It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

cluelessgrl HB User
Unhappy So unbelievably confused

Ok here's my deal! I lived in Saint Thomas, USVI for six months. I was raped by this guy while I was down there. 6 months later I became extremely tired, got sick when I tried to eat any kind of food, and my throat got so swollen I couldn't swallow a thing. I got tested for mono.... which came back positive. Fours months after that my pap came back abnormal. They tested for HPV which also came back positive. Of course I've never heard of this before even though it's one of the most leading std's out there. So I started researching, and both mono info and HPV info both said it could due to an infection of HIV. I've had four UTI's this past year, which is completely not normal for me. I've only had sex with two people before I was raped. I also had these very small dry skin patches since living in saint thomas. My boyfriend just got one in december. This past week I've had this on going headache.... more like constant pressure. I've gotten a few sores on my tongue and my throat is beginning to become sore again. I can't tell if I'm stressed from all this thinking and worrying or it's possible for me to be infected with HIV. Or maybe the mono is still affecting me? I have a test next week for the HPV thing and I will ask my doctor about this, but I need to know now before I cause myself a heart attack! If I was tested for mono and it came back positive can that be confused with HIV? or can HIV cause mono? Any and all info will be helpful since I'm not that experienced with all this sex stuff. I know all it takes it once.... please help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User
Re: So unbelievably confused

The only way you are ever going to know, is to get tested. Not even a doctor can diagnose HIV from symptoms.

As for your HPV, this is so common that more sexually active people have it than those who don't. The HPV is the most likely cause of your abnormal pap so it is important that you attend any follow up treatment the doctors recommend and have your paps regularly. As long as you do this, it should cause you no further problems.

Researching ilnesses on the internet is just about the scariest thing a person can do to themselves, so stop doing this or you will drive yourself crazy. As an experiment, think of a few illnesses you do not have any type these into a search engine - you can pick anything as minor as a cold and anything as serious as cancer - I bet the search engine will probably bring up sites relating to HIV!

As your exposure was over 6 months ago, your test would be accurate so you might as well have this done to put your mind at rest.

Closed Thread