It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

o_janus_o HB User
How soon can HIV symptoms show up?

My partner and I had sex for the first time in about a year the other day (I have another illness that causes low sex drive.). About thirty six hours or so later I developed a fever that reached about 102 before it broke in the night. I had no other symptoms and the fever was gone and I was completely back to normal about 24 hours later from the beginning of the illness.

She had one encounter some time ago with a good friend of hers that ejaculated in her mouth. I know the friend and while you can never be 100% certain of someones status, I'm fairly certain that he is negative. He's been in a long term monogomous relationship for about a year now with a very cautious young woman. Though he could unknowingly be infected, I am certain that he would never deliberately do anything to put anyone at risk.

The only other possible contraction that my partner could have would have come from a friend of ours who is positive. They have been known to share a *ahem* straw at times. Other than that my partner perpetually has little cuts on her hands and our friend is clumsy. My partner once picked up a bloody tissue.

I know these are all very low risk activities, except the oral encounter, so I'm not too concerned, but my partner has been suffering from TERRIBLE fatigue the past few months and that fever is bugging me out.

So, I guess my question is, how likley is it that I could develop a one day fever with no other symptoms 24-36 hours from the time we had sex if she was positive?

Thanks,
Janus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User
Re: How soon can HIV symptoms show up?

It's about as likely as getting hit with lightning...ARS, or the symptoms that show up after initial infection take about 3-6 weeks to appear. The virus has to invade your cells, and that takes time. Rarely, does it take 24-36 hours.
You're probably fine, but perhaps you and your partner should go on a date to the STD clinic if you have any worries.
Best of luck
-S-

Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Inactive

rockstar213 HB User

1) Depression
Everyone has had days where they were feeling a little "blue". We all have been "down in the dumps" or felt "blah" But when these feelings last longer than a couple weeks you may be suffering from depression.

2) Diarrhea
Diarrhea can be a life threatening problem if not treated correctly and rapidly. But what can you do about this nagging problem? Take a look.

3) Thrush
We have all had morning mouth...that stale, pasty, bad tasting yuk that coats your mouth each morning. But never fear because with one good brushing, your mouth is as fresh as a daisy. But what if the bad taste and and white coating doesn't go away with a simple brushing? Then you may have the most common HIV opportunistic infection...thrush.

4) Weight Loss
Weight loss is a common problem in HIV and AIDS. Unless you are actively trying to lose weight by exercising and watching what you eat, weight loss is a serious problem.

5) Lipodystrophy
People infected with HIV are living longer and more productive lives. A large part of the reason is the introduction of medication combinations into standard HIV care. But with the benefits of medications also comes some unforeseen problems. One such problem is fat redistribution syndrome or lipodystrophy.

6) Lactic Acidosis
This emerging problem can make you sick, miserable, and can even be fatal. But what is lactic acidosis?

7) Sinus Infections
Your head feels congested and full. The pressure behind your eyes makes it hard to concentrate. The pounding in your head and face is relentless. The dreaded sinus infection.

8 ) Fatigue
Fatigue is a common problem in HIV and AIDS. To treat fatigue, one must decide what is causing the problem.

9) Nausea / Vomiting
Nausea is not only aggravating and can make you feel sick, when associated with vomiting it can be dangerous.

10) Burning and Tingling of the Feet and Hands
That burning in your feet can be very painful.

If you have symptoms from above I insist you seek a doctor

Old 01-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

Thanks all! We'll still go get tested just to be sure, but you made me feel a lot better. I was never really scared, but it was a constant nagging concern I couldn't shake.
I appreciate it. Take care of yourselves!

Closed Thread