It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 02:47 AM   #1
(male)

ahuseman HB User
Need an opinion on a probable exposure

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old male and was positive I was "clean" before a few days ago. Anyways, I was with a few friends when one of them burned me with a cigarette playing around. So I turned around and threw a punch at him, accidently hitting his tooth, but didn't cut open his mouth. His tooth left about a half-inch long, moderate-deep cut on on the outside of my hand right below my knuckle. But the thing is, is that he has had sex with over 70 (that is 70!) girls. And he claims he's "clean" according to the last time he got tested which was about a month ago. He also said he doesn't remember bleeding at all in his mouth at the time it happened. So is there a probability I could have caught perhaps HIV from my situation described? (If he is infected.) Or should I just get tested to be safe? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by ahuseman; 11-20-2005 at 02:54 AM.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: Need an opinion on a probable exposure

Well, I will probably offend some people here but let me give you some thoughts to work with:

"Clean" is a pretty disturbing term to use because of the implication of its opposite. There are tons of people who are HIV+ who, I would hope, would take offense to being considered "dirty" or "unclean". And, for the most, while people who are HIV+ have come a long way towards acceptance, the vast majority of the Christian community, and the current administration would suggest otherwise.

But that's as far as the lecture goes. Here are some thoughts about HIV: it doesn't matter if he had sex with 1, 5, 70, or 170. Unprotected sex with the wrong person, whether it's your first person or your 70th, could lead to an exposure. Second, a lot of people here, especially women, will tell you that their partner told them that they'd been tested and had received a negative result. Now, those women are infected by the same partner who said they were "clean", as you put it. Finally, "yes" it is possible to contract the illness if you had an open wound that comes in contact with body fluids (blood) from someone who is HIV+. Bottom line? GEt tested. Check with your local clinic, physician, etc. about the time frames for getting tested. Good luck. chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Inactive

CFH HB User

cuts bleed out. you only need to test after unprotected sex or injection drug use call the cdc hotline and ask them

Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

that's correct, "cuts bleed out" but if he had abrased his knuckle and that created an opening for the infected person's blood to enter his sytem, then he could be infected. But, go ahead and ask the CDC! HIV is caused when bodily fluids are exchanged. Since blood is a bodliy fluid (as is semen, vaginal fluids, etc) then there is the oppotunity for infection. chris

Old 11-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lost spirit HB User

If you punched some one in the mouth , you're fist broke skin in his mouth and then was punctured from his tooth ........ Yes that would be classified as an exposure .
Fighting in general or any form of blood to blood contact through a fight blood in the eyes and punctures would be very good grounds for an exposure .
TO CFH :
Blood has to enter directly into the blood stream either through a needle ( iv drug use ) or the eyes would also make a good entry point .
Cuts in general do bleed out but a puncture takes longer to flow out and would give the virus time to enter the blood stream or in the case of a needle the puncture would seal itself instantly .
Being cut on something like sheet metal where the blood would be rite out in the open and exposed to the elements would kill off the virus very quickly versus a needle where the virus is protected and surounded by blood with no air to circulate and expose it to the elements .
But an outside source like a knife , sheet metal or even broken glass that some one may have been cut on NO ..... I highly doubt it ...... Even if it did have some life left in it the virus wouldn't be strong enough to even be infectous .
In good health .............
.......... Lost Spirit ................

Old 11-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
Inactive

CFH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost spirit
If you punched some one in the mouth , you're fist broke skin in his mouth and then was punctured from his tooth ........ Yes that would be classified as an exposure .
Fighting in general or any form of blood to blood contact through a fight blood in the eyes and punctures would be very good grounds for an exposure .
TO CFH :
Blood has to enter directly into the blood stream either through a needle ( iv drug use ) or the eyes would also make a good entry point .
Cuts in general do bleed out but a puncture takes longer to flow out and would give the virus time to enter the blood stream or in the case of a needle the puncture would seal itself instantly .
Being cut on something like sheet metal where the blood would be rite out in the open and exposed to the elements would kill off the virus very quickly versus a needle where the virus is protected and surounded by blood with no air to circulate and expose it to the elements .
But an outside source like a knife , sheet metal or even broken glass that some one may have been cut on NO ..... I highly doubt it ...... Even if it did have some life left in it the virus wouldn't be strong enough to even be infectous .
In good health .............
.......... Lost Spirit ................
hiv transmission is confusing

Last edited by CFH; 11-21-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Closed Thread