for?
Please advise me.
I am completely stressed out due to this.
Could the above recurring symptoms be due to other factors?
Please help..

Sincere Regards
Roger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
(male)

Dumb1 HB User
Re: Please advise - handjob w/fluid exposure and recurring bouts of cold.

Roger,

In the 25+ years of HIV, this has NOT been implicated as a vector for HIV. Don't sweat it. It is winter, everyone is sick. I have had two colds this winter and now have a sinus infection that I am going to go to the doctor for. I do not have HIV. For what you were doing you will be fine, however if you engage in sexual intercourse use condoms correctly everytime, no exceptions or you MIGHT have a real exposure.

Test ONLY for peace of mind, medically for what you have described here it is not necessary.

D.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
(male)

george_roger1 HB User

Thanks for your response, D.
Actually, the time i got the fever, i recall the doctor put me on bactrum antibiotics, and fever receded in two weeks. With the recent recurring symptoms of sore throat and cough, the doctor mentioned it may be allergy and has put me on a nasal allergic spray used to cure allergic rhinitis. I did mention about the possible exposure to the doctor, and she was of the opinion it is a low risk. But, with all whats going on, every minute seems to be stressed out.

Regards
Roger

Old 02-04-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User

There have been no recorded cases of anyone having contracted HIV from the circumstances you have described.

Like the previous poster said, if you cannot get this thought out of your mind, test to put your mind at rest but you will not have contracted HIV from this.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
(male)

Dumb1 HB User

George,

I don;t know where you live but the Midwest is currently experiencing the worst air quality in the last 15 years. I live in the Midwest and have been having problems that I thought was a lingering cold for the last couple months and went to the Doctor a couple days ago - Diagnosis: Allergies. So I was given a nose spray like you for it. It is winter, colds are EVERYWHERE and being inside with lots of dust, people, forced air can only aggrevate this.

D.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #6

george_roger HB User

I am again experincing the sore throat symptoms.
Could this recurring sore throats be due to some other reason - like EBV or mono?
Please clarify.

Thanks a lot.
Roger

Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lost spirit HB User

Are you still living in the same apartment? You're symtoms could be caused by any number of reasons . Have you been checked for other std ? Or you're sore throat could be caused by realy bad alergies due to the mold and fungas in you're apartment or even dust and that's why you're problems are becoming even more frequent . See a doctor and get checked out it is probably just alergies.
In good health ...........
.......... Lost Spirit .................

Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #8

george_roger HB User

Actually, i've moved out of the apartment two months back, and there were no symptoms up until yesterday again. So, i'm not sure what it is. Could it be related to opportunistic infection or not? So, between last Sept and now, i have got these symptoms atleast once a month on average.
Thanks for any responses / suggestions.

Roger

Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

lost spirit HB User

I would check with you're doctor and have him take some bloodwork (just to make sure)
Nothing strange is going on but the symtoms could be alergies .
Get an air purifier . I don't know if I can say name brands here so ill give you a hint .
Get the kind that uses metal rods (NO FAN)
And (NO FILTERS) it makes no noise the rods act like a magnet to attract dust and dirt and they work very well (I have 1 )
And now I dust about once a month ( and that's pretty good)
As far as hiv is concerned it is very unlikely that you were exposed through the way you specified and even if there was vaginal fluid present in the lotion the virus would have died shortly after it hid the air and hiv doesn't carry through salive(BECAUSE THE MOUTH ISN'T A VERY HAPPY PLACE FOR HIV) it is full of enzymes , acids , antibodies and other things to help destroy it .
For sanity sake get tested at the 3 month mark after last possible exposure and if you feel necesary for other std as well but I'm thinking it may be allergies .
.......... Lost Spirit ..............

Old 04-05-2005, 06:17 AM   #10
(male)

GhostAston HB User

In order to infect, HIV needs to attach itself to the cells of your immune system. It achieves this either through direct contact with your mucous membranes or with your bloodstream. HIV needs an airtight transmission route to infect, exposure to the air weakens the virus to the point of being non-infectious. HIV is transmitted one of three ways:

1.) Unprotected receptive/insertive anal or vaginal sex and (RARELY) unprotected receptive oral sex

2.) Blood to blood contact via needlestick exposure

3.) Mother to infant

Being masturbated is not a risk factor for HIV. The only theoretical risk would be if she bled all over your penis, but that would only be theoretical and something you definitely would notice.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #11

george_roger HB User

Thanks for all your responses so far.
I read all these posts about Herpes and EBV and tons of other STD's. With the kind of exposures that i had, could u advise on what all should i get checked for? I am really stressed out.

Regards
Roger

Old 04-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
(male)

GhostAston HB User

The only remote (and I mean very remote) risk would be if someone had a syphillis chancre on their hand when they masturbated you. The odds of that actually happening are beyond rare, but if you're looking for something that could happen somewhere, somehow then that would really be the only thing. Two monts post-exposure is enough time to get tested for syphillis if you wanted to. I really don't think it's necessary, but if it will make you feel better then you can go ahead and do it.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

I think you're fine, as you need contact with fluids to catch most STD's that would cause any sore throat..as ghost said, there could be a syphillis chancre on someone's hand, but the likelihood of that are really small...do you smoke? are you suffering from dry mouth? have you ever had tonsillitis? Any of these things can cause a sore throat

Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #14

george_roger HB User

Thanks all for your patient responses.
Actually, the symptom's have been the following so far:
After about two months of the mentioned exposure's, i got a mild fever which lasted atleast a couple of weeks - especially high during nights and receding in the daytime, also sometimes intermittently sweating in the nights. Its like on and off for two weeks. After that subsisded, then these cold and sorethroat symptoms have been occuring consistently atlease every month. They usually get trigerred when i drink cold fluids, or get exposed to cold weather outside. Something like an allergic reaction. I have not had tonisilitis before and i dont smoke although i used to have some mild asthma until i was 3 or 4 years old. My anxiety / concern is that could the mold that i mentioned before have contributed to the initial fever and then these recurring symptoms (although i have moved out of the apt)? Or something else related to stds?

Thanks again
Roger

Closed Thread