It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Inactive

CFH HB User
white coating goes away after brushing with toothbrush

is the white coating the same as thrush? if i brush my tounge it goes away however it comes back if i dont brush it the next day

Old 08-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
(male)

Abakos49 HB User
Re: white coating goes away after brushing with toothbrush

i had something similar when i was on hepatitis c therapy a couple of years ago, the doc said it wasn't thrush. i think it's a film that's built up due to dry mouth. you can get a prescription mouth wash called Periogard that will knock it out relatively quickly. also, there's over the counter mouth wash called Biotene that works well too. best of luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

If you're worried about thrush, it usually appears as a thick coating in the mouth and when you scrape it away, it bleeds, and is painful. The white coating you're describing that you can brush away is normal bacteria buildup.
-S-

Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #4

Kraskwhoor HB User

If it was thrush it would be white patches that cannot be brushed off and can be very painful. If it were indeed Thrush it would also likely mean you have advanced HIV infection. Stop worrying about it and get tested.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Although a person that is HIV+ can get thrush it is not a strictly HIV+ related problem. Thrush can develop from taking antibiotics and a few other reasons. CFH if you had thrush you would know it. Imagine having a tablespoon of yellowish cottage cheese stuck to your tongue that is very painful.

Go get tested and stop stressing!!!! All you are doing is creating more symptoms.

Casey

Old 08-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

Carat is correct. To say that Thrush is indicative of an advanced stage of infection is wrong and scary for those who are worried. However, thrush is indeed a painful experience, that CAN be scraped off, and this is indeed done when a doctor, the only person who can give you a yes or no, wants to diagnose it.

Trust me, my tongue went practically multi coloured. Im not exaggerating (sp), you are going over your body with a fine tooth comb and noticing things that you have never noticed before. Test and stop the stress you are inducing on your body.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Inactive

CFH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJon
Carat is correct. To say that Thrush is indicative of an advanced stage of infection is wrong and scary for those who are worried. However, thrush is indeed a painful experience, that CAN be scraped off, and this is indeed done when a doctor, the only person who can give you a yes or no, wants to diagnose it.

Trust me, my tongue went practically multi coloured. Im not exaggerating (sp), you are going over your body with a fine tooth comb and noticing things that you have never noticed before. Test and stop the stress you are inducing on your body.
i bumped up my original thread basically i had a orasure test done after 21 months of possible exposure i was told i was negative but i a western blot was done and i am unsure on whether or not it was negative or indetermediate as i threw away the paper

on the bottom of the page with my results it said test result negative

Closed Thread