It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

Brian1416 HB User
Concerned

I have been sexually active with my girlfriend since November last year and am concerned about an illness I had back in March. I had gotten severely swollen tonsils and lymph nodes and a nasty sore throat that made it very difficult to swallow anything including liquids. Over two weeks the doctor prescribed me different antibiotics but had no affect on giving me relief. Blood tests were done next which revealed I had an active CMV infection in my body. The doctor prescribed prednisone which eliminated the swelling and soreness in my throat. A week after the sore throat was gone I developed horrible muscle pains in my neck and back which lasted a week. After the muscle pains were gone I developed a rash around my groin that lasted another week. I also noticed that I started to sporadically get these tiny little water blister looking things on my torso. I may only have a few at a time on my torso but they keep showing up even today. I have noticed these same exact things on my girl friend's chest. I didn't become concerned with my illness in March until recently when I got a lump in my neck that was diagnosed as a swollen salivary gland. While reading about causes of swollen salivary glands, HIV came up as a possible cause and I started reading more about it. Now I am starting to wonder about the illness that I came down with March. I have been using condoms during intercourse but unfortunately there have been a few instances when one was not used. Could it be possible that the positive test results for an active CMV infection were actually due to an HIV infection? I was not tested for HIV. I'm just now becoming concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User
Re: Concerned

Woah. Listen Symptoms mean exactly nothing buddy. Stay away from the internet because it will lead you down a dark path. Im speaking from experience. Do you know your own or your g/fs status at all? The only answer is to get tested but your symptoms are not HIV specific. Any immediate illness comes then disappears very quickly.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

I agree with Mr Jon. Sometimes some illnesses will throw our bodies out of whack - - especially CMV. CMV can leave your body in a funk for months...You should get tested either way, simply because you've engaged in unprotected sex, but do not take this experience (being sick) for more then what its worth...Chris will tell you..."sometimes a cold is just a cold"...Good luck
-S-

Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
(male)

uk_worried_guy HB User

yes, i agree, sometimes post-viral illnesses and things of that nature can REALLY mess your bodies chemical balance for a while, for months (or years).

HIV is not an easy virus to catch, tehbody.com had an excellent analogy of "cake making". Unless the oven is at the right temp, all the ingredients are right, and so forth, the cake will not come out right - if even one of these things is slightly off, the cake will be ruined!!! ultimately, HIV Is the same, its a clever virus, certainly, but its NOT a resilient one in early stages. It requires so many things to be in place for effective transmission to take place.......

A test will put your mind at rest though, but like panasonqiue & mrjon said - symptoms = nada!

Most of the worries people have about illnesses, and rashes and all that jazz - thats LATER STAGE HIV - blisters, and all those things eg: thrush and whatever - very rarely associated with early stage HIV infections........

Closed Thread