It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
(male)

Wonk HB User
Herpes or HIV or Both?

A few weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex with a person who has a questionable history. Two days later, I got a sore throat and sore red spots appeared on my tongue as well as just not feeling good. I figured that this was Herpes as I have never been exposed to either HSV1 or HSV2 Herpes viruses and this sounds exactly like the symptoms. I started feeling better over the next couple of weeks but the sore red spots would come and go on almost a daily basis. The sore throat lasted about two weeks and then went away.

Three weeks after my initial exposure, I had unprotected sex with a friend with no kissing as I figured that I was still shedding for Herpes. A couple of weeks after this, my sore throat came back, along with the re-occurring red spots, but this time, I was very fatigued. The fatigue lasted a couple of days. My friend also had some unusual fatigue but also had headaches. This was at the 38 day mark for me and about the 20 day mark for my friend.

Does this sound like I could have been infected with both Herpes and HIV at the same time?

I am going in for an HIV test today (42 days after exposure). If this test comes up Negative, am I in the clear or do I need to be re-tested at the 90 day mark?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lost spirit HB User
Re: Herpes or HIV or Both?

Any unprotected sex has its risks .
It could possibly be herpies but I would get checked out just to make sure its not a bacterial infection . As for the hiv/aids test you need at least 90 days to get tested for a clear result .
In good health .......
......... Lost Spirit .........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

90 days is good, but 95% of all people who will test positive, will do so before then...you might as well wait for the 90 day period since you're pretty close, but if it's keeping you up at night, you might as well do it now....I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated!
-S-

Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

Wonk HB User

The Oraquick test that they did came back negative at 42 days so I feel a little better. I am now waiting for the 90 day mark for the next test so I am still a little nervous.

Thanks for the support.
W

Old 05-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
(male)

stevenr HB User

I believe the 90 day window is outdated information. 13 weeks is considered conclusive and seems to be the more widely accepted window these days. The CDC has to be conservative and 99% will seroconvert by the 13th week. I have did so much research and spoke to so many people regarding HIV/AIDS. There is more evidence concluding that 13 weeks is conclusive. I have read that most people will seroconvert 4-6 weeks after exposure. And, if you had a test at 6 weeks it is usually a good indicator of how the 13th week will turn out. I wish I could post all of the great sites I came across but it violates the terms.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk
A few weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex with a person who has a questionable history. Two days later, I got a sore throat and sore red spots appeared on my tongue as well as just not feeling good. I figured that this was Herpes as I have never been exposed to either HSV1 or HSV2 Herpes viruses and this sounds exactly like the symptoms. I started feeling better over the next couple of weeks but the sore red spots would come and go on almost a daily basis. The sore throat lasted about two weeks and then went away.

Three weeks after my initial exposure, I had unprotected sex with a friend with no kissing as I figured that I was still shedding for Herpes. A couple of weeks after this, my sore throat came back, along with the re-occurring red spots, but this time, I was very fatigued. The fatigue lasted a couple of days. My friend also had some unusual fatigue but also had headaches. This was at the 38 day mark for me and about the 20 day mark for my friend.

Does this sound like I could have been infected with both Herpes and HIV at the same time?

I am going in for an HIV test today (42 days after exposure). If this test comes up Negative, am I in the clear or do I need to be re-tested at the 90 day mark?

Any advice would be appreciated.
--------------
It sounds to me like Herpes (Not HIV). Your first out break usually has more than one bump "a few or more" (sort of like a blister). At first they're much like a blister. Red, a little puffy, with clear fluid inside. After a few days they start to get smaller & crust over,, then heal. "Inside" your mouth though they would not crust over.. they would just be kind of red, then white like a sore in your mouth that was healing. Fatigue, swollen and/or tender lymphnodes-(usually in the groin area), some people feel flu like from it. You CAN get it in your throat, mouth, genitals, lips, EYES (SO MAKE SURE NOT TO TOUCH YOUR EYES while you have an outbreak because herpes in your eyes can cause you to go BLIND!). You can even get it in a scratch, pimple or any opening in the skin if it comes into contact with the blister (or saliva from your mouth if you have them in your mouth during an outbreak). Some people know they're going to have an outbreak because the area you get them in will sometimes "tingle or be a little itchy". You can even spread it to other areas of your OWN body so, NO PICKING or touching it. Make sure to wash your hands often while you have an outbreak with antibacterial soap for 30 seconds & rinse for 10 seconds (scrub hard). There is so much you can find about herpes & the symptons on search engines using those key words. A LONGGGG time ago I kissed a guy who I thought had a zit above his lip (no biggie - who doesn't get a zit, right?) wrong! I caught herpes.. on my lip from kissing him. I had dated him for about a week at this point - he didn't have the blister before that week.. anyway, I got a blister on my lip in what seemed like the very next day. I looked in the mirror & thought YIKE that's a big ol' zit! He said.. no.. you've caught my coldsore.. I thought a cold sore was something you got in the winter or from dry cracked lips.. Wrong again. He never told me it was herpes but he did give me some prescription creem to put on it that did help it dry up faster. Well, him & I didn't work out. I later got ANOTHER so called cold sore & went to the doctor to get some prescription acne pads & he told me I had herpes! I'm not sure if it's HSV1 or 2 but I know you can get both in all the places I explained above. I later went to the health department to get educated on herpes & whoa do they have a LOT of info, photos & a professional who will talk to you about every STD you can imagine. I learned that you can infect other people very easily while you have an outbreak and that people can catch it from you even up to 3 days BEFORE the blisters come. Herpes supression meds are expensive
but they do help keep it under control (less outbreaks). I've been very careful & paid attention to my body over they years and can tell when one is coming on.. so, no kissing or drinking after people during this.. You can live with herpes pretty easy. It's a bit of a pain when it comes but as you get older you get less and less outbreaks. Just be responsible & don't infect anyone. By the way, inorder to be SURE you have herpes, find a doctor or health department that will do a "herpes CULTURE test". (for those of you who have had the symptoms as this person has don't freak out and scare yourself into thinking you have HIV - just get a herpes culture done at a doc) You have to do this while you have an outbreak because they must get fluids from the blister or sore to find out. Blood tests are pretty much useless in finding out about herpes.
You'll have an outbreak anytime your immune system gets low from a cold, flu, etc... You can also get them from sun exposure (I always get one if I go to the tanning bed or get burnt in the sun). You can get them in really cold weather too. An upset tummy can bring one on. The fastest way for it to heal is not to touch it and keep it dry and clean. If it's "inside" your mouth then use antibacterial mouth wash a couple of times a day to help kill germs in your mouth. (if it's in your eye.. SEE A DOCTOR & get supression medicine), don't get too much sun, stay away from tanning beds and try not to get chapped skin from cold weather. Keep your immune system as healthy as possible so, you don't have a lot of outbreaks.
I hope this info help...
Take care,
T.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
(male)

jetset79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenr
I believe the 90 day window is outdated information. 13 weeks is considered conclusive and seems to be the more widely accepted window these days.
isnt 13 weeks equivalent to 91 days? so whats the difference?

Last edited by jetset79; 05-23-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Closed Thread